Interesting things out and about in town.

Borad

Enlightened
A turn-of-the-20th century shoe factory that has finally gotten decrepit enough to warrant a teardown. Wonderful old brickwork, I'd love to sneak in and look around.

I found a video of the inside. http://wnep.com/2015/07/29/condemned-building-to-be-torn-down-in-honesdale/

There's a cemetery from 1658 not far from me. I hope to take a tour some day and get some photos. I saw some good photos and posted them to my Facebook page but Facebook banned me and deleted all my posts.

scout24

Flashaholic
Aaaand it's gone... Nobody working today, but neighbors around and others out enjoying the sunny mild December morning.

20151206_110730%20-%20Copy.jpg

20151206_110812.jpg

20151206_110935.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Now it's pure Barney...as in Rubble.

Here's something you don't see everyday...

^^ a rail road crossing a rail road at a rail road crossing.

Used to be the rails shown were a sorta highway system within a factory district of the 1 horse town I'm working in.
The ones in the distance are still a highway for commerce and Amtrak travelling up n down the east Coast of America.

And an old luxury hotel...

^^ who knows who stayed there
About the time the horseless carriage was a regular sighting this luxury hotel was established in between Henderson NC and Petersburg Va.
Back then the carriage or horseless carriage weren't all that comfy. So hotels like this dotted roadsides in many places along the main highway of the east coast of the United States...long before I-95.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back when Officers had loot.

General Chambliss' family was apparently no exception

^^ he's buried at the giant church next door.

In the one horse town the assistant City Manager was strolling by eating his 2 o'clock apple and saw me taking these pix.
He committed to showing me some of the other historic sites there.

nbp

Flashaholic
Whoa! That's a lot of lights! Looks like a circus come to town. Haha

scout24

Flashaholic
Jeez, StarHalo! That looks like I imagine Vegas would... Almost visible from space! :D Clark Griswald would approve. (I loved the Christmas Vacation movie- that was meant as a compliment!)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That looks like a very smart frog.

^^ across from that big ole house.
In the right side of the pic is one of the oldest churches in America according to local lore.

^^ minty old building.

When he's not fighting crime as Batman...

Logic tells me it's **** Grayson (Robin) doing the dirty work....

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At some point when they paved the main drag in the 1 horse town, there was a safety award plaque applied to the asphalt...

^^ this was revealed
They scraped off the asphalt down to the initial layer above the old concrete in order to repave it back like it used to be long ago.

^^ 7 up safety award.

scout24

Flashaholic
Wife and I have walked past this spot dozens of times. Just a low stone wall around a garden, we thought. Actually a sunken patio, maybe 25 feet from the main street. Ingenious way to have some privacy in the middle of town.

20160101_115035.jpg

20160101_115051.jpg