In the USA is it legal to cuss out a cop?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
... any sort of enforcement on any number of minor infractions = petty retaliation due to a butt-hurt ego.

With the above stated, I have never been disrespectful to any LEO and I've always been treated fairly or given a break.
If you treat police officers with the respect they deserve, you may get off with a warning on minor offenses. If you cuss them out, that’s a red flag to them and they are going to cross every t and dot every i before letting you go. That doesn’t make them petty. They have to be thorough when you give them a reason to be.

Treating someone with respect who deserves it is easy. Treating someone well who doesn’t deserve respect will help you avoid conflict.

“A fool’s lips bring him strife, and his mouth invites a beating. A fool’s mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul.” -Proverbs 18:6-7 of the Bible.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don’t know about legal or illegal, but it’s not advised 😂😂😂😂

DRW

Newly Enlightened
No, they are absolutely not like everyone else. LEO have the power to detain, arrest, and lock someone in jail for little to no reason.

Probable cause is always required in the U.S. It can be hard for a layman to understand probable cause.

Frequently, a magistrate is involved in locking someone up in jail.

Citizens may make an arrest in the U.S. for felonies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I've been harrased by cops for no reason. Roughed up and even accosted by cops who knew me but they were bad cops. Karma has taken care of each and every one.

I still strongly support police knowing most are just doing their part to protect and serve a community or their state.

The problem is it takes 1000 attaboys to erase one "oh ****" so it appears one bad apple can spoil a whole bunch very easily.

I work with statees and local yolkals in my line of work and nearly every one says their biggest fear is not the camera or the press. Their biggest fear anymore is stopping at a red light and being shot because of the uniform they wear. Over worked, under paid and often under appreciated until it's time to call 911.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Do Police Officers deserve cussing out just because they are Police Officers? Why is it only sometimes wrong? Is it wrong to cuss out your Mom?
Not just because they are police officers. But sometimes they behave in ways that deserve being cussed out. Same with my mom. (I mean, my mom has never behaved that way, but yes, sometimes moms deserve being cussed out).
Police Officers are people, and like everyone else, they make mistakes as a cop, parent, spouse, brother, friend, colleague, and with strangers. They have good days and bad days.
Police officers are people, but they are not just like everyone else. They have a unique authority that means it's not acceptable to "have good days and bad days." LEOs absolutely must behave professionally and lawfully even when they're having a bad day. Harassing someone over minor infractions as retaliation for protected, if disrespectful, speech ain't that.

LEOs often seem to have the attitude that, "If you don't respect me I won't respect you." Seems fair, right? Not in reality. Authority figures who use that phrase are referring to two different types of respect. There's respect for authority and there's respect for a fellow human being. What those LEOs actually mean is, "If you don't respect my authority, I won't respect you as a person." A seemingly fair philosophy is actually twisted and abusive.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I think people are not understanding me. Which is normal I suck at explaining my self. I don't want to cuss a cop out and I won't do it. I just like to know my rights . Many brave men fought to give us us citizens many rights and freedoms I just want to know them

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have freedom of speech and you have the right to remain silent. If the first right is going to get you in trouble, exercise the second one instead. Nobody is saying you don’t have a right to say something that can make the cops mad at you. However, having a right doesn’t necessarily mean there won’t be consequences for your actions. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think people are not understanding me. Which is normal I suck at explaining my self. I don't want to cuss a cop out and I won't do it. I just like to know my rights . Many brave men fought to give us us citizens many rights and freedoms I just want to know them

It's very very simple. Don't screw with the cops. Don't argue with the cops. It's "yes sir no sir thank you sir" for the duration of the encounter. Obey their instructions. The street is not a court of law, you won't win your legal argument by the side of a road against a cop. He'll haul you into jail instead. It's the courts' job to determine who is "right".

If you think you've been wronged, consult your lawyer after the fact. If you've been arrested and charged of course, you'd better be consulting the best lawyer you can get. Eventually after maybe three years go by, you'll get your day in court. And all of this costs lots of money of course. So you may "win" your case, but you've still paid dearly.

Some of the above is based on discussions I read on a gun forum years ago, but the thing that stuck with me was either a cop or a lawyer had told everyone "stay out of the legal system if at all possible". It's a big bureaucratic mess and if you get into it you'll be tossed around like a cork in a whirlpool.

Lastly, if you really want to know laws and "rights", read the laws and legal codes for yourself. Do you really think a random internet forum discussion is a good place for legal advice?? Hell no it isn't. Get on the various .gov sites for your state and the federal gov sites and read the actual codes if you really want to know.

Too much trouble? Tedious? A big mess, yeah? Well, that's why lawyers exist, and why they cost so much money. If you don't want to bother studying all that yourself then stay out of trouble, be nice to cops, and do everything you can to stay on the right side of the law!!

For Pete's sake Raggie, from your other posts this year it sounds like you've got plenty enough other things to worry about without trying to stir up crap with the police!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Not alot of upside mouthing off to cops.

remember, they are effectively a division of our armed forces,
& just may save your *** someday.

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
Probable cause is always required in the U.S. It can be hard for a layman to understand probable cause.

Frequently, a magistrate is involved in locking someone up in jail.

Citizens may make an arrest in the U.S. for felonies.

Did you watch the video? Would you like links to a hundred more? How many arrests result in a 24-hour sleepover only to have all charges dropped the following day?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
One very smart lawyer told me these things when i was about 15y.o. Never trust a cop, never believe a word they say, they always lie, and never talk to one without a lawyer. i followed his advice for 35 years, and never had any issues so far.
Another myth that has been around that only small fraction of cops are bad cops, and vast majority is a honest hard working guys and gals, well it could not be farther from the truth, the ratio is 15/15/70. and it can not be anything else since it is true for every trade where humans are involved. 15% are worst d bags corrupt, abusive and will not think twice about ruining your life just to scratch their ego. another 15% are direct opposite, the 70% are basically nothing, a blank page, they will conform to whoever they work with, if they work with a d bag they will be just like them, they work with a good cop, they will act like it. However every cop obeys thin blue line, anyone that says they reported other cops, and stayed on force, i do not believe it for a second, if they do even once, the black stain of being a rat will be on them for their entire carrier, however short or long it is, they will be retaliated against, and will not get a chance to report other cops again. just google what happens to those cops that cross that blue line.

Chauncey Gardiner

Flashaholic
For Pete's sake Raggie, from your other posts this year it sounds like you've got plenty enough other things to worry about without trying to stir up crap with the police!

I haven't read anything raggie33 wrote in this thread that indicated he was going to stir up crap with the police. Furthermore, his threads provide a springboard to some interesting dialogue.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I haven't read anything raggie33 wrote in this thread that indicated he was going to stir up crap with the police. Furthermore, his threads provide a springboard to some interesting dialogue.
Ty sir. And this is true I'll never cuss a cop matter fact I wave hello to everyone I see. And if they stop me I'm polite and I thank them for there work... If I ever have issue with law enforcement I'll use the proper avenue to remedy from talking to there chief to etc etc

raggie33

*the raggedier*
And stress test you are right about 1 thing I do make to many post and I promise I'll slow down for you and others. It isn't fair for me to post so much

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
It's very very simple. Don't screw with the cops. Don't argue with the cops. It's "yes sir no sir thank you sir" for the duration of the encounter. Obey their instructions. The street is not a court of law, you won't win your legal argument by the side of a road against a cop. He'll haul you into jail instead. It's the courts' job to determine who is "right".

If you think you've been wronged, consult your lawyer after the fact. If you've been arrested and charged of course, you'd better be consulting the best lawyer you can get. Eventually after maybe three years go by, you'll get your day in court. And all of this costs lots of money of course. So you may "win" your case, but you've still paid dearly.

Some of the above is based on discussions I read on a gun forum years ago, but the thing that stuck with me was either a cop or a lawyer had told everyone "stay out of the legal system if at all possible". It's a big bureaucratic mess and if you get into it you'll be tossed around like a cork in a whirlpool.

Lastly, if you really want to know laws and "rights", read the laws and legal codes for yourself. Do you really think a random internet forum discussion is a good place for legal advice?? Hell no it isn't. Get on the various .gov sites for your state and the federal gov sites and read the actual codes if you really want to know.

Too much trouble? Tedious? A big mess, yeah? Well, that's why lawyers exist, and why they cost so much money. If you don't want to bother studying all that yourself then stay out of trouble, be nice to cops, and do everything you can to stay on the right side of the law!!

Raggie we know you were just angry and so you started this thread to get your anger out. Whether it is legal or not to be rude to a cop seems like was just your reason to post. It’s ok. More activity on candlepowerforums provides more revenue for Mr. Ed, right?

I agree with Stress_Test.

Any governmental official does you seriously wrong could result in a sizable lawsuit in your favor. Continue your kindness and respect. Try to forgive others. That doofer-tube-spit with the loud pipes is not going to put quieter mufflers back on. Leave him alone in his (possibly) dreary existence. Who knows, like an alcohol fueled, idiot tattoo, he may no longer even like his car exhaust note (just trying to show other possibilities).

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I want angry it was just a question. For real àre my post this confusing lol .I seldem get angry unless I see someone get harmed harm me just laugh it off lol. For real I'm afraid to post anymore if this is how much I confused others lol.im sure it's my fought