Inexpensive Clip for HDS Rotary Flashlight

dannn

Newly Enlightened
@mau91 - thanks for the tip! I just got a clip and it feels great on the light. It will scratch the finish on the light if it moves but I'm not concerned about keeping the light pristine.

I put a clip from a Streamlight ProTac 1L on my Tactical Rotary (clips on their own are sourceable from BrightGuy for $4.10) Fits very tight and secure:
HDS_with_Clip.jpg

ash211

Newly Enlightened
I know the feeling of not wanting to scratch your new HDS. Perhaps an idea might be to put a piece of paper or something between the body of the light and the clip when putting it on? It might be really difficult to remove the paper afterwards though; it's a super duper tight fit.
Someone posted in another thread about using shrink wrap on the clip. You could also try that spray on rubber sealant.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I had that set up. No matter what you do you will scratch the body. It is very, very tight. I don't think the clip will move much once on but you would really scratch it taking it off. No worries unless you plan to sell it.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
I am disappointed that the head is not sealed.sounds like you take the head off and the guts are exposed like a P60

Well the light is rated IP67, so to a depth of 20m. I'm not really worried about it being exposed once I open it up :p

Edit: Hadn't noticed your comment was several months old so my reply is probably obsolete.

bartko09

Enlightened
I had that set up. No matter what you do you will scratch the body. It is very, very tight. I don't think the clip will move much once on but you would really scratch it taking it off. No worries unless you plan to sell it.

Not sure I'd take it off. Even when trying to sell it. Either way, it worked out great.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I'm LarryLove over on the other board. Here's how the Zebralight SC600 clip works:

The clip came very, very close the the rotary dial, but does not touch. Just to be safe, I installed an o-ring between the clip and the dial to give it a little breathing room to be sure there would be no contact.

I pulled the clip off my Zebralight to try it out, and it's not perfect but it worked so well I bought a couple extra from Zebralight for future use.

FYI all... I'm still using the Zebralight clip on my Rotary. It never did scratch the anodizing but I recently shrink-wrapped the clip ends since then to prevent any wear, just in case.

LedTed

Enlightened
The following are my personal: experiences, recommendations, and opinions - concerning pocket clips for HDS flashlights; Clicky and Rotary. YMMV :eek:

In general and for either light, per the HDS "Universal Pocket Clip", stay away from that monstrosity.

For the Clicky, I again recommend staying away from the HDS clip and getting the EDC Titanium version.

Having tried it, I agree that the clip for the ZebraLight SC80 and SC600 works "pretty good" on the HDS rotary. However, even with the addition of heat shrink, I found it a little loose on the flashlight and as it clipped to my pocket.

Keeping with the Rotary, and again for me, a better alternative is the pocket clip for the Fenix LD22. I recommend adding heat shrink tubing. Had I not had to order this clip from another country, it would have been more affordable. But, the secureness with which the clip retains itself to the HDS and the sureness in which the end of the clip grabs my pocket made the purchase worth the price.

As of the writing of this post, there are eBay listings for 20 – 22 mm flashlight clips which appear somewhat similar to the LD22 clip.

See the Fenix clip in the picture directly below.
FqCumC4u8932B_KZK-7RBkurpIroheuWzLJlUcy2bLq-qw3OVYIQZn6kYvaY3GHA9tYPZlkIU39CkrigeE9LNEO3hM4X2MmLygmSCayISRG7HFhB2FPyh-4ac5wr4kjuMn-2qazHAjp4A3gkdn75SHo5gvwrLvfbD2ZEdVL7mMU2uS1CxssfC-UbbHclzeP8a6w9Dt8O_39Z9yl2_Jt-sg8wtK_FeHzKkn0A9lWrpNJW-xkEJNHWecZYfJ2IaZya2jLbcPFXiRPlXHCSOfdSB0uVj79_8L_esGd8Y-1rV_e7S8zmAp5VStBzQt89RxwQPnKx4BcZr-1lhABCkI966SAZitMXKEaM9Rdokz534XeIp8-ULwR2Vw1tdjhi5Ok2LIUw2YvZVTuL6J-tIMntbsdJhn1EyDGGaiZCXFm-Oh3BXHE1cYIMTpCI5j6_M7tuvTZQu-ljIH4prEu4kDPVaAsKhyAjCY_I32OcDo4A_HOoPzXP4WWm_IgxqASvg8PV2F5skcEkBfN8aUcGtjFPZEGAnq8PnRw-ydw5rDJeTLF9ShuLs0CyjXsXHlElXAk=w800-h600-no

Last edited:

LedTed

Enlightened
As of the writing of this post, there are eBay listings for 20 – 22 mm flashlight clips which appear somewhat similar to the LD22 clip.

I just got the clip described above. It is a little less solid and a little more springy than the Fenix clip. The retaining part reaches a little further around the HDS body and the clip portion is a little shorter. The Fenix clip I got was black. The new clip is silver.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
As I recently ordered an hds rotary and am trying to find a clip for it I was wondering if anyone has tried the reversible clip that comes on the protac 1l-1aa model that takes both 123s and aa's. I can't really tell by looking at it if it will work or not and since mine doesnt come for around a month I cant experiment either. If it does work that would be fantastic because its my favorite type of clip.

LedTed

Enlightened
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I do so with a purpose.

After about a year and a half of daily work carrying my HDS via the pocket clip for the Fenix LD22, the flashlight fell out of my pocket; presumably with clip attached.

I lost the flashlight while handling heavy recycling bins. I performed about a half dozen deep stoops and chest high lifts. This movement was somehow enough to knock the flashlight out of my pants pocket.

I just thought those who also clip carry the expensive HDS might like to know.

See the Fenix clip in the picture directly below.
FqCumC4u8932B_KZK-7RBkurpIroheuWzLJlUcy2bLq-qw3OVYIQZn6kYvaY3GHA9tYPZlkIU39CkrigeE9LNEO3hM4X2MmLygmSCayISRG7HFhB2FPyh-4ac5wr4kjuMn-2qazHAjp4A3gkdn75SHo5gvwrLvfbD2ZEdVL7mMU2uS1CxssfC-UbbHclzeP8a6w9Dt8O_39Z9yl2_Jt-sg8wtK_FeHzKkn0A9lWrpNJW-xkEJNHWecZYfJ2IaZya2jLbcPFXiRPlXHCSOfdSB0uVj79_8L_esGd8Y-1rV_e7S8zmAp5VStBzQt89RxwQPnKx4BcZr-1lhABCkI966SAZitMXKEaM9Rdokz534XeIp8-ULwR2Vw1tdjhi5Ok2LIUw2YvZVTuL6J-tIMntbsdJhn1EyDGGaiZCXFm-Oh3BXHE1cYIMTpCI5j6_M7tuvTZQu-ljIH4prEu4kDPVaAsKhyAjCY_I32OcDo4A_HOoPzXP4WWm_IgxqASvg8PV2F5skcEkBfN8aUcGtjFPZEGAnq8PnRw-ydw5rDJeTLF9ShuLs0CyjXsXHlElXAk=w800-h600-no

alex74

Newly Enlightened
hello is a bit expensive but this can be an alternative
is on sale by "darksucks.com" is titanium and costs $ 25
if you are willing to spend more there is the blue and blue / yellow titanium version at $ 30
hds-clip-master.jpg

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used both the darksucks clip and the similarly priced Overready clip. The Oveready has better retention by far. I still have the darksucks on my old Novatac since its a smaller, lighter light, but all my HDSs wear Oveready clips. It should be noted, however, that current production Oveready clips are slightly too narrow and have to be dremeled out just a bit to fit.

jtPtSJp.jpg

ReMlzbQ.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would prefer bezel up carry for my rotary but too much trouble figuring out how to install the ring type clip then adding a new oring somewhere. Baffling despite multiple descriptions. Wish HDS did it for me.