Inova X5 on LIons?

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
tomcat017 said:
Hey Everyone,

Just wondering if it's possible to run the X5 on any combination of LIons for some free lumens :grin2: . Thanks!

It's a non-regulated light, so the extra power available will probably damage it. But there are people here who can be much more definite than I on this, I'm sure.

Btw - you can buy AA lights now that are much brighter than the X5 (Jetbeam, Rex, Femnix) although I don't think any other light is a as tough. These will all run on NIMHs, and some on LIons too, as well as disposeables.

Illum

Flashaholic
X5 runs for over 6 hours on cr123as alone, you should consider li-ion only when you frequently use and may deplete cells at a daily basis, if in one day of usage you do not use your light for that long the extra money would be a waste.:huh2:

I agree with thiswayup, X5 is essentially 5 LEDs each with a resistor attached, if the li-ion's output both voltage and current fluctuates over the ratings of cr123as [what it was intended for] you could potentially zap the LEDs [premature death of your light]:thumbsdow:whistle:

the X5 is sealed at the bezel, unless you can disassemble it and change the resistor value its not recommended.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I gave mine away, It got very hot around the head using rechargeable cells,
I then bought the Fenix L1T, much brighter on 1 AA cell

Illum

Flashaholic
TORCH_BOY said:
Before I gave mine away, It got very hot around the head using rechargeable cells,
I then bought the Fenix L1T, much brighter on 1 AA cell

what rechargeables did you use?

sounds like your overloading the resistor

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son uses one with a 17670 in it. It isnt quite as bright as on 2x CR123's but good enough for use as a mechanics light for when he is working on his car.

r0b0r

Enlightened
Yeah 17670's fit... wish I still had my X5 *sniffles*

Sometimes I will randomly look for it around the house in vain o_O

One day... one day...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
smokes will start coming out of the light....

unless you pop open it and add a driver there:)

maybe even take the 5mm leds out and replace with uncut smjleds!!!

r0b0r

Enlightened
On the retrofitting note... a while ago I was tempted to buy one of those cheapie (i think it was an xnova?) 3Led flashlights and put in three 5mw red laser modules.

Predator! Yay!

Illum

Flashaholic
chesterqw said:
smokes will start coming out of the light....

unless you pop open it and add a driver there:)

maybe even take the 5mm leds out and replace with uncut smjleds!!!

since the X5's bezel is waterproof, it may actually be possible to pop it open, then probably pound it back in...since theres no optics to worrk about...I'm really curious how inova can make such a tight fit on it.:ohgeez: