I'm sick of the US and all you yanks...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, its funny how you can have to heated wars with a country and then end up their best ally, and you Brits are our best allies, and you are all appreciated. I will send you the best wishes back on Guy Fawkes day in October :). Penny for the Guy...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, "No Taxation Without Representation" was never more than a rabble rousing 18th century 'bumper sticker' penned spur of the moment by one of the Adams boys. England found out that it was just an empty PR ploy when they finally offered to acquiesce to that demand and the colonies went to war anyway.

A good example of 'T w/o R' in the States is the fact that if you own real property in a state other than the one in which you reside you must pay property tax on it each year -- even though you may not vote there and thus have no say whatsoever how the money is spent. There are many other examples in the States. It's a great hot-button phrase, though.

Thanks, Leduk.

I was never in the service but on the 4th I always recall a 4th I spent in the early 80s with our boat under armed guard on the Amazon. The Brazilian Navy was holding the ship (fortunately for us) and we had the run of Manaus for five days. Kinda nice.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for those brits that may be confused as to the friendly words going back and forth here, I suggest to you that you're listening too closely to the BBC, which has really taken a dislike to America lately. I dont know what we've done to the BBC to warrant such ire, except watch every program that they export :) (And CHEERS to the BBC for making some new Dr Who episodes!)

I'm not too many generations removed from my English roots, I have the Hillaries on one side and the Goodalls on the other. Visited some relatives in Arkengarthdale not long ago.

bucken

Enlightened
Today is the 4th, and it's been dark outside for awhile. I haven't seen or heard ANY fireworks ANYWHERE, tonight! Oh Yeah! Maybe it's because my business trip got extended and I'm still in the UK! If there's any doubt, let me confirm that today is definitely NOT a holiday in England. I even had to work, today! And to make matters worse, I just purchased the COSTCO jumbo fireworks package 2 weeks ago!

I enjoy being in the UK, but I sure do miss all the fireworks and celebrations! Happy 4th, everyone! Cheers!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Costco sells fireworks now? where?!!!

Not in California I am afraid, where the people are striving to turn the state into a UK-like institution. fireworks without permits is a no-no here. Eh at least the people aren't THAT afraid of the cops yet here so eevryone is breaking the law...

No hard feeling from the UK CPFers, yeah?

happy 4th guys. I'm stuck in doors doing homework(summer school) and eating hot-pockets(the HDS, the HD45, and my shotgun drained my bank accounted for months to come...). Dang it...

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
I think it's great that the UK doesn't separate out the 4th as a special day. Rob was able to mail my RAW Ti today. That would not have happened here in the US.

Steve

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
PhotonWrangler said:
I think the tea has gotten a bit diluted by now, so I'm not gonna worry about it. Best wishes being sent across the pond to you also!
A bit diluted...and a bit on the salty side too!!! :green: Yuck!!! :sick2: That's not "tea", it's "tee-tee". :sick: ;) :sick:

I lit some Whistling Petes today - the first fireworks I've shot off in a LOOOOOOOONG time - they're illegal in Seattle - even sparklers. Last time I used any fireworks I still lived in Alaska. After dark this evening, my sister and I are going to my parents house across town to light some more fireworks - things that produce more colors than sound. :)

SolarFlare

Enlightened
:party:
270winchester said:
Not in California I am afraid, where the people are striving to turn the state into a UK-like institution. fireworks without permits is a no-no here. Eh at least the people aren't THAT afraid of the cops yet here so eevryone is breaking the law...

No hard feeling from the UK CPFers, yeah?

Why would there be any hard feelings? We can buy and use fireworks whenever, the only stipulation is "over 18"

Happy 4th guys :party: :buddies:

leduk

Enlightened
You can get decent tea in the States. I heard that nice Mr Moby interviewed once about his tea bar. Perhaps I should start exporting 10 English Breakfast tea bags at a time to those who want. On our long list of "previous form" is the empire, we had a good look at where the best tea came from. Another hangover of the Empire has resulted in the UK's most popular food, the curry. Aaaaaaah, curry, mmmm.

I used to work for a UK company formed and driven by a couple of US guys. One of the employees, a US lady, always came in on the 4th with egg nogg and held a party in the evening. Happy days.

Anyway, fireworks? It will only be a matter of time before they get banned.

Guy Fawkes? "The only man ever to enter parliament with honest intentions."
:touche:

Cheers

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually celebrated the 4th with an English couple and an Australian. We barbequed a package of Costco hotdogs labelled: "Chicago's Best Hotdogs: US recipe made in the UK". I suppose if there is comraderie at the sausage level, then what's a little tea between friends? Happy 4th everyone! :)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
fireworks? It will only be a matter of time before they get banned.

Interestingly enough, they just got UNbanned here in Georgia. After moving here I was very upset that I couldn't even buy a sparkler for the 4th but this past year they changed their minds about it. So now every store carries overpriced packs of what they call "novelties" not serious rockets or anything, but mostly lots of fountains and the like.

Perhaps this is an indication of the retreat of the nanny state? nah...

As far as tea, I drink quite a bit around here. If you order "tea", you'll get it iced and teeth numbingly sweet. If you want it without sugar it's called "un-sweet"

I do remember that curry in London was the BEST thing to go out for. I hear the restaurant business in England has undergone a bit of a renaissance but when I was last there in '88 even going out for a pizza was a crap shoot. The curry on the other hand, was WONDERFUL.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in NY - Long Island - to be a little more specific. Fireworks have been banned here for as long as I can remember, And yet - every 4th - from about 8:30PM until 10:00PM it is like the there never was a ban. Everything from firecrackers, to bottle rockets, to roman candles, to the ones that explode in the night sky.

I have always wondered what it must look like for people flying in to the airports here..

It is a good day for a BBQ and be with family - maybe go to the beach..

jezzyp

Enlightened
Happy celebrations to all in the states.

We now let off fireworks here in the uk to commemorate some chap trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament!! Which is as bonkers as you setting off fireworks to celebrate your independance.

Funny old world - Still any excuse to light up a light to set off a firework.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My small town of 12,500 residents, in a fairly rural area, spends less than a $1 per person on a half hour fireworks display. A least $100k was spent, colectively, by the public for their private fun. Even our bicentennial celebration in 1976 didn't come close. Around here, very good fireworks are abundant.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
Here in Florida I lit up 4000 Black Cat firecrackers, a roman candle pack, and about 50 bottle rockets

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
I was never very good at history, and this thread has surprised and confused me. I hope I'm not getting the wrong end of the stick here.

It is stunning to think that two nations fell out over tea.

It is equally stunning to think (if I understand some posts correctly) that some nations, other than the UK, are currently in possession of tea.

If this is true, could all the offending nations please return it, in unopened packets. Then we will say no more about the matter.