Inova Magic!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought an Inova on the Marketplace: Just because I don't have any- and I like the looks of this model.

It had a very poor quality beam, and was very weak. This is not the fault of the gentleman who sold me the light...I got a great deal.

So I thought...could I change the led? I've done this often. I decided to take the front end apart to see about an Led change. WoW-what a difficult job! I had to destroy everything inside to get it apart.

What could I do now. I had a nice shell. Wonder if this would fit?

IMG_1476.jpg

By sheer luck....a drop in is the exact size to fit. It wasn't easy- but here it is!

IMG_1478.jpg

The length inside is 3 123 batteries. I ordered a dummy 123 so I can use 2 123 primaries with my drop in. You could use a driver that handles 9 plus volts instead.

I now have my Inova...and it's a great light!

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you get it apart? I've had no luck. I even tried filling it with water and freezing it to get it apart.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel is screwed on. Put the light in a strong vise with wood liners. I first heated the front in boiling water....but don't think it's needed. Protect the bezel...use your hands at first...if no luck- try wrapping the bezel- and carefully try pliars.

Once you get the bezel off---this is the hard part...the next part is just press fitted--very tight. I used a vice grips and forced the inside piece to turn and wiggle until it came out...took a while...definitely tore it up.
The glass drops out. now turn the light on its nose and get a big punch. I had to beat--hard to drive the led holder out...destroyed everything in the process.

I gave up trying to save any inside parts. I just didn't want to mess up the outside.

Now the bezel is just lightly glued on the front of the light...I had to file about 1/16th " off the drop in front end. THe drop in is just exopied into the light. The Inova is positive end towards the back. Had to reverse that- and use a magnet to overcome the recessed tailswitch.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my X2, the reflector and stuff is totally inside the bezel, no way to grab on to it. Hence the ice. Also, I already destroyed the ano and stuff, so I'm not too concerned about damaging it further. Oh well, maybe it's staying that way. Makes a great hammer! :crackup:

Oh, I wish I'd've known you were going to take it apart. I could have helped you with that. The way to do it is via the "freeze-pop" method. There is good info about that somewhere here on the forum.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I wish I'd've known you were going to take it apart. I could have helped you with that. The way to do it is via the "freeze-pop" method. There is good info about that somewhere here on the forum.

Yeah, no luck for me. All it did was get a bit of rust on the reflector. The light still works though! Tough as nails.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Which model Inova is that? It looks like my two AA Inova. Also, what drop in did you use?

Moving this to Homemade and Modified Flashlight Discussion forum.

Bill

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe this is the X03 model. This early model had a glass lens. Any drop in will work. I only wanted one just because I like the looks of this model...but decided to operate on it afterwards. Never tried freezing..only boiling water. Uses 2 123 cells.
My operation only applies to this larger head model....not the smaller slim models.

chitoz28

Newly Enlightened
Nice mod, but what drop in did you use that fits? I've had mine open for a few years thinking to mod it, but haven't got around to it.

Hill

Enlightened
Took my inova bolt AA apart as well. Hard as hell to get the reflector out. Destroyed everything on the inside, but mod here turned out great.