I'm thinking of living in an RV, Know any good forums?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of buying an RV, 5th wheel or trailer to live in since my family was hammered in Hurricane Rita. The idea became attractive to me as a way of moving my home out of harms way, I guess.
Anyway, I don't know anything about them, so I was hoping to get some advice from those who know here. Especially if someone could point me to a good forum where people discuss living in them, not so much traveling in them.

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in a 25 foot 5th wheel for almost 10 years while in the Navy. It takes some getting used to.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
me too. I had (still have with my brother in it) a 27 ft. Prowler. It's in a chaparral environment and because of the rodents I wish I had gotten one of these instead:

http://www.horizonsrv.com/

they are the only rv's conciously built rodent-proof from the ground up. Rodent proofing a rv after the fact is impossible and the little guys, and the big guys, LOVE a nice warm rv on a cold night!

there are lots of other features to recommend this brand, you'll find out when you read about them.

anything else you wanna know, just ask me. :)

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
no clue about the RV, but the best pulling rig is a Dodge Cummins turbo diesel.

12 valve Cummins are the tuffest! 12v were made from 1994 to early 1998. get a 5sp if possible. auto if you really look after it.

most desirable years are 96 & 97.

Diesel Truck Resources is the best CTD forum http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

Last edited:

Raven

Enlightened
I gave some thought to this subject several years back, and all I could think about was:

1. wrecking my RV (where would I live while it's repaired)
2. the cost of engine repairs and maintenance
3. the rising price of gas/diesel
4. the limited living/storage space
5. the lack of security

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have lived on a boat for several years at a shot. I am single, can't imagine it with a family. Lot of things you have to get used to, lots of systems to keep up with and maintain. The wear and tear of normal living on a RV is very significant, more so with a family.

I recently had a guy that did some work for me that worked for a local state park. He lived in a RV at the park and had for five years. He was about mid 40's, divorced, and had some navy pension coming in as well. He told me he had a rent house, but he was doing this to save money and get used to the life style. When he had enough money, he was going to just cruise the US until he couldn't do it anymore.

I have an uncle that recently bought a RV with a huge Cummins turbo diesel, 18KW Westerbeke generator, and all kinds of slick electronices. $280,000. Buy a pretty good house around here for that.

All in all, in might not be a bad idea. I have thought about it because of boat issues that I have had.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
you might try seeing that new-ish Robin Williams movie, I think it was "rv" or "rv vacation" or something like that, that's a real accurate portrayal of the rv life...
especially the septic tank emptying scene! :lolsign: :laughing: :toilet: :candle:

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedTheLed said:
.....especially the septic tank emptying scene!
Even worse is when you have to replace a faulty slide valve on the holding tank.
eeew.gif

And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.
sick2.gif