• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Interest thread: bodies for 27LT

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leef - do you have any plans for a Ti 18650 body?

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD is 1x cr123 or rcr123 flashlight. The 27LT is a 2X cr or rcr 123a cell flashlight.
Correct.

What I ment to say in my post (I was half asleep) is that The single cell body I have for the 27LT runs the light at a pretty darn low level.
I beleive the 27LT runs best when fed 6-7.2 volts.
Try it.
UNless some sort of magic is performed, The light produced by a 27lt head driven by a single cell will not satisify.
PLease don't take this as a critisism of these bodies I like them and do want one.
The simple fact is they (the single cr123 /rcr123 and 18650) will underdrive the 27LT head. I do not beleive that the 3.7 Volts produced by the 18650 cell is enough to kick the 27LT into high gear either.
The unit I am interested in is a 2 cell body with a clicky. That will work great!! A clicky on a 27LT ? Oh YES!!

Yaesumofo
1xcr12327lt.jpg

Yaesumofo

yaesumofo, PDs are intended for 1xCR123 or 1xRCR123 -- right?

Last edited:

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
yaesumofo

A 27LT will run on a single Li-Ion 3.7 volt. I use mine with a custom PD body with a CR123 3.7 v Li-Ion. Here's a link to the thread with pics of my custom PD body https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170465

If I read yaesumofo's reply right, I don't think that he's disputing the fact that the 27LT will run off of a 3.7 volt single cell. I think he's trying to point out that the light is being under powered at 3.7-4.2 volts, at least that's how I read it.:shrug:

I don't have anymore primary's on hand at the moment, so I can't test this out on my 27LT, but this has got me thinking, I may send mine off to chevrofreak to test this theory out...

Leef

Enlightened
Yaesu, you may be right -- I'll do a test or two. Of course, this body will work fine with 2xCR123 or 2xRCR123.

Clickies rule!:thumbsup:

If I read yaesumofo's reply right, I don't think that he's disputing the fact that the 27LT will run off of a 3.7 volt single cell. I think he's trying to point out that the light is being under powered at 3.7-4.2 volts, at least that's how I read it.:shrug:

I don't have anymore primary's on hand at the moment, so I can't test this out on my 27LT, but this has got me thinking, I may send mine off to chevrofreak to test this theory out...

For what it's worth, I have a 27LT - S with the standard two-cell body and also with a one cell clicky body made by our English brother, I think his CPF name is Gampf. I just did a test of the 27LT using both bodies, both powered by rechargable 123's, and I cannot tell the difference in brightness just eyeballing it. It's very close.

By the way, Gampf's clicky body is outstanding and it's a dead ringer for the oem body except that it is shorter and has a clicky.

bill lafferty

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK to make my point very clear.
A McGizmo 27LT head when driven by a single cr123 or rcr123 will NOT run nearly as bright as the same 27LT head when driven by 2 cr123 or rcr123 cells.
How do I know?
I have a single cell body shown in the image above. I have used it with a 27LT head as shown and the brightness level is LOW as in not very bright.
A 2 cell body will power the 27LT head properly.
AS I said I am looking forward to a 2 cell body with a clicky. This will make a very cool light even better.
Yaesumofo

OK to make my point very clear.
A McGizmo 27LT head when driven by a single cr123 or rcr123 will NOT run nearly as bright as the same 27LT head when driven by 2 cr123 or rcr123 cells.
How do I know?
I have a single cell body shown in the image above. I have used it with a 27LT head as shown and the brightness level is LOW as in not very bright.
A 2 cell body will power the 27LT head properly.
AS I said I am looking forward to a 2 cell body with a clicky. This will make a very cool light even better.
Yaesumofo

I apologize for muddying the waters, Yaesumofo. You are right. The two cell body is brighter. When I performed my little test earlier, I did not realize that the two cell body was loaded with a 17670 instead of two 123s. Here are the two bodies.

Here are beamshots in my hallway-test chamber. The first is with the one cell body; the second is with the two cell body, both powered by 123 batteries.

Both photos taken at 1/50 sec at f 4.5.

bill lafferty

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
Leef,
Which Surefire tail caps will be compatible with this body???

**Edit**

I was too lazy to re-read the whole thread before I posted this question, but in the end I decided to not be lazy.
Quote from post #39: And, yes, these bodies will use any SF C-series tailcaps, but for the cognoscenti, the LeefClicky (with McClicky switch, of course) is the way to go.
:grin2:

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
Cave Dave, it goes between the body and head, inside the body. It can't be seen. The threaded part of the 27LT head is ~1/8" longer than on the PD. I could have shortened the body by 1/8" and it would have worked with either head, but there would be a gap with the 27LT head.

TxTroublemaker, I never can keep up with SF's cap nomenclature. A cap that fits any SF C, P, or M series light should fit.

Leef

Enlightened
STATUS -- bodies went to plater today. I expect them back in 2 weeks.

Sloooowww. Sorry!

Leef

Enlightened
Status, again -- CNC shop sed the 27LT bodies should be back from the plater next week (week of 10 Sep). I hope so. Stay tuned.

Leef

Enlightened
GRoLED, funny you should ask...these are supposed to be ready for me to pick up today. If they are (and they probably are), I'll have them off to the Hound tomorrow. :thumbsup: