Incans are ideal for Halloween

bykfixer

Flashaholic

^^ best of both worlds...
Nite Ize filament bulb replacer. $9 at big box stores.

^^ wanna go back incan?

In a nice retro package

I do same with old Mag 2D lights. Put the bulb in the tail cap for times when only the incan will do.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bumping a cool old thread to see how many would still use an incan for their Halloween lighting tasks.
I sit on my porch to pass out candy and use a flashlight to light steps for the little kids to see them better.

This year I'll be using a boosted 1969 2C Kel-Lite that puts out about 150 lumens to light the steps. Of course I'll have an LED for backup in case the bulb poofs.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I was looking through my small amount of Mag stuff to see if there was any interesting incan combo I might put together.

I thought it'd be neat to try something in the 2C Mag, so I got the spare bulb out of the tailcap of my old '90s 3D Mag, and put it in the 2C with a single 18650 cell (with some card stock wrapping and longer spring). I added a reflector from one of those (Rayovac?) industrial 2D incans I had laying around. The reflector is faceted and a bit shallower than the Mag's, and it makes for a more spread-out hotspot.

However, that reflector still makes a pretty ugly beam, so I added a stock plastic lens that I'd roughed up with some sandpaper. (in hindsight, something much finer like a Scotchbrite pad probably would've been better).

Results in a beam that has the broad spill that full-sized Mags are know for, but with a smooth hotspot that transitions evenly to the spill beam. Granted, the light output is only the same as any 3-cell incan, but it's maybe 30 lumen(?) or so, and the 2-C makes a pretty compact package, and lightweight with only a single 18650 on board.

Plenty good enough for around the home!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
My neighbors 4 kids will be using magnetic "fridge lights" with 3d printed adapters,18650 cell,and a "xenon plus" bulb.
They will also be taken to several parties in a 57 chevy.
Yes the whole family likes the old stuff.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if either Incandescent or LED lights are more affected by ghostly activity. You wouldn't want your light to go out in the middle of a haunted mansion.
That will greatly influence my decision here...
monkas.png

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if either Incandescent or LED lights are more affected by ghostly activity. You wouldn't want your light to go out in the middle of a haunted mansion.
That will greatly influence my decision here...

Hmm, well, ghosts, spirits, monsters etc are traditionally afraid of fire, right? And an incandescent light is essentially a "burning" filament giving off light and heat, right? So for scaring them off it seems like incan would be best.

Whereas if you shine an LED light at them, they may just go "LOL whut is that?!" and then give you a nasty wedgie or whatever it is they like to do to people.

:eek:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering whether a ghost was more likely to blow a bulb or mess with electronics. Both is commonly seen in horror movies. But what is more likely?
If it's fire they fear then maybe I should use a lantern. But don't people light candles to attract ghosts? This is all so confusing.. :au:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the candles and ghosts connection is the thing where people light a single candle, go into the bathroom with the lights off (obviously), then stare at their face in the mirror to try to summon a ghost.

I read some very interesting articles not long ago which described the resulting phenomenon. Apparently it's a real thing. In very dim lighting, and staring fixedly at your own face in the mirror for a long time, your brain does something weird and tries to "fill in the gaps" I guess, and you see a distorted version of yourself, often something horrible.

It's similar (I think) to that slideshow thing you may have seen several years ago online that had well known celebrity faces popping up in each image, but the image was split down the middle and a different celeb was on each side.

Apparently, the viewer ends up seeing a wildly distorted mash-up of the celebrity faces. It goes back to the "missing info" phenomenon. The brain is viewing the combination of two well-known faces but as they blip by at a rapid pace, the brain tries to fill in the missing half from each person and produces a distorted result.

Anyway, that's my random tangent for the evening.

And NO I will NOT be trying the dark bathroom mirror ghost thing. Ever. My dreams are disturbing enough already.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering whether a ghost was more likely to blow a bulb or mess with electronics. Both is commonly seen in horror movies. But what is more likely?

Oh, and to answer your question (maybe..), it's been my understanding that the thing with the flashlights going screwy is that the ghosts/spirits/etc are draining the power from the device. I.E., sucking down the battery power and making the light go dim, then go out entirely.

Don't know if that's because spirits are supposed to be (or create) local cold areas and batteries don't like cold; or if the idea is that spirits can absorb/drain or otherwise mess with electrical / electromagnetic stuff (edit: energy). I would guess the latter concept.

So, maybe the LED would be better, because it can keep producing light even if the available energy from the batteries is greatly reduced? Assuming it doesn't hit the low-voltage cutoff!! :D

Whereas incans pretty much stop producing any usable light once the available wattage drops low enough, other than the filament faintly glowing.

Of course, the standard CPF answer is: Use both!!! :)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only a few hours till dark.... Anybody getting ready to rock an incan tonight?? :au:

( If I was actually taking someone out trick-or-treating I'd be using my SolarForce with a body extension, 2 x 18650s, and a SureFire P90 bulb )

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I don't own any incans, or old-fashioned torches, but I'm for sure on board with the spirit of it :popcorn: The great magic about LEDs is you DON'T have to run them full blast. So a 3500K Nicha 519A burning about 20 lumens and absolutely nothing more* is a good addition to the atmosphere...

*: unless it's necessary, natch

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
684788BA-33B3-459C-A988-F25895927318.jpeg

Got my all stock pre-D 2 cell Maglite out for this year.
Bowl-o-candy guard tool, right?
I restored it with all new parts except the switch that was disassembled and cleaned a while back then put in a new krypton bulb.

Edit:
By the time I would have needed a flashlight it had begun to rain some and all the little kids were gone. No flashlight needed for guarding the candy or lighting up sidewalk cracks. So I turned it on and shined it on a neighbor 2 doors down across the street. We met in the street and he asked what kind of light it was. When I said "stock 1980's Maglite" he said "really? I don't remember them being that bright".

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 34194
Got my all stock pre-D 2 cell Maglite out for this year.
Bowl-o-candy guard tool, right?
I restored it with all new parts except the switch that was disassembled and cleaned a while back then put in a new krypton bulb.

Edit:
By the time I would have needed a flashlight it had begun to rain some and all the little kids were gone. No flashlight needed for guarding the candy or lighting up sidewalk cracks. So I turned it on and shined it on a neighbor 2 doors down across the street. We met in the street and he asked what kind of light it was. When I said "stock 1980's Maglite" he said "really? I don't remember them being that bright".
Who mfgr'd the tailcap with D-ring, reminiscent of Fulton, very cool!

Edit; Quick search appears OEM item, and at one time could be ordered at Wally Mart, go figure.. I must not have been active with Mag during that time, don't remember seeing them

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really for Halloween, but I've been running some KD p60 incan Xenons (3.7v and 9v) in my Solarforce hosts recently. Really like them in general.

But yes, ideal for Halloween.

That said, a modern LED light running Anduril also helped with some lightning effects, something a regular incan torch can't do.

mesa232323

Enlightened
Using an incandescent for daily purpose is like using a 60 muscle car as a daily commuter. One exception, the streamlight polystinger is my daily use light for checking fuel tanks. I've tried to get away from it with expensive LED. That side switch and focused beam can't be beat. Everything else is too big and bulky or just burns a hole in your pocket like I've experienced many times.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me thinx it came from an Amazon seller for around $10 a few years ago.
Part number 108-000-009.
But be aware.... may cause cancer in California.

LOL apparently everything causes cancer in California. I think every item I've ever looked at on Amazon or other online stores has the CA warning on it.

Even swords!! A big honkin' Cold Steel sword had the following on the seller page:

warning-icon
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

Gosh, never mind it's a giant piece of sharp steel, the REAL danger is that it might give you cancer! As for "reproductive harm", well it's more likely to be caused not by the sword material but rather by screwing around with it and accidentally lopping off some high-value body parts!

ANYWAY, that tailcap ring on the MAG looks like a really good idea. Don't know why they never implemented something like that. One of my gripes is that there's no lanyard attach point on the full-size C and D lights. There are ways around that yeah, but still....

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It was the pre-downsized D size lights Maglite made them for.

I made my own attachment point
01C26033-965E-46C7-B45A-CF2F1B65FD4F.jpeg

Drill 1/8" apart 1/8" deep with a 1/8" bit at a right angle, does not penetrate into the cap in such a way that will allow water intrusion yet is sturdy enough to hold the lanyard.
That's an ML25
75AD019B-C3EC-4234-9C34-0AE242130A24.jpeg

ML150