Interest Thread; Malkoff M61 New 519A 4500k / 5700k 9080 *Group Buy 2022!*

DaveTheDude

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I'd be happy to buy a Malkoff dedomed 4500k 519a module. My preference is for a reasonably high-output light engine, with a Hi-Lo ring built in. Let me know if and when the module is a go, and I'll submit payment in a flash (sorry about the pun).

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be happy to buy a Malkoff dedomed 4500k 519a module. My preference is for a reasonably high-output light engine, with a Hi-Lo ring built in. Let me know if and when the module is a go, and I'll submit payment in a flash (sorry about the pun).
this is the aim man. prayers.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there's enough of us in to make this happen..
So who's going to orchestrate the GB?

daffy

Enlightened
I got a 14500 Convoy 519A just as one sample to test, 4500k. At any current on both 219b and 519a my eyes at least not a big difference. At least not enough to replace my 219B lights.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
What flashlight enthusiast does not like to try out new emitters. Seems like the 519a offers more photons than a 219b, right?
On the Sky Lumen Lounge thread, I brought up having Vinh make a 519a P60 dropin for maximize throw, even though knowing it does not really offer a lot of push out there. Vinh only answered one of my questions, the one about using direct drive not being viable, and so I can't help wondering if the 519a is not suitable at all, throw-wise, compared with an SST-20 and does not offer that much of a gain in color rendering? Since being snubbed by Vinh, figure I can talk to Tod at Illumination Gear about EagTac using a 519a in a Sport Tac dropin. Years ago I communicated directly with EagTac, and they did build a custom emitter thrower for me. It did take a while to get to USA and they may not do that sort of thing anymore.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw is about the die size. The smaller the die size the more throw it has.
Sure, more lumens will "throw" more, but that is just a product of having more light.

SST-20 is a small die...very small. 519a is not a small die.
The SST-20 is designed to throw. The 519a is not designed to throw.

519a does more with less. It is more efficient than the 219b. Doesn't necessarily mean it's better....but at the same current the 519a will put out more light than the 219b. I believe the 519a puts out around 20% more lumens...so to our eyes it will not be very noticeable.

@KITROBASKIN - Are you wanting a dropin with a 519a that works in a Malkoff host?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Not a Malkoff host; a proposed Malkoff P60 dropin would probably be put in an Oveready host. If this group buy decided on a single reflector 519a 4500K I would very likely join in, given that I did not purchase elsewhere earlier. I can wait though, and respect the decisions others might make. A dedomed 5700K is a possible, and should throw farther, right?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedoming just takes off the cover. The cover isn’t clear so the tint changes and you gain brightness since the cover isn’t blocking anything. In the 519a the tint becomes warmer when dedomed. Technically the throw increases because the intensity increases.

You will need a smooth reflector to maximize throw…which can be ordered. I’m sure there’s a throw optic that’ll fit. Just a matter of finding it online.

Most of the domes either need cut or you use acetone…with the 519a they just peel off with ease.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
73qftLo.jpg

modding pics

Last edited: