Interesting Video Finds Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they do a scientific one Steve:poke:

I know almost nothing about mechanical calculators.. did they even do division?

For anything scientific, I think people relied more on their slide rules. 3 significant digits was good enough for most engineering, but the accountants get in trouble if they ignore everything past the first few digits, so I think they were the ones who bought the mechanical calculators.

Empath

Flashaholic
They did division, but they were terribly slow. They actually did the division by counting subtractions of the denominator from the numerator. I depended on those contraptions, before the electronic calculators. My first electronic calculator was 6 digits and no decimal; and I thought I was in heaven. It didn't really take long after that for the scientific calculators to develop, but until then it was slide-rules and logarithms.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Normally, I would never post a Top 10 list in this topic. Namely since most such vids. just wouldn't be good enough to be included here.

But, there are exceptions to everything. Including Top 10 lists.

You might want to skip #9 though if you're watching this vid. with very young children. The description (no pics.) might be a bit much for them.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Adult Swim's Off The Air once again goes completely off the deep end pushing the physical limits of animation; not for the kiddies, or the sober, or people who like sobriety:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBuPiC3ArL8
At a previous work location there was this large back patio that faced a large pond. It was stocked with fish and attracted a wide variety of wading birds - great blue herons (merely think something negative and off they flew), black- and yellow-crowned night herons, green herons, and great egrets. The latter were almost fearless and thus amenable to being fed by the human interlopers. As soon as someone threw bread - or anything else that attracted fish - onto the water they'd fly right on over. There's something a bit unsettling about a bird with an eight foot wingspan making a beeline for you at eye level.

On a few occasions I took some expired bread to work and fed the egrets. Before the fish started swarming the consternation would start. 1, 2, and occasionally 3 egrets fly over to the flotsam field. Uninitiated bystanders wonder what's going on - wonder why otherwise evasive wading birds are so interested, perhaps ask why I'm trying to feed wading birds some bread. Then accelerated natural selection starts happening. Bystanders have generally polarized reactions to this: some are amused by the birds' ability to seize an opportunity, others repulsed at the thought of fish being lured to their demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.