• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Interest List: ALUMINUM McGizmo PD-27L

pcmike

Enlightened
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes by making this thread and I'm only doing so at the suggestion of another board member, so please if I'm breaking any rules by all means let me know.

I'd like to guage the interest of a McGizmo PD-27L, but in ALUMINUM. In my opinion its the best option for such a light as you'd get maximum throw in a light that is still very pocketable, not too heavy, and not as expensive as Ti. I'd be fine with the light being exactly the same as the Ti PD-27L in every way (choice of LED, drive levels, converter, final appearance, etc), but just being made from ALUMINUM.

Is anyone else interested in an ALUMINUM PD-27L?

(Just so everyone knows, the line forms right here..)

:sssh: :whistle: :popcorn: :naughty:

The light would look like the one in the center, but in ALUMINUM:
McLuxTiStanding7.jpg

Credit for the picture goes to arewethereyetdad! Please let me know if you'd like it hosted somewhere else.

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
:goodjob:
I know don is too busy to address these at the moment, but, i would love to have one of these in slate black, That would be a very solid EDC.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your interest got me thinking, so I took the 27L head off of the McLux-27LT light and tried it on a regular PD. It fit and worked but only low would turn on. My guess is that the LT head needs the 6 or more volts to run Hi since it is from a 2 cell light. There was also a larger gap bewteen the head and body. I little modding might fix that.
BTW, this does make a great form factor, alot like the Aleph 1 w/ single cell tube. But I still want it in a Ti version. :)
lightFS006.jpg

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most definately would make a great EDC light. Maybe even a 2 cell version?
I would love one in HA III slate or natural.

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the head of a 27LT on one of my earlier PDs and it works like a charm on both levels.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have a bare Al PD and am very happy with this.

Regarding the prospect of a bare Al PD-27L, the advantages are:-

1) It polishes up beautifully and any superficial scratches are very easy
to eliminate which to me is one of the biggest plusses of bare Al.

2) Its a better thermal conducter than Ti.

3) Its substantially lighter than Ti.

(For EDC pocket carry, the lightness is a big advantage in my opinion because
the head is probably going to add quite a lot of weight to the Ti version.)

4) I would feel less worried about EDCing this than a $450=00 light that
I could drop and mar the appearance of.

So I'm all for a bare Al. PD-27L and I would buy this straight away if it were
to become available.

However if the Ti run comes before this (which seems likely),
and there are no indications that this will be produced in Al.,
I would most likely buy the Ti. because it would be a timeless classic.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id like to see this light as HAIII, not bare.

Is this thread for a un-anodized version light, or a ALU version thats finisehd like current slate and natural PD's????

Either way, it would make a great light.

pcmike

Enlightened
If this light were to be made I would expect it to be like all of Don's other ALUMINUM lights.. either HA3-NAT or HA3-Dark Slate. Or maybe Don will come up with something completely different (but I certainly wouldn't expect that)? :)

One thing I would like to ask of those who voted "Maybe" is if you could possibly qualify why you voted "Maybe." For example, did you just vote "Maybe" because of pricing, final coating, or drive levels? If so, please do tell us why you voted "Maybe" and then hopefully your concerns can be addressed so that your vote could potentially become a "Yes." Same goes for those who flat out voted "No."
:naughty:

Thanks guys for expressing your interest. Please keep the voting going..

SteveStephens

Newly Enlightened
I'm a maybe man because I doubt that I would buy a bare Al verson. HA most likely. Ti possibly as I am getting the Ti-PD if I am alert tomorrow night. But, with so many great lights coming faster and faster one has to come to some conclusion how many lights are enough. Never enough you say? In reality I think most of us will have "enough" some day and my day may be coming. I won't stop buying but will look more carefully on how a particular light will be useful to me in use or just to fondle and enjoy as a pice of art. My HA natural Lion Cub arrived today (love it and it's so much lighter than the brass LC) along with a Firefli (not Firefly-a bunch of them are on order).

Steve

Sturluson

Enlightened
I agree with those who say they prefer the concept of a 27PD in HAIII rather than bare aluminum. I'm quite content with the performance of my HA Slate PD and would anticipate similar quality performace from a 27PD model.

Latest posts