Interest Thread; Malkoff M61 New 519A 4500k / 5700k 9080 *Group Buy 2022!*

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last Saturday received from FastTech: 519a 4500K R9080 in an S2+ and C8+ flashlights that are stunning in terms of reflector/lens quality (though not sure if anti-reflective coated) and overall value. The emitter in the S2+, under white wall scrutiny, has a slight off-cast yellow-brown dimming in the center of the hotspot though it is invisible in practical use. I will dedome that critter after learning how to do it with an S2 host. The C8+ has the throw we need for our terrain.

Beautiful light coming from them, certainly comparable with the best Nichia and Luminus SST20 (which I did using a pure white (titanium dioxide pigment only) ceiling. I compared them to full sunlight early afternoon; color rendering on wife's skin was pleasing, adding a little more red than the sun at that time. More usage will reveal more understanding.

Maybe Craig will offer different color temperature options? I would like to try the next step cooler than 4500K and possibly dedome it. These eyes see that the 4500K is not yellow at all; really nice.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a couple C8+ the other day.
Not sure what LED I'll go with.
I have some orange peel and smooth reflectors for them.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will dedome that critter after learning how to do it with an S2 host. The C8+ has the throw we need for our terrain.

Here's a C8+ I just threw together.
MTN-17DDm fet driver
3500K 519a domed (we're going to the gulf coast so I wanted warm)
  • Mode Levels: Moonlight - 2% - 5% - 20% - 50% - 100%

8B4A62BB-AEBF-485B-B0B6-EA026356899E.jpeg
B7C795BF-1F78-4DAF-B978-6BB308E1D9E2.jpeg
2C1F7B78-A528-49AC-8377-47815FC2C621.jpeg

Last edited:

Duster1671

Enlightened
I think I would want a dedomed 519a. It seems to really help this LED in terms of throw and tint uniformity. The trouble is that if you mess it up in a Malkoff drop-in you're out $60+. With a light that's repairable you're only out the cost of a new LED.

An HDS Rotary with dedomed 4500K 519a might be my most wanted light right now, but it's another one where the maker probably isn't interested and the stakes are high doing it myself.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will dedome that critter after learning how to do it with an S2 host.
Congrats on your new 519a lights.. Glad your first impressions are good.

Here is a video showing how to dedome:

the trick is to get the LED hot before pushing the dome off, as this causes the adhesive to release more easily.

sometimes there is a bit of stray dome bits left behind.. they can also be pushed off as there is a layer of glass protecting the phosphor, there is little risk of ruining the LED

HRace

Newly Enlightened
Any updates on a 519 in anything Malkoff, drop-in or AA MDC? Specifically looking for sm453 dedome to get that rosy 3500k (or we dedome after receiving).

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low intensity spot on dog's head shows color temperature compatibility with diffuse sunlight cloudy 6pm mid August central New Mexico. Upper left of image is lit by warm LED's
88C0A089-0292-45D7-B592-02FE02340364.jpeg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to report that I left the flashlight energized but off for the night, knowing that the glowing switch would be great for middle of the night navigation, however, 4am the main LED was on low (wavering in brightness) so that indicates something faulty. I will explore this further and hope other D1's do not have this serious issue.

I posted this here because of the interest of using the 519A in a Malkoff, and that readers may want to try this emitter sooner. The quality of the beam is good, perhaps a little warmer than 4000K and a good amount of red in the spectrum. The throw is suitable for our terrain.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to report that I left the flashlight energized but off for the night, knowing that the glowing switch would be great for middle of the night navigation, however, 4am the main LED was on low (wavering in brightness) so that indicates something faulty. I will explore this further and hope other D1's do not have this serious issue.

I posted this here because of the interest of using the 519A in a Malkoff, and that readers may want to try this emitter sooner. The quality of the beam is good, perhaps a little warmer than 4000K and a good amount of red in the spectrum. The throw is suitable for our terrain.

I hate to further detract from the subject of Malkoff, but I'm curious to know, which level did you have your switch set to?

I have a 4500K dedomed 519A D1, it's about 3700K and it's beam is absolutely beautiful, but I slightly prefer the dedomed 5700K of my D4V2, which to me looks to be about 4200K. Of course, my guestimate is based off of my uncalibrated peepers and comparing to other lights advertised color temps.

Regardless, these 519As are really something special once you pop off those domes!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any news on this. Just logged on for the first time in a while and checking in.
Hi thanks, well waiting still on Mr Craig...@Illumn.
I do believe if I am correct, Gene is on for it still.

I will message Craig for the last time on this. if nothing back again, then consider it a no no.
its been some good while now.
thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts