Sold/Expired Interest thread: bodies for 27LT

Leef

Enlightened
KAKSTER, the single CR123 body hasn't exactly been canned. I dunno if there'd be any demand for it. As I remember, the LT27 head shines only at one level (probably low) with a primary, but it does work on both levels with a RCR123, albeit at a lower output. A better match to that head would be the 18500, being only ~ 3/4" longer.

Leef

Enlightened
Latest word from the CNC shop suggests they're a couple of weeks from starting this. :( Too slow, I know, but they're a great shop to work with and get excellent plating done for me.

These bodies will be knurled. That's part of what's taking the additional time -- knurling requires one of their larger lathes.

Leef

Enlightened
TxTroubleMaker, no, sorry -- the prototype was sent to the CNC shop unknurled. Somewhere in this thread I think there's a photo of it, but it's not much to look at in the unfinished mode.

Leef

Enlightened
These are next in line at the CNC shop. I don't know what that means in terms of days/weeks.

These will all be 18650 tubes. Of course, one could run a i7mm battery...:shakehead

Leef

Enlightened
Here's a photo of the 27LT body, unplated. Note the very clean, somewhat smaller knurling. This should plate very nicely.

These should go to the plater next week. Stay tuned!

27ltunplatedrt9.jpg

Leef

Enlightened
Of course. The hi-lo feature is achieved by twisting the head, just like with the factory light. There's enough tension with the o-rings to keep the head in place when set to one or the other level.

Leef

Enlightened
TxTroubleMaker, yes, there's plenty of metal thickness in the knurled section of the body. If there were standard dimensions for these inserts, I'd consider milling out a few before plating.

All, I forgot to mention in earlier posts that the body has a ledge at the front that restrains the battery. I found in the Gotham project that, with severe frontal impact (7' drop onto concrete in the Gotham's case), the battery can move forward with enough force to dent the battery's top and possibly damage the electronics in the flashlight head. So the 27LT has a ledge to support the battery to prevent this.

jefft

Enlightened
Leef, I cannot believe that I am going to have to buy a 27LT body _and_ a Gotham within the same week. :mecry:

Leef

Enlightened
jefft, look at the (ahem) bright side...as they say, "Quality is always inexpensive!" So, if you buy TWO of each light, you'll save TWICE as much money! :crackup:

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
TxTroubleMaker, yes, there's plenty of metal thickness in the knurled section of the body. If there were standard dimensions for these inserts, I'd consider milling out a few before plating.

There are quite a few 1.5mmx5mm H3 vials floating around so if the bodies could be milled to house 2 or 3 of these that would be great! If you have this done to a few, I will take one for sure just let me know what the cost would be.

Leef

Enlightened
SURPRISE! -- this same body works great with the PD heads, with the addition of a small aluminum spacer washer that I'll include with the bodies -- so you'll have a twofer! :thumbsup:
Photo to follow!