Interesting airprt experience with light "arsenal"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Interesting airprt experience with light \"arsenal\"

On my recent trip from the East coast to Canada (Continental Express), I flew with the following lights:

ARCAAA, ARC LS I, ARC LSH-P, Lambda Illumninator, L4, McModule, Streamlight TL-3, Streamlight TL-2, Streamlight TT-3C, UBH/KL1/3x123 , D3/SRTH/N2, E2E/MNO3, Nascar-Mod/P61/E2E, PM6, UK 2L, Photon II

The LSH-P, Nascar E2E, AAA and Photon were on my person. The rest were in my carryon (no checked luggage), along with two 12 x 123 boxes of Surefires, 4x four packs (16 batt) of Energizer L-91s and four extra RAY-O-VAC AAAs.

I carried my self-created "CPF ID card" along with printed buy pages for all of the lights. (Nascar E2E looked close enough to E2E and UBH.

Outbound, no search, no questions, no problems

Return: after emptying pockets I passed through the metal scanner and two young alert security officers stationed at the end of the conveyor belt told me to wait for my bag.
First officer: (with a smile) "you got a lot of flashlights in there" (How did he know that? He was in no apparent contact with anyone on the other side of the metal scanner. Headphone perhaps?) " would you mind opening your bag sir?" I opened it and took out all the lights but not the battery boxes. They didn't physically handle anything in the bag. I started unsheathing and demonstrating the lights (all in nylon holsters except for keyring AAA and Photon). I started with Nascar/P61/E2E. Even though the terminal was bright they were amazed and actually started to get interested in the lights! We ended up yakking about lights, CPF, the whole bit. One of them in particular was interested enough to write down our web address. They were most impressed by theNascar E2E, the PM6 and D3/SRTH, and they weren't bothered by the size/weight of the TT 3C or the D3/SRTH. If the place hadn't been so brightly lit I'm sure they would appreciated the other lights.

This was the most pleasant "flashlight airport security" experience I've had since 9/11.

Brightnorm

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Interesting airprt experience with light

At first I expected to read how they gave you a "rough time", but it turned out to be one of those pleasant experiences. Thanks for sharing that!

There are so many different screeners (having good days & bad days), hopefully this screening process is getting smoother and more professional in process!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
me too, I thought you would tell us a horror-story about all you lights confiscated or so ...
that's a good one, brightnorm.
bernhard

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

unless Homeland Security now wants to investigate CPF. You never know with those idiots.

They think I am a terrorist, cause Mandrakesoft sent me Mandrake Linux Powerpack Subscription CD set, sirectly from Paris, France. I gues some Al Queda member used Mandrake Linux. (or that it simply came from France).

My nasty little suspicious mind is aroused again. Two things I am expecting from Columbia house have not arrived. USPS parcels coming to me, only get delayed like this when they are diverted for inspection and evaluation by Homeland Security. My mail carrier confirmed this BS happens.

Brightnorm, if that were me in your position, they would have arrested me.

zmoz

Enlightened

So they were just fine with them as soon as you showed them they worked? Just imagine what you could hide inside of even a small flashlight...with a coin cell battery to make it "work". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Tomas

Banned

Or something with a timer in a 2D mag with the light being run from a CR123 ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Ok...love the active imaginations...but do we have to "give em' ideas". Please gentlemen, let's not turn this into something we may regret?!!

Darell

Flashaholic

I caught myself talking like this
[ QUOTE ]
ARCAAA, ARC LS I, ARC LSH-P, Lambda Illumninator, L4, McModule, Streamlight TL-3, Streamlight TL-2, Streamlight TT-3C, UBH/KL1/3x123 , D3/SRTH/N2, E2E/MNO3, Nascar-Mod/P61/E2E, PM6, UK 2L, Photon II

[/ QUOTE ]
to a friend of mine the other day. Do you have any idea what this stuff sounds like to somebody not "in the know?" Might as well be speaking Greek (Zorba, you listening?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas

Banned

Sigman, if us innocents standing off to the side can see this as obvious, don't you think the folks who brought us things like Panasonic portables carrying charges 15 years ago (Lockerbie: Pan Am 103) have already designed it?

The folks who need to be aware and to spot these sorts of things are the ones trying to keep them off planes. The black hats already know.

Recall the news on 9mm firing cellphones a few months ago? That's considerably beyond anything mentioned here.

Some of the stuff I saw personally in SE Asia over 30 years ago was made in very primitive conditions from readily available bits and pieces, but they were effective.

Modern day black hats aren't carrying sticks and stones, they are just as techie as we are.

Mentioning things that have been mentioned here is not giving away secrets. It is better to be aware than to bury one's head in the sand, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That being said, I'll drop it, OK?

T_sig6.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone seen the Maglight that fires a 410 shotgun shell? The other forum posted a picture as an officer safety alert.

GregR

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
I caught myself talking like this
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
to a friend of mine the other day. Do you have any idea what this stuff sounds like to somebody not "in the know?" Might as well be speaking Greek (Zorba, you listening?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me! Me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know... that long lost language is otherwise known as Flash Talk... Flashaholic Lingo... Most commonly found on CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif Well Darell, I see you've had your contribution to posts in the 'Flashaholic Anonymous' thread already, so at least you're not in denial...

I guess if I get stopped for a check at the airport, I'd be ready to open up the light to show them the inside and batts, as well as flash the lights around, just to attempt to 'convert' the still ignorants out there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Yes Tomas I agree with you...I just don't like dwelling on it, and yes, awareness is a good thing. Warnings on stuff like this (specifically flashlights!) went out a long time ago...I wouldn't want to see the CPF develop into an R&D for that type of operation though!

Yes, I'm also aware of "ingenuity" used in SE Asia and elsewhere in this world. Some primitive but certainly effective...

I'm done on this also...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

brightnorm -

I sounds like your strategy of having a CPF card that explained your hobby worked. Did it seem to help?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
brightnorm -

I sounds like your strategy of having a CPF card that explained your hobby worked. Did it seem to help?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to know to what extent that was a factor; they just glanced at it, but I think my demeanor and cooperative manner, along with the brightness of the lights were the major factors.

OTOH, these were very alert, "bright" young men who were in a surprisingly sunny mood. Also, I think many security personnel are taught to recognize individuals who may fit a risk profile.

BNprofile

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
unless Homeland Security now wants to investigate CPF. You never know with those idiots.

They think I am a terrorist, cause Mandrakesoft sent me Mandrake Linux Powerpack Subscription CD set, sirectly from Paris, France. I gues some Al Queda member used Mandrake Linux. (or that it simply came from France).

My nasty little suspicious mind is aroused again. Two things I am expecting from Columbia house have not arrived. USPS parcels coming to me, only get delayed like this when they are diverted for inspection and evaluation by Homeland Security. My mail carrier confirmed this BS happens.

Brightnorm, if that were me in your position, they would have arrested me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Charles,

I hope you're exaggerating to make a point or do you mean it literally? If this is actually true it is alarming and a disgrace. Is there no way for you to clear things up?

Brightnorm

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I mean it Literally, Brightnorm! It is called Profiling by Products. When the Feds raid a Terrorist's place (suspected or otherwise), they shake the place down and inventory Everything. Those products then go onto a Master List of 'used by terrorists'. When an 'innocent' person is sent one of those products via the US Postal Service, ALL of their mail is diverted for inspection and evaluation. You definitely notice, when mail that takes no more than 2 days to get to you, suddenly comes in a pile, and 1 month late! This is both parcels and regular first class mail in envelopes. Mind you this mail is from all over the USA, not just one area.

It happens not just once, but, at least twice, as in my case (so far).

There is no way to contact Homeland Security to clear things up. If they would bother to detail a local police officer or FBI agent to come out and chat, that would clear things up.

However, since they are Profiling and one is now a suspected terrorist, they are not about to alert their suspect (or so they think).

I have not noticed any delays, except via USPS. I can't even blame the delays on Holiday Season. I was surprised to see a pile of mail, so I looked at the postmarks for the mailing dates. That is how I got suspicious. My regular mail carrier confirmed this sort of profiling takes place and the investigations.

Of course, if you call the FBI office, they will deny everything. Same with the Postal Inspectors.

Once you are on their Suspected Terrorist List, it is permanent.

Back in january, when AB sent me my custom bulbs for 4.5 volt Petzl headlamps, the first parcel vanished. Yet the second one made it through. I wasn't worried about those, but I was worried about the custom 2C Arc LS pack that Doug mailed. It surprised me that it made it through, as I figured that the Feds would think it was actually pipe bomb parts, instead of flashlight parts.

With me, there wer actually 3 incidents:

1. Initial pile of mail, which included the parcel from Mandrakesoft. Up to 1 month late by post mark. All of domestic origin, except the one from France.

2. US Domestic Priority Mail parcel from Technology Associates in Nevada. 6 days for something that should take 2 days!

3. Parcel from AB that vanished. Only one that did vanish.

All were via the postal system.

Brightnorm, would the above incidents arouse some suspicion, if they happened to you???

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
...With me, there wer actually 3 incidents:

1. Initial pile of mail, which included the parcel from Mandrakesoft. Up to 1 month late by post mark. All of domestic origin, except the one from France.

2. US Domestic Priority Mail parcel from Technology Associates in Nevada. 6 days for something that should take 2 days!

3. Parcel from AB that vanished. Only one that did vanish.

All were via the postal system.

Brightnorm, would the above incidents arouse some suspicion, if they happened to you???

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 would arouse my suspicions because it happened to a "pile" of mail rather than an individual piece.

#2 might if the 6 days represented an actual ship date.

#3 I've had things vanish over the yers, certainly not often but enough for me to remember. I just assume that any complex system is bound to be glitch prone.

So, if I had experienced those incidents I would be puzzled and perhaps suspicious, but my suspicions would be general because I wouldn't know where to direct them. Was the Mandrake order compromising?

Brightnorm