Introducing Mac XM-L Series

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question that has been bugging me. This new light has a 2.8A driver, uses an 18650 cell, uses an XM-L emitter and puts out 769 lumens. While on the other hand, the standard model XML EDC uses the same emitter, same battery, and same driver current and only puts out 575 lumens. What am i missing?

The driver is 2.8a Max so the larger cell holds higher voltage under load also the reflector is almost 50% larger.

I have a Home Built Sphere that was calibrated with 3 different sources. My Sphere actually reads a tad LOW compared to a few other here on the board.

Mac

Loomin

Newly Enlightened
I can understand the reflector bring bigger resulting in better output... but the 18650 version uses the same cell. So it wouldn't be caused by a larger cell holding a higher voltage under load. I'm not doubting your numbers or your sphere, just curious how it works.

Sent from my Infused Infuse

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand the reflector bring bigger resulting in better output... but the 18650 version uses the same cell. So it wouldn't be caused by a larger cell holding a higher voltage under load. I'm not doubting your numbers or your sphere, just curious how it works.

Sent from my Infused Infuse

The numbers are the numbers I don't know what to tell you.

Mac

calflash

Enlightened
If the output is measured at say, three minutes into the runtime, wouldn't that explain the lag of the smaller cell? In other words I would guess that both cells can produce similar output at turn-on with the 18650 being able to sustain higher numbers for longer than an 18350. Or am I way off?

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the protected 4sevens 26650 fit? I believe they are a tiny bit longer and wider than the unprotected cells.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I have no idea.

Mac
A FETtie switch has Surefire C-series threads.
Here is a quick pic of both switches.
IMG_0085.jpg

CMAG

Enlightened
Hi Mac, Ordered 26650 ti on 11/10/2011 will I see it before xmas

Barbarian

Enlightened
Here is a photo of the XM-L 26650 (below) with the XM-L EDC for size comparison. Very sweet light with lots of output and runtime.

jalal20

Enlightened
Ok so I received my 18650 yesterday and I will be posting some better shots when I get a decent background. For now here's a look at my new lovely light :)

Size comparison shot

20111210_120445.jpg

and a shot that I don't think anyone has seen yet and I dunno y but no one seems to have asked or posted a photo of the head and reflector so here you go with also a comparison to the EDC versions
20111210_120501-1.jpg

those are phone pics :)

Policecar

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the diameter of the EDC-XML? Mac's website says under one inch.