Is anybody using the KL5 head on a C3 body?

Beretta1526

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The s/n on my KL5 (part of my L5) is A00460... you won't catch me putting it to 9V. I remember a warning some time ago that anything more than 2x123 is ill-advised and that there was an inline fix to come. I think if you have a B0XXXX s/n, you are fine (be sure you are looking at the s/n on the head, not on the light body).

Since the search function on the board is crap, I can't look it up. If anyone has the original info, LMK.

Beretta1526

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yaesumofo,

The question is, at what time was the issue corrected? I'm sure it will be directly related to the s/n on the head though. As I said before, mine's A00460 and was one of the first L5's available and I'm positive that it's one of the heads that shouldn't be run on 9V. Maybe Al or someone else could get an answer on approx. when the inline change was made?

yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand completly. This information direct from surefire would be nice. The serializing of lights/parts while it is a wonderful thing could easily be used to give an exact number when the change happened. I suspect it occured durring the last revision possibly durring the transition to the new slug shape of the LUXV emitter.

I do understand the issue.
Hey don't we know sombody over there? I hope that bridge was not burned
Yaesumofo
Beretta1526 said:
Yaesumofo,

The question is, at what time was the issue corrected? I'm sure it will be directly related to the s/n on the head though. As I said before, mine's A00460 and was one of the first L5's available and I'm positive that it's one of the heads that shouldn't be run on 9V. Maybe Al or someone else could get an answer on approx. when the inline change was made?

Paul_in_Maryland

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
http://tinyurl.com/97lvz
this should dispell all notions that the KL5 will not work with the c3 or 9p.
This is specific to the NEW units. Yaesumofo
You don't think it's significant that the c3 is the only model in the list whose hyperlink doesn't work?

G&P's 5W LED with 9S Flashlight Head was designed for 9V lights: "only for G&P and Surefire 9P". Did I mention that it sells for only $56?

M

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
You don't think it's significant that the c3 is the only model in the list whose hyperlink doesn't work?

The C3 hyperlink worked for me. :thinking:

yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I don't find it significant at all.
The link works fine for me
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/894/sesent/00

I think it is a good opportunity for you to advertise your fine looking stuff though.
Yaesumofo

Paul_in_Maryland said:

G&P's 5W LED with 9S Flashlight Head was designed for 9V lights: "only for G&P and Surefire 9P". Did I mention that it sells for only $56?

Paul_in_Maryland

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right; in my browser, the link was differently colored, but evidently that's because I had vsited the C3 page. It works for me.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I sell G&P stuff. I don't sell anyone's stuff. I don't say that "only G&P makes good stuff." It just seems to me that others take the position that "only Surefire makes good stuff." Some of us have families and can't justify buying the "best".

K

KJS

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is old, but did anybody find out which (if any) KL5's should not be run on 9v's? My KL5's sn is A02464.
Thanks.
-Kevin

Size15's

Size15's

Flashaholic
In my experience the serial number of a SureFire is used to tell one from another for identification purposes - this one is mine, that one is yours type of thing.
Not for determining production batches. Sorry. I don't know of the details you are looking for :(

K

KJS

Newly Enlightened
For the sake of searching and the archiving of information, I received this email from SF CS:

Sir,
Any KL5 head will work on your C3 light with non problems. If you have any further questions please call us at 800-828-8809. SureFire strives to provide World class customer service to all of our customers.
SureFire technical support

So there it is and don't worry about using your KL5's on three cell bodies.

rmacias

rmacias

Enlightened
KJS said:
For the sake of searching and the archiving of information, I received this email from SF CS:

Sir,
Any KL5 head will work on your C3 light with non problems. If you have any further questions please call us at 800-828-8809. SureFire strives to provide World class customer service to all of our customers.
SureFire technical support

So there it is and don't worry about using your KL5's on three cell bodies.

So does this mean I can use (2) protected RCR123 rechargeables in my L5? With two it would equal 7.4v vs. the 9v C3 body. Is this safe?

RJM

B

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Should be no problems.However once i used 2 rcr123s in my L5 for a few cycles,the tint changes from white to slightly yellow.Anyone had similar experiences?

rmacias

rmacias

Enlightened
BrianChan said:
Should be no problems.However once i used 2 rcr123s in my L5 for a few cycles,the tint changes from white to slightly yellow.Anyone had similar experiences?

I recieved my RCR123A batteries and put them in my L5. First I checked the voltage fresh of the charger and they are reading 4.3v for a total of 8.6v. The beam is brighter and whiter than before. I'm not seeing any yellow tint at all. I will try to take some beam shots for reference.

RJM

N

nc987

Enlightened
I agree with the earlier comment.If you need a 3 cell LED conversion head get the KL6 and fit it to your M3 or just get a L6. I have both the KL5 and the KL6 and the KL6 is just all around better. I know their lumen rating is the same and all but the KL6 has more throw, less of a donut, etc. I know that all these lights are subject to the luxeon lottery but my KL5 is superb and the KL6 is just better.