Infrared and medical use?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone posted

"I also would like to track down a 670NM IR led light. All of the IR Leds I have been finding are around 890nm."

That is not possible, 670nm is visible RED

Hemingray

Enlightened
I had posted this pointer a couple months ago, I suppose that I can add it here, about LEPT (Low Energy Photon Therapy).

http://www.alliedlighttherapy.com/page1.html

THis should get you pointed in the right direction. They are obviously selling a product, but there is enough useful data for the experienced DIY'er to roll their own and save big $$$$. I have experimented with 660 and 880 nM red and IR with some positive results in small wound healing, and for helping my right knee which was seriously injured last year (required surgery, a week in the hospital, six weeks in a cast and six more weeks before I was fully mobile again. The IR & red does seem to help allieviate
the occasional dull aches and pains as well as Ben-Gay, without the goo and the smell 8*P.

/ed brown in the frozen wastelands

Hemingray

Enlightened
Also, the Luxeon "dental" series of Royal Blue emitters is used to harden the new composite fillings, my dentist has one of these units.
They come in 1W and 5W, and are basically high-priced versions of the standard 1 and 5W emitters. Medical equipment = big $$$...

I made up a 1W , 3D flashlite using one of the RB emitters, it really makes white clothing glow an eerie bright blue. And any "day-glo" colors really light up, almost as good as under UV light.

/ed brown

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by reptiles:

I'm a paramedic and often work with kids with really small, hard to locate veins ...getting an IV line is often challenging.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mark,

I have an ordinary 2AA Mini-mag that has been modified with a red/orange Luxeon Star LED. The thing is INSANELY bright, so I tried some tests.. It was kinda weird probing my hands and arms to test a flashlight but, WOW ! I could see all the way through my fingers, knuckles, and about the first inch of the metacarpals. The bones appear as a different (lighter) shade than the black looking blood veins. The veins kind of "weaved" a patteren around the bones. I could even see my knuckle "working" inside as I flexed my fingers open and shut. It looked like an X-ray!

On my upper & lower arms, I could easily see the veins, but never with the light directly over them. Holding the light against the skin and moving it around allowed the veins to show up AROUND the circumference of the light beam. However, no veins were visible under the DIRECT beam. Still, just by moving the light around you could tell right where they were.

I got these results in a dark windowless bathroom while holding the "muzzle" of the flashlight tightly against the flesh so no light could "leak" out.

Your interest in this has sparked my mutual interest enough that I plan on ordering a straight Red Luxeon (as opposed to Red/Orange) in my next order for further testing and to see if there is anything to the reports of thereaputic benefits. Good topic, and welcome to CPF..

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Entropy:
Anyone know how well 625nm (Luxeon red) light will work?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I bought a Red 1W lambertian to test with and it works even a little better than the Red/Orange. Apparrently the longer the wavelength, the better the light penetrates...

Entropy

Enlightened
I was thinking on the lines of these LED therapy experiments people have been doing. Probably the Luxeon reds will work, but who knows.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be easy to just get a radio shack project box and put those 3 or 4 led's you want with resistors. Maybe get the small reflectors ab is selling.

I have seen the effect of IR by using one of those "nightvision" cameras. You can see viens in people quite clearly and it's kind of wierd.

rdwilson

Newly Enlightened
IR is, of course, invisible to the human eye. Intrigued by the idea, I tried an experiment using a Surefire 3DL LED illuminator and an ITT 160 Gen 3 NVD. The LED was not strong enough to transilluminate the tissue. No surface reflectivity changes were noted that would give any indication of venous location.

I'm not sure of the exact wavelength of the IR source.

reptiles

Enlightened
Thanks for all the interesting replies. I haven't actually seen the 1W or 5W red emitters mentioned.

I look forward to futhur experimentation.

Regarding the use of blue LEDs with optho (floro) dye... most work really well. Better than the standard penlight with blue filter everyone uses presently.

=Mark

reptiles

Enlightened
Can you point me to a source for the 1W 625nm Luxeon?

I might try to mount it in a Maglite using the knowledge contained in this forum <grin>

=Mark