Interesting Video Finds Part 4

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
She's good, but I think Whitney Houston was overall better.
Equals on different stages, and you'd probably change your mind a lot if you listened to more of Irene Cara's performances, especially ones from Europe where she hadn't been black-listed for trying to get paid. I'd always thought of Whitney as possibly the finest ever and it wasn't until just recently that upon finding out about Irene Cara's passing last year, I started listening to more of her material and realized how incredible of a singer she really was. It took her over 10 years to get any royalties for two of the biggest hits that launched her career that are instantly recognizable to this day even.
The whole central part of her career was gutted by the people that stole her royalties and should have been backing her. Arguably her best album went virtually unnoticed in the states because of this. Whitney would have been inconsolable when Irene died last year if she hadn't already been gone herself. Two of the most atmospheric singing talents of the last few decades, both gone.

This is a terrible quality video, but the singing is all live, during her peak when she was almost totally invisible over here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
X just did a poll as to whether to let famous conspiracy guy Alex Jones back on. Over 70% voted to let him back on.

Often his predictions seem way out in left field, yet if one flips through the channels of the alphabet soup parrots the same phrase over and over it appears to us tin hat types there's something amuck. Like they've all been "told" to say that.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Equals on different stages, and you'd probably change your mind a lot if you listened to more of Irene Cara's performances, especially ones from Europe where she hadn't been black-listed for trying to get paid. I'd always thought of Whitney as possibly the finest ever and it wasn't until just recently that upon finding out about Irene Cara's passing last year, I started listening to more of her material and realized how incredible of a singer she really was. It took her over 10 years to get any royalties for two of the biggest hits that launched her career that are instantly recognizable to this day even.
The whole central part of her career was gutted by the people that stole her royalties and should have been backing her. Arguably her best album went virtually unnoticed in the states because of this. Whitney would have been inconsolable when Irene died last year if she hadn't already been gone herself. Two of the most atmospheric singing talents of the last few decades, both gone.

This is a terrible quality video, but the singing is all live, during her peak when she was almost totally invisible over here.

What am amazing talent. I didn't know about her struggles over her royalties. Damn that stings. The music industry is full of weasels that live a lavish lifestyle off the backs of others' hard work.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What am amazing talent. I didn't know about her struggles over her royalties. Damn that stings. The music industry is full of weasels that live a lavish lifestyle off the backs of others' hard work.
I never even knew her as anything other than a singer of a single Flashdance song, and thought she was just a flash in the pan, but it turns out that I already knew a couple of her other songs without realizing she was the one who sang Fame and Why Me. Anyway it appears she would have been a huge star if not for the machinations against her. Glad to have looked into it a bit though and just ordered the CD for the album that got quashed by the same people not paying her. Heard two songs off of it and went online to find it right away.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never even knew her as anything other than a singer of a single Flashdance song, and thought she was just a flash in the pan, but it turns out that I already knew a couple of her other songs without realizing she was the one who sang Fame and Why Me. Anyway it appears she would have been a huge star if not for the machinations against her. Glad to have looked into it a bit though and just ordered the CD for the album that got quashed by the same people not paying her. Heard two songs off of it and went online to find it right away.
Just like me! I didn't realize she recorded FAME. Loved that song, and the TV show that used it for a title track. Seems like the TV show was a spin-off from a movie of the same name. Not familiar with the other song you posted with Fame, but the song from Flashdance of course is familiar. Loved that movie, too.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Not familiar with the other song you posted with Fame...
Really hard to find quality content, both because of how long ago it was, coupled with the industry issues she was saddled with. Here's the best one I could find of Why Me. Wish I'd listened to her while she was still alive. So much more innocence in her singing style that I really like. Here's another one that she didn't have a hit with, at 8 years old!

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Really hard to find quality content, both because of how long ago it was, coupled with the industry issues she was saddled with. Here's the best one I could find of Why Me. Wish I'd listened to her while she was still alive. So much more innocence in her singing style that I really like. Here's another one that she didn't have a hit with, at 8 years old!

Wow, she had great screen presence even as a kid. What a talent.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
***Geek alert***

Awhile back WWV (the NIST time-and-frequency reference station) was participating with a Ham Science club for some Ionospheric modulation tests. They would play an array of chirps, tones, tone sweeps and white noise over the air to see how different types of modulation interacted with the ionosphere. The results produced some interesting patterns on the SDR waterfall display, particularly the tone sweeps. It's kind of hypnotic.