Interest Thread; Malkoff M61 New 519A 4500k / 5700k 9080 *Group Buy 2022!*

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could put a wonderful 519a 5000k domed LED in a light and get this result when you add the reflector

No reflector
4CE981BF-DD1A-4F13-AC46-7D9995647318.jpeg

With reflector. Awful

D0EDDDF5-2237-45AE-9A0A-5CAD92825122.jpeg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of us are hoping that members of this group-buy already have gorgeous general purpose Nichia LED's in Malkoff dropins and would be open to trying a 519a with plenty of red rendering and more reach than your average P60 dropin.

That said, each of us has a valid objective for this group buy and everyone has a valid opinion for what they want. Respect, and thanks for slider's valuable contributions.

timbo114

Enlightened
I'm a proud neutral tint snob.
Owner of dozens of various nw units.

I own a P60VN 519A 4500k domed triple
It is perfection.
I own a P60VN 519A 4500k 12 emitter mule ..
4 of the 12 are DD ... this blend is MORE than sweet perfection.

My all time Gold Standard for CRI is the 219B 4500k, of which I own many.
The 519A is a great addition, I have Copper Convoy S2s in 4500k, 5000k & 5700k.
These are all so good as is, that I can't force myself to DD any.

In my perfect world, I get a M91 519A 5700k DD AND a M61/361 519A 4500k dome on.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, Convoy S2+ 4500K 519a domed on left and lighting up most of the oak. Centered on the clump of snow on the lower right of the bush I directed the mini thrower Emisar D1 5700K dedomed. Both lovely.

FC7325D4-BDD5-45E3-8F96-ADDFCBD4CD92.jpeg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top photo is mule or TIR ?

Top photo is a mule because I didn't install the reflector yet. I installed the reflector and the bottom photo is the change in beam. The pattern change is fine but there's that weird brown spot that's even more noticeable in person. At first I thought it was the glass but it's not. Then I thought it was the centering ring but it's not.
I may add some DC Fix and see how that looks.
Normally I don't care but it'll be noticeable in whitewall hunting hard use

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
some reflectors work better with Domed 519a than with DeDomed 519a..

for example, the V11R w XM-L, has a poor beam profile w 519a DeDomed:
imP2YJp.png

otoh, the Reylight LAN has no problem w 519a dedomed:
P1Azs1f.jpg

The SC21 Pro reflector also works fine w 519a dedomed:
H16wrUT.jpg

someone should test the Malkoff reflector w domed and DeDomed 519a.. so you know what to expect (my guess is it will work fine, but thats just a guess)

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might as well make it perfect before ordering a ton of heads and finding out it's not so good. I want my drop in to be perfected since this is basically a one time shot

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more lights I build the more I learn how much reflectors and the lens can change literally everything.

The deeper the reflector and the smaller the LED hole the more smooth the hot spot to spill transition will be.
Before I thought it was based on OP vs smooth, but my findings have changed my belief.

I'm not sure if my words are correct... @jon_slider can correct me.... the reflector material and quality of the reflector, along with the glass will change the "tint" and duv. I see it in every host I build out.

Malkoff reflector is a high quality MCR reflector. It's deeper with a smaller 5.79mm LED hole.

A Laulima Ion Slim uses 16mm or 18mm MCR reflector. I would expect beam profiles to be similar.

Last edited:
The more lights I build the more I learn how much reflectors and the lens can change literally everything.

The deeper the reflector and the smaller the LED hole the more smooth the hot spot to spill transition will be.
Before I thought it was based on OP vs smooth, but my findings have changed my belief.

I'm not sure if my words are correct... @jon_slider can correct me.... the reflector material and quality of the reflector, along with the glass will change the "tint" and duv. I see it in every host I build out.

Malkoff reflector is a high quality MCR reflector. It's deeper with a smaller 5.79mm LED hole.
I would expect the beam to be wonderful.

A Laulima Ion Slim uses 16mm or 18mm MCR reflector. I would expect beam profiles to be similar.
I highly agree. I don't expect anything bad in getting 519a DD put in a malkoff drop in, if anything I look forward to it.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a DD 519a 4500k will look fantastic, will it be perfect? Maybe, maybe not, will there be rings on a white wall? Who cares.. these aren't made to be shelf queens and pointing a light at a wall serves no purpose. Slight rings will not affect general day to day use

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly agree. I don't expect anything bad in getting 519a DD put in a malkoff drop in, if anything I look forward to it.

I revised my post...it wasn't clear. I just meant I expect the beam on a MCR 20mm reflector to be good. I have no way to predict how it'll look in a Malkoff. The beams in the S2 I build look great and have a shallow reflector with a larger LED hole. Where as other reflectors that I expect to look good based on the deeper depth don't turn out as planned.