Interesting Historical Miner's Headlamp!!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was recently going through some of my father's personal effects and I came across this very unique and interesting what I think is a miner's lamp. The lamp was carefully wrapped up in a red piece of cloth and hidden away in the bottom of his desk. The only things I can see from the lamp is that there is a glass optic to apparently focus the beam of the light within the lamp. The light source itself looks like a wick that is fed oil from a small reservoir on the bottom of the lamp.

Anybody have any information or ideas as to how old this lamp is or where in what applications it may have been used in????

Pics.....

CavingLamp5Small.jpg

CavingLamp2Small.jpg

CavingLamp6Small.jpg

CavingLamp3Small.jpg

CavingLamp4Small.jpg

....reads "Twentieth Century".

It looks as though it has a bit of corrosion on it, but I'm not exactly sure how old it might be. I was afraid to try to clean or restore it as this may effect its historic value (if any).

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys. :thinking:

MSax

wishywashy7

Enlightened
wouldn't it be cool if you can hide a Q5 LED inside and show it off..."your Surefire has only 100 lumens? wait till you see my father's headlamp":crackup:

Kel-Lite 911

Newly Enlightened
Hi, This looks to be a very old bicycle lamp. It would have worked with lantern oil or white gas...but not between my legs while i am peddling down the road.....

Last edited:

made in china

Newly Enlightened
I need to see beamshots! No seriously, it'd be cool to see some beamshots. I doubt anyone has ever posted beamshots of their oil burnin' uh, whatever it is. The lens looks quite nice.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the light apart and realized that it definitely uses oil as a fuel source. Unfortunately, the wick is not long enough to bring the oil to the flame. I will see if I can find a source for a wick.

The nice thing I would imagine from this light is that it will have a infinitely variable output by slowly dialing up the amount of wick and thus flame in the housing.

..... and Surefire thinks they were the first to do it with the Titan.... Please!!!

MSax

Burgess

Flashaholic
Certainly an interesting find.

Thank you for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:

I enjoy reading about what folks used,
way back in the Dark Ages. :candle:

BTW, if that lamp happened to get dropped during use,
you'd certainly see the "oft-mentioned" Vent with Flame !

:poof:
_

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I agree that restoring it would be awesome, and would allow for it to be viewed (and used?) as it was originally inteded. I'm not sure the best techniques, but it'd look great all new and shiny. I don't think it would diminish its historical value - actually, quite the contrary! Maybe I don't know about antique collecting though! :tinfoil:

Either way, very cool find, MSax! :thumbsup:

:) john