Inova X5 (white)

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
I saw the same thing earlier and chickend out since target is 30 minutes away from me.

prof

Enlightened
Looks like no one has any ideas how to tell them apart without comparing them side by side.

any input would be appreciated, although I think I'll put this off a bit as I just bought a new computer...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
prof wrote: "Looks like no one has any ideas how to tell them apart without comparing them side by side.
any input would be appreciated,"

To get a newer version - buy from a local Target....
it's almost a certainty that the stock they have will be new.

To be "absolutely" certain examine the packaging and get one with a lanyard (which seems to be the majority anyway).

Try it in the store - it should look "bright" even in the well lit environment and in the package......

If you're really "paranoid" - take a typical pocket 1watt Luxeon light with you and compare - if the Inova X5 seems about the same brightness level as the 1watt then it is "new" - the older version should seem pretty obviously dimmer......

Target is well known to have a no fuss return policy ........
if for any reason you think you got an older version (highly UNlikely - the more time passes the less likely it is.... witness the disappearance of the older Lensed Spot version of the Inova X1) take it back.

prof

Enlightened
To be "absolutely" certain examine the packaging and get one with a lanyard (which seems to be the majority anyway).

All of the ones in my local target have holsters--no lanyards at all. Otherwise I'd already have one.

Thanks however.

veleno

Enlightened
prof said:
Otherwise I'd already have one.

If for you it isn't a problem to buy on ebay, I have found two sellers who have the version with lanyard at a good price. I have ordered one, the next week it should arrive if somebody wants a confirmation...
I have bought three times without problems from this seller.

JML

Enlightened
I thought I posted this last week -- it must not have gone through...

In the store, compare their X5 samples to one of their X1 samples (the reflector version). The NEW X1 has about as much output as the OLD X5. The NEW X5 has about twice as much output as the NEW X1. It's an obvious difference between the new and old X5,

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate you all... (Not really, but reality really messes with my flashaholism) I have been resisting getting an X5 for a long time. Now I have to get one. This thread has convinced me that I have to. I guess it's off to Target (again...). You know what's really sad? I have lots of really awesome lights. I have probably spent over $2000 on really good lights and accessories for them, not to mention all the other less mentionable lights that will never make it to my sig line. And I still am drooling over a $30 Inova X5 with 5mm LED's that I never thought I would consider buying. I LOVE my new X1, so I will probably LOVE the X5 as well...

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just at Target and took a look at the Inova X5, X1 and all others.

I was not impressed with the X5, especially when it's $5 more than the brighter and more "everyday use" durable Brinkman 3W, 3AA unit hanging beside it. The Brinkman has a glass lens, great color, and very useful beam. Plus, it's super grippy.

Maybe if a car drove over the two of them, the Inova might hold up better. But I can't think of the last time I ran over my flashlight with a car.

Perhaps the Inova is too round, and will not resist rolling out into the street. :naughty:

P.S. the Inova X5 had lettering in it's tailcap rubber and a lanyard, therefore I assume it's the latest version.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul wrote: "P.S. the Inova X5 had lettering in it's tailcap rubber and a lanyard, therefore I assume it's the latest version."

That would sound about right.

Enough time has passed that I would hazard to say almost any Inova X5 would the newer version sold at any vendor that has reasonably good turn around on flashlights. The lanyard is probably a very good confirmation.

The other trick is to light it up and if it seems as bright as a good single cell 1watt (take one along to compare) - then it is the newer version.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure how the Brinkman is more "every day use durable" than the Inova, I have found in my experiences very few lights to be more durable in any respect than the Inovas, especially in their size and price range.

Just goes to show why there are so many different flashlights available ;) .

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
Not sure how the Brinkman is more "every day use durable" than the Inova

True, this depends on usage.

If you carry a flashlight in the rain, do engine work on cars, or have problems with carpal tunnel, a smooth aluminum flashlight will end up falling out of your hands more often.

If you subject a plastic flashlight and a nylon/santopreme flashlight on concrete, they are both going to get marked up. The aluminum flashlight will probably transmit more impact shock to the internal circuitry, of the and be more likely to break a solder joint or lens.

I get to see how flashlights hold up over the years. Some inexpensive rubbery flashlights that see garage usage have been my most trusty devices...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get to see how flashlights hold up over the years.

Interesting how some think their experiences are so much more intense than others. I went through dozens of the rubber armored and plastic flashlights while carrying one aluminum minimag over the past 30 years (obviously the Minimag was not 30 years old, but it hold up longer than any other at near 20) in various working environments ranging from body work, to automatic screw machine repair, to computer cable running.

Just goes to show how individual experiences can vary...

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
chuck4570 said:
I would use this light alot more if it were easier to grasp, I have a hard time holding on to this light when usng the momentary switch.

Chuck

:dedhorse:

(I say this to everybody lately)

"Sport Tape" available at Wallyworld is a flat black cloth tape that makes cold/slippery aluminum (or UGLY lights) VERY comfortable to grip and work with!

I have it on the majority of my more used lights!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I use a lot, espeically for lights that I use outside in winter is Dr. Scholls Mole skin, it is a felt material with a very sticky backing. It makes holding a metal light outside in the cold much nicer.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current, bright version of the Inova X5 is a favorite. Though not a "thrower," its flood beam is nice and smooth. It serves as a great indoor flashlight and is surely bright enough to use during nighttime walks outdoors unless you want to see out beyond 50 feet or so.

I am still using the original batteries. The 280 milliamp current consumption (measured) portends a long battery life. I am not miserly using the X5 like I tend to be with Luxeon lights which run down batteries quickly.

I use a section cut from a bicycle inner tube on a few of my lights to make them easier to grip:

inner-tube-lights.jpg

Here's a closeup photo of my Inova X5 with an inner tube grip.
inova-x5-with-bike-tube.jpg

Cydonia

Enlightened
That inner tube is a great idea. I vaguely remember hearing of people using tire inner tubes as extra grip and armor on flashlights once before. Thanks for reminding!

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well like with everything else opinions vary but I really like the X5. Have bought a
couple right off these here forums for $20 shipped and they were like brand new.
Great light IMO and if the overdriven nichia's go out Inova will repair so (no worries). On cold days out comes the G2Z w drop in. Aint flashlights grand.
BTw, which innertube fits an X5?

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
MARNAV1 said:
...BTw, which innertube fits an X5?

I couldn't tell you the size. I asked my local bicycle shop if I could have some old, used inner tubes they had discarded in their trash. Got a nice assortment -- several different sizes and thicknesses.

I use an inner tube as a horizontal carry belt sheath for my Swiss Army Knife. I suppose you could carry a small flashlight in one, too.

tube-belt-sheath.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
parnass wrote: "I couldn't tell you the size. I asked my local bicycle shop if I could have some old, used inner tubes they had discarded in their trash. Got a nice assortment -- several different sizes and thicknesses.
I use an inner tube as a horizontal carry belt sheath for my Swiss Army Knife. I suppose you could carry a small flashlight in one, too."

Bike inner tube for making grips is a great idea -
and parnass is right - the best way to get some (for free) is to ask at one's local bike shop for discards
icon14.gif

FWIW (as an aside) - bike inner tubes are sized normally two ways -

26 x 1 1/4

or

700 x 21

The first is in inches - ie: 26" x 1 1/4" - for our purposes igenore the first figure that's just the wheel diameter (unless you're going to have a flashlight that longer than about 81"
tongue.gif
) - the second figure is the tire tube diameter/width - which is what we're interested in, the Inova X5 diameter is about 7/8" - so for a tight snug fit look for 7/8" or less...... this is fairly unlikely in the imperial (inch) sizes.......
which brings us conveniently to -

The second set of sizes is (you've already guessed it) metric - that's 700mm x 21mm - again one can ignore the first figure - the second is 21mm = 0.827" ~= (6.6)/8" - this is probably the best snug fit...... BUT inner tubes are never that precise - as they are normally made to fit a range of tires - so get one that's sized to fit a 700 x 21 or 22.......

eg: a typical road/"racing" inner tube at Bike Nashbar - this fits 20-25mm - which seems about right.

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
A work buddy brought one in last night....

I use a Coast 1-CR123 luxeon every day most of the day at work (swingshift).

The Inova was "almost" as bright on the work table comparison.

We did not do a throw test side by side but I'd suspect it would have
a wider beam but probably not as far throw.

Like the twisty/momentary combo.