In/Outdoor Beamshots M6|LX2|E2DL|A2L|A2|U2|M60/W,M30|TK11|RRT-1|M30|M20|Jet-III|6PL

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Indoor/Outside Beamshots LX2|E2DL|A2L|A2|U2|M60/W,M30|TK11|RRT-1|M30|M20|Jet-III|

Not a problem my friend.
I quite like the photo myself, which is a change... I don't like many shots I take :p

I don't personally use rechargeables in my Surefires, however I believe some people do with great success in certain models, try doing a search as there are many threads about that topic!

:thumbsup:

Cool - I work for Canon. :)

Thanks for the response - and I called myself searching and searching, but I think my searches were too specific. I backed off on the words and found a post that had this link:
http://www.lighthound.com/Rechargea...n-Batteries--Lithium-Ion-Battery_ep_36-1.html
And it was very helpful. Looks like it is okay to use them, but seems best to get protected and 3.0V only. Every day something new is learned is a good day!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Indoor/Outside Beamshots LX2|E2DL|A2L|A2|U2|M60/W,M30|TK11|RRT-1|M30|M20|Jet-III|

I gave in. Just ordered the LX2 - BatteryJunction is including 12 free primaries and I ordered another 12, but no rechargeables. Figured I could see how it works out and always order them later, or perhaps technology will refine the rechargeable.

I usually run my lights on high for about 15 minutes each morning. If can get 2 hours out of a battery, that's 8 mornings for the cost of 2 batteries.

We shall see - meanwhile, can't wait to receive the LX2. Even sprang for second day air!

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened

This was a helpful :wave: post as I am looking at both Lx2 or M20.
Thanks
Now if I can just handle an M20 to feels its size quality as compared to the lx2.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks
Now if I can just handle an M20 to feels its size quality as compared to the lx2.

I have an M20 and it is my favorite light. If the LX2 is better than the M20 it'll be an awesome light!

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened

and if the M20 put out 500 lumen like that titanium limited edition M20?
:paypal:

kwkarth

Enlightened

Thanks
FWIW:
I have an M30 and really like it. The other day, I found a new Tactical Gear/training Shop not too far from my home. They happened to carry Olight and Fenix, along with SF. I looked at and handled the M20, and was somewhat dissapointed at the construction quality. The M20 that I saw was a couple of notches below the M30 in construction quality. Really surprised me.

In any case, the anodization on the Olights I've seen is of a poorer quality than what you'll find on Surefires, at least on the ones I own and have seen.

The finish on the Olights is more like a powder coat paint, (so it flakes off rather easily) rather than a electro chemically altered surface of the aluminum itself like on Surefires.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Enlightened

FWIW:
I have an M30 and really like it. The other day, I found a new Tactical Gear/training Shop not too far from my home. They happened to carry Olight and Fenix, along with SF. I looked at and handled the M20, and was somewhat dissapointed at the construction quality. The M20 that I saw was a couple of notches below the M30 in construction quality. Really surprised me.

In any case, the anodization on the Olights I've seen is of a poorer quality than what you'll find on Surefires, at least on the ones I own and have seen.

The finish on the Olights is more like a powder coat paint, (so it flakes off rather easily) rather than a electro chemically altered surface of the aluminum itself like on Surefires.

Its supposed to be a type III hard-anodized. It cannot be powder-coat if it is type III ha finish.
Anyway mine seems alright to me, matter-of-fact, when compared to the finish of my Surefire U2,
I like the M30s better. The finsih on the U2 has several different hues, in places it even appears brownish-red.
The M30 is all black, all the time. I have fitted mine with a lanyard, this usually prevents dropping.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to agree with kwkarth on the HA comment... I recently mentioned this in another thread!

After about a week of pocket carry, my T10 was all worn around the tailcap. I have since replaced it with my E2DL which I'm constantly getting keys snagged on and it is still perfect!

:shrug:

kwkarth

Enlightened

I have to agree with kwkarth on the HA comment... I recently mentioned this in another thread!

After about a week of pocket carry, my T10 was all worn around the tailcap. I have since replaced it with my E2DL which I'm constantly getting keys snagged on and it is still perfect!

:shrug:
Yes, the color match of Surefire's HA-III may not be perfect, but it seems the integrity of the anodization is top notch. While I'm not too much worried for fashion's sake of colors matching I am concerned that both the substrate (aluminum) is hard enough to support the less malleable HA surface and that the surface of that substrate has been properly prepared to accept the process. If my lights were just shelf queens, it would not be an issue, but they all get used.

Also, I didn't "SAY" that the coat on the Olights was a powder coat, I just said it seemed or acted like a powder coat, I really don't "know" what it actually is, we just know what the manufacturer says it's supposed to be.

Since the light dented so easily and the top coat (black) flaked off so easily, I can say from experience its nowhere near as "tough" as the surface of any of my Surefires. I don't remember what Olight specs the aluminum to be, whether 6061-T6, 7075, or what, but if it's too soft of an alloy, no amount of HA treatment will be able to withstand even a little bump. Don't get me wrong, I still love the light, but the surface treatment could stand a lot of improvement.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, the color match of Surefire's HA-III may not be perfect, but it seems the integrity of the anodization is top notch. While I'm not too much worried for fashion's sake of colors matching I am concerned that both the substrate (aluminum) is hard enough to support the less malleable HA surface and that the surface of that substrate has been properly prepared to accept the process. If my lights were just shelf queens, it would not be an issue, but they all get used.

Also, I didn't "SAY" that the coat on the Olights was a powder coat, I just said it seemed or acted like a powder coat, I really don't "know" what it actually is, we just know what the manufacturer says it's supposed to be.

Since the light dented so easily and the top coat (black) flaked off so easily, I can say from experience its nowhere near as "tough" as the surface of any of my Surefires. I don't remember what Olight specs the aluminum to be, whether 6061-T6, 7075, or what, but if it's too soft of an alloy, no amount of HA treatment will be able to withstand even a little bump. Don't get me wrong, I still love the light, but the surface treatment could stand a lot of improvement.
I have never seen true Milspec Type-III HA on a Chinese made light, except for the Legion-II (basically, a custom-made light). I can count on my fingers the number of lights/manufacturers which deliver a real HA treatment:

ARC
SureFire
Inova
Muyshondt
Fivemega
Leef Bodies
Amilite
Jill
RA/HDS
Novatac

I test all light coatings using a Spyderco with a blade made of pure ZDP-189 steel with hardness in the range of 65-66 Rockwell Hardness.

Fenix/Olight/EagleTac/Lumapower/Tiablo/Dereelight/Quark/Nitecore/Zebralight and virtually all DX lights FAILED miserably in these tests. They are all selling a B.S version of HA.

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened

I have never seen true Milspec Type-III HA on a Chinese made light, except for the Legion-II (basically, a custom-made light). I can count on my fingers the number of lights/manufacturers which deliver a real HA treatment:

SureFire
Inova
Muyshondt
Fivemega
Leef Bodies
Amilite
Jill
RA/HDS
Novatac

I test all light coatings using a Spyderco with a blade made of pure ZDP-189 steel with hardness in the range of 65-66 Rockwell Hardness.

Fenix/Olight/EagleTac/Lumapower/Tiablo/Dereelight/Quark/Nitecore/Zebralight and virtually all DX lights FAILED miserably in these tests. They are all selling a B.S version of HA.
Suspicions confirmed. Thanks Outdoors Fanatic! I have a few blades made of ZDP-189 as well, what do you do, scrape lightly in an inconspicuous place to see if the surface is marred?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Happy Place:twothumbs
The LX2 came today
IMG_2225.jpg

And I love it. Interestingly, it feels lighter and is slightly smaller than the M20. The spot on the M20 is more concentrated but about half (or less) the size of the Surefire spot. More defined spill on the M20 - it'll be interesting to see how they compare in pitch dark tomorrow morning.

I know the size will be great. The M2XC4 is a heavy hand full to carry on a dog walk - I'm really hoping that the LX2 is all I'll need to carry. Granted, it wouldn't make much of a weapon, but that (hopefully) won't be an issue on dog walks!

IMG_2228.jpg

At first I wasn't too sure about the interface. Seems like a pain to lock the light in the 'on' position, but after fooling with it for a while I think it is actually a great UI. I like the firm, positive feel of the clicky and the 2 light levels. Heck, I never leave them on constantly that much anyway, and I like the way you can lock it on low then push the button for a brief burst of high. So I am changing my signature - i know own a Surefire, and although I have not found total wisdom, I am beginning to see - unbelievably solid construction and American made! "Ah, grasshopper, you are beginning to approach the portal of knowledge!"
lovecpf

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gotta love the feeling of unpacking a brand new SureFire...

G23fan

Newly Enlightened

Run4jc,

How are you liking the LX2?
I am looking to purchase my 1st "real" flashlight..lol

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened

That Lx2 is looking sweeter & sweeter

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated with Moddoo R2 Tripple and Quark 123 Tactical Neutral.

M6, and M2 coming up within the hour.

:thumbsup:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated :thumbsup:

It was quicker than I thought lol

Ctrain

Enlightened
How much do you love the M6 Dime? Its one awesome light! Fit, finsih, the worksjust downright beautiful... Its a happy day when a Surefire arrives at the doorstep! They even have their own distinctive smell :)

kwkarth

Enlightened
Dime,
I have to say that your beam photos are the most useful that I have ever seen. Both close and medium range, they really tell the story.

Thanks you again for such a great job!

Latest posts