Intimidator & Howitzer beamshots and lux readings

toby_pra

Flashaholic
The Howitzer is larger in diameter (108mm vs. 100mm). But it only costs half the price of the sr90. and in the howitzer you can use any 18650 accus.

This could be a reason for buying the Howitzer.

But IMO the Intimidator is more easy to handle, because of the smaller
head and much better design, due to using only one Led. :twothumbs
Annnndddddddddd its much much brighter with better throw!!! :cool:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The Howitzer is larger in diameter (108mm vs. 100mm). But it only costs half the price of the sr90. and in the howitzer you can use any 18650 accus.

There is a saying that "you get what you pay for".

Its not always true, but it usually is. I have a feeling that this is no exception.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some artifacts in the beam visible on the white wall. But not noticeable in the real world. In fact most of the XR-E throwers have much more artifacts in the beam.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just about every RF device made for distance has artifacts up close.... from the audible frequencies when dealing with speakers to nanometers with lights.

Its a matter of distance... if you engineer it to be perfect up close, distance suffers and if distance, up close suffers.

About only exception is to orange peel the heck out of the reflector, then distance throw suffers.

There is always a sweet spot or zone where things are optimal.
This light is way too bright to worry about that close and you actually have to look pretty hard.

Most lights are the other way around.. a hot center and weaker as it goes out, but this light has a defined edge of power... I like it that way, and you don't see any weaknesses at all when any yardage is involved.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing that put me off purchasing the Intimidator is its size.

However with that kind of throw and output, its becoming increasingly difficult to refrain from this. :bow:

Are you pleased with yours? Would you recommend it?

I just don't see anyone else matching this.

The great heat fins combined with the size allows good heat dissipation.
What I see in the competition is reduced lumens, runtime limited on high etc to get away with a smaller body.

True you can't throw any 18650's in there you want, but with that many batteries, do you really want to try and keep them matched after a discharge recharge cycle?...

I don't even know of a charger that will charge 6 at a time?

Either you go with less lumens, less runtime, to get less batteries you can charge in your own charger or its a major hassle charging them all otherwise.

This is a nice package.. yes bigger than I would like to see to mount on a gun or pistol, but nice to carry.... no complaints.

Lets not forget about the price of 6 18650's "matched", the charger to charge such and battery meter. That alone drops the price of the light in half.
Because if you get another light that you can put your own batteries in.. it won't come with all those batteries, nor the charger.

paulr

Flashaholic
I wish it used a standard battery pack instead of a proprietary one. Type "Sony NP-F970" into a search engine and you'll get tons of suppliers for that pack, which has 6x18650 inside. It's a compact, brick-shaped pack used for larger camcorders and some video lights. There are all kinds of 3rd party chargers for it, the cells are well protected and so forth.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless there is an advantage of pulling a bad battery and replacing it with one that matches the rest, I see all "packs" as the same.

Get a good quality one is the best you can hope for if your going for a pack.

I guess what I'm saying is... aren't all packs proprietary?

Whats the advantage of this pack you speak of over the one that comes with the SR90?... is it just a preference of shape?

paulr

Flashaholic
Proprietary means only one company manufactures it. There's tons of companies making F970-compatible packs and you can get them as low as $30-$40. Compare that to the Olight pack which is announced at $120 but you can't buy them (at least now) even if you're willing to pay that much.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.. I can appreciate your point.... which allows for competition and less vulnerable to the light becoming unusable if the company goes dry....

But on the other hand, Olight is a good company and many of the other companies out there that produce batteries cannot be trusted well.
I have a "almost" brand new computer LiIon battery right now thats crap and I shouldn't have bought it despite the good reviews it got.... now after emailing them.. they are silent with no answers back.... something I don't think Olight would do.

To some degree the light itself is proprietary.. if we break the lens, or any other part of it, we are still dependent upon that one company to get it working again.

But I appreciate your point of trying to find a safer haven in the area of the battery.

Cleron

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a hard time getting excited about the SR90. It's a great light, but the battery pack thing turns me off as well. Maybe some one will come up with a modded version, but I doubt it.

Aside from that it's heavy on throw for my taste given the amount of "umph" it has. On the bright side I can run it on low at 700l for many hours, but that's about the only thing that thrills me about this one.

Maybe I've become jaded, but I just don't see a massive improvement over the new Howitzer in that areas I care about. The Howitzer was too floody for my taste, but the SR90 is like a dam lightsaber. I guess I'll think about it, maybe something will change my mind, but at this point I just can't justify it.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just don't be too quick to judge until you've seen it in person is all I can say.

It almost sounds like your trying really hard to find a reason to talk yourself out of it!... thats ok.. if your not ready don't buy, but judge righteously if your gonna judge.

headophile

Enlightened
if i had the extra dough and the real need for this light, i'll buy it right now. it's everything i hoped a led alternative to hid would be, apart from the size. but even that is acceptable since it's a necessity to achieve the things this light is capable of.

easilyled

Flashaholic
if i had the extra dough and the real need for this light, i'll buy it right now. it's everything i hoped a led alternative to hid would be, apart from the size. but even that is acceptable since it's a necessity to achieve the things this light is capable of.

Hey, since when has any Flashaholic bought a light because they had a real need for one? :poke:

I'll let you get away with the "dough" reason though. ;)

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
This discussion comparing the SR90 battery pack to a video camera battery pack is misguided.
1 - The pack isn't 'proprietary' beyond the fact that only Olight makes it. If another company wanted to make the investment they could make a similar compatible non-OEM pack. Unlike the sony pack though the market for these would not be in the MILLIONS so it is unlikely to happen.
2 - The SR90 uses a matched balanced PACK instead of 6 cells because there were a number of concerns about using 6 individual cells - this has been discussed ad nauseum in the CPFMP thread but basically: a) the cell will not stay balanced which will result in shorter run times. b) There are now 6 PCB's involved meaning 6 times the chance of failure. c)There were concerns that individual PCB's might be overwhelemed by the massive amount of voltage and current passing them them with the packs Serial/Parallel configuration d) with such a high current demand it was deemed fundamentally unsafe to allow users to place any cell or combination of cells into the light which may or may not be matched, protected or inserted correctly (polarity). d) to 'charge' batteries for the light one would really need 3 seperate chargers and 6 cells. Do the match - that would cost $95-125 and wouldn't include the handle, fuel guage, could not serve as a spares carrier, etc etc.

The Sony NP-F970 is a total unknown. PCB current handling, etc. And now you don't want just the Sony pack which very likely uses quality Sony cells now you want to be able to use generics with unknown cells, unknown PCB's, etc.

Making a holder for 6 x cells would have satisfied 10 enthusiasts here at the expense of alienating and making the light unsuccesful in it's intended S&R, LE/Security markets where professionals buying a $450 light EXPECT a battery SYSTEM not some foolishness made of 6 seperate cells and 3 chargers.

Every light in the 'class' is an HID and they all use a 'proprietary' battery pack.