In praise of the Opalec NewBeam

Angus

Newly Enlightened
I just received 2 NewBeams and I am really impressed with these kits! The beam is the "most white" LED that I have ever seen.

In side-by-side comparison with the PT Attitude, it is equally bright (Although the Attitude does have some hours on it).

The hot spot of the beam is white with a greenish-yellow aurora. The hot spot of the Attitude is blue with a bluish-purple aurora. All this and 100% regulation! For some reason I love the thought of a totally regulated light.

The NewBeam may become my preferred light next to my AAA LE (I make this disclaimer so that I won't receive hate mail from Saaby).

I just wish that the minimag was totally waterproof like the Attitude.

Ben H

Enlightened
I also just received an Opalec NewBeam. It was brighter than expected and seems to run forever on NiMH batteries. I love that it is regulated and has a low battery indicator. I put it in an older mini mag that already has many marks of 'character', so I don't have to 'baby' the flashlight.

I took it camping this weekend along with a PT Aurora and a 3AA Brinkmann with a ls direct drive. Compared to the light of the NewBeam the Aurora has a blue tint and the Brinkmann ls has a faint yellow/green tint.

The NewBeam was a perfect light for close distance work, and it's light regulation was awesome.

My camping trip confirmed to me that the headlamp rules! Two hands are always better than one. I can't wait for a regulated ls headlamp. My current dream headlamp would be waterproof, run off 3AA's, and use SF's KL1 head.

Angus

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I put the other NewBeam in the glove compartment of my truck with Lithium batteries as an emergency light.

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
I also have the Opalec and already its my favorite cramping light. It runs forever, uses practically dead batts, and when it finally does get dim I still have sort of a moon mode for hours. I use it around the house a lot too - its my favorite grab light. But my bread baking light is my BadBoy -- its bright.
--Ðøug
cool_shades.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
that's why i'm really hoping Opalec comes out wif a 1w Luxeon version similar to their Newbeam.
does anyone knoe if they have this on their drawing board or there's no intention on their part at all?

franken2

Newly Enlightened
saint tanic, i think you're looking for inretech 2aa white module. mine has worked perfectly, and beats the pants off my attitude. not to knock pt though.

Deviant

Enlightened
franken2

like witsend has pointed out it's not modulated. the best abt opalec is i can use my spent batts from my digi cam and light output is still great.
i dun expect a superb runtime on a luxeon version of newbeam but it should suck the batts dry.

for inretech i'm watching the MEGA 6, hope luxeon pushes out the 5W white luxeon fast. in the mean time will be looking around on how to get the 2D mag to power the MEGA6

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saint Tanic:...hoping Opalec comes out wif a 1w Luxeon
franken2:...you're looking for inretech 2aa white module

Although, seems like on some brightness charts I've seen, the inretech is not much brighter than Opalec/Attitude even though it is a Luxeon?