Interesting little experiment

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ran across an interesting situation tonight. I have switched to rechargeables on my main lights, but have left my Seraph 6 on CR123A primaries, since I have a few left and nothing else to use them in now. I decided to check the state of the cells in my Seraph, since I hadn't checked them in a while and we had used it some when the power was off last week. Sure enough, my trusty ZTS blinked red (20%) on both cells. So I went to the cupboard where I keep my reserves and got a couple of new cells. While I was there I saw the P60 from my G2 of long ago when I replaced it with a LF HO-6. So I decided to drop that into my Seraph to be reminded of what an incan looked like. To my surprise, with the old cells, it wouldn't light up at all! When I put the new cells in it worked just fine. But I was really shocked at how yellow it was. I didn't remember it as being that yellow before. When I compared it to my TM11 and my EA4W you could really see the difference. Of the three, I think I like the EA4W tint the best. It really surprised me that the electronics in the LF head (their XP-G R5 tri-mode) could pull enough energy out of those depleted cells to still work, where the incan P60 wouldn't even glow a little. We've come a long way, baby!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
We haven't come a long way. Well we have but this has nothing to do with it. The p60 requires more voltage than the LED. 2 almost dead cr123 cells still have more voltage than an led can be driven at and needs to be regulated down until they just can't provide the current any more. Use those two almost depleted cells which couldn't power the p60 and use them to run an 3.7V incan lamp assembly and it would light up. And an led assembly which required 5+ volts wouldn't light up either. It's all about which engine you're running

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I deplete cells in my G2 I put them in my G2L(kx4 head) and they provide several hours of useful light.
Like vicv said it's all about the engine. My Tana Eseries dropin can operate on a cr123 with 2.2volts measured with no load.