Interest Thread; Malkoff M61 New 519A 4500k / 5700k 9080 *Group Buy 2022!*

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The burst is 8 seconds followed by a single-step step down from max to 175 or 200 lumens.

An agency set the criteria. Only thing I can think of is there was a need to use a single-mode light for an extended period of time after turning it on. Multi-mode sucks when under duress. Turn on high just in case it's needed isn't necessarily bad.
For me the main purpose of that light is the single-mode 175/200 lumens. I don't really need a single-mode 175/200 lumen light.

If the main purpose is the turn-on high then the E2S is the choice.
When I need full-throttle I grab my E2S or SBT90.2. There's no doubt those aren't designed for extended usage.
The SBT90.2 is nuts. It may melt after 1 minute but there's 4000+ lumens being sent.

Yeah even an 8 second burst when going into a dark place, this is something for someone who wants simple and reliable. Not necessarily a flashaholic but someone that wants a light to do one thing well.

Not my jam but something that I would lend to a coworker

If Andy does the dedome, I'm sure there's a way it can be tested after it's reflowed to the MCPCB? At least we would know the dome removal was done professionally and still has expected/normal output before they're sent to Gene.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fwiw, if you dedome 519a 4500K, you end up with a MUCH Warmer Color Temperature, around 3200K.. it is a Totally different color temperature and Tint DUV than Domed 4500K.. they are not even close.

there is a dedomed and domed 4500K in this photo:
3xyarae-jpg.jpg

also, the dedome makes a much smaller hotspot, that does not have the nice large round hotspot of the Domed 519a..

IF you want Neutral Tint, do NOT Dedome.
IF you want a nice large round hotspot, do NOT Dedome

only dedome if you want a Warm Color Temp with Orange Tint.

here is a dedomed 4500K 519a next to sw45k.. as you can see the dedome is Very Warm:
fIqfKIe.jpg

ledbetter

Enlightened
I only have one 519 light and it looks sorta like an XPL N beam with better cri. (I'm not sure I can really tell 80 vs. 90+cri). Dedoming makes it a warmer and weaker thrower? Sounds like an odd breed. I'm very happy with 4K/5k 91b xpl's from Malkoff but a M61 version sounds interesting. So, if there's a vote, I vote for the 5k+ domed M61.

fulee9999

Enlightened
coming back to the warranty part, wasn't the method that Gene shipped the "raw" MDC head to Andy, then after it was shipped back to him, he finished the product? So Gene actually saw the final product so he could give his blessing ( warranty ) on it?