Inova x5t Blue beam pattern quality

TOB9595

Enlightened
I just got 2 inova x5t cobalt blue lights to give as gifts to hunting pals. The beam of both of these lights is terrible. The beam pattern is like the nuclear symbol. There are these corona lines with dark areas in between. The beam pattern is so different from the whites that I have that you wouldn't think they're from the same manufacturer. I sent email to inova and am awaiting a response. I wanted to hear what the experience is here. I've run a search here and there was no negatives mentioned on the beam pattern.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
My green is sort of the same. The white one that I first has was a perfect smooth, even light. The green has some giant rings in it, but pretty even brightness. The green is so much brighter (to my eyes) than the white though that I can happily live with it.

From the few comments that I have read on here and on bladeforums.com, the green and blue X5T seem to be very prone to this.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by TOB9595:
I just got 2 inova x5t cobalt blue lights to give as gifts to hunting pals. The beam of both of these lights is terrible. The beam pattern is like the nuclear symbol.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The beam in my blue/silver Inova reminds me of a gussied-up "biohazard" symbol.
Unfortunately, this is perfectly normal, and does not indicate problem with the light. All currently-produced blue, blue-green and green LEDs with 15° beam angles (the type most commonly used in LED flashlights) will produce beams riddled with rings and other artifacts.

Only the phosphor-based LEDs like white, lemon yellow (Nichia products), pink, and purple (ETG products) can produce smooth beams relatively free of evil little rings and bright/dark spots.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig had answered my similar comment about 50 days ago. I placed some WriteRight on the end of my blue X5T and it smoothes the beam out considerably. Amazingly, it hasn't peeled off yet although the light isn't an EDC.

I use it primarily to find small nonconforming items lost on a floor or ground surface. It really makes different testures stand out. Primarily, the little things stand out as being black in a blue field.