Is heat an issue? Running a peak logan on an RCR123

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Going with my other thread about simplifying my peak by removing the QTC from the pill. I am now running one mode on an RCR123. This setup is BRIGHT.

I've found that the light gets quite hot when running it this way. Should I be concerned about a heat issue when running it on full blast for long periods of time?

manoloco

Enlightened
Like Bob wrote, basically no, but if you want to be exact, there is a little decrease in led lifetime, for practical purposes its not a problem and that would affect ANY flashlight driving the led strongly, so in other words: fire at will ;)

The boost driver of the Logan limits the current to 1A (1000mA) at 4V and you will get that using RCR123.
17500 batteries on the other hand might give you more boost and give 1.2A

From the Cree XP-G catalog just so you know what to expect:

Lumen Maintenance Projections
Cree currently recommends a maximum drive current of 1000 mA for XLamp XP-G white in designs seeking the ENERGY
STAR* 35,000 hour lifetime rating (≥ 94.1% luminous flux @ 6000 hours) or 25,000-hour lifetime rating (≥ 91.8%
luminous flux @ 6000 hours).
Please read the XLamp Long-Term Lumen Maintenance application note for more details on Cree’s lumen maintenance
testing and forecasting. Please read the XLamp Thermal Management application note for details on how thermal design,
ambient temperature, and drive current affect the LED junction temperature.
* These lifetime ratings are based on the current ENERGY STAR Solid State Lighting Luminaires V1.1 (December 12,
2008) and ENERGY STAR Integral LED Lamps V1.0 (December 3, 2009) lumen maintenance criteria.

35000 hours with 1000mA is like using your flashlight 2 hours at max EVERY DAY, for around 48 years if you skip a day 96 years and if you use QTC to regulate and just use the amount needed then... well you get the idea :D

If we dont go with the ENERGY STAR rating 25000 hours at 1000mA is same situation for around 34 years, twice if you skip a day (68) etc.

i dont know how would Peak Logans heat management rate Curt should know

Last edited:

notrefined

Enlightened
Is this equally true of the stainless version as it is for the HA?

(specifically, is heat not an issue with either material?)

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Like Bob wrote, basically no, but if you want to be exact, there is a little decrease in led lifetime, for practical purposes its not a problem and that would affect ANY flashlight driving the led strongly, so in other words: fire at will ;)

The boost driver of the Logan limits the current to 1A (1000mA) at 4V and you will get that using RCR123.
17500 batteries on the other hand might give you more boost and give 1.2A

From the Cree XP-G catalog just so you know what to expect:

Lumen Maintenance Projections
Cree currently recommends a maximum drive current of 1000 mA for XLamp XP-G white in designs seeking the ENERGY
STAR* 35,000 hour lifetime rating (≥ 94.1% luminous flux @ 6000 hours) or 25,000-hour lifetime rating (≥ 91.8%
luminous flux @ 6000 hours).
Please read the XLamp Long-Term Lumen Maintenance application note for more details on Cree’s lumen maintenance
testing and forecasting. Please read the XLamp Thermal Management application note for details on how thermal design,
ambient temperature, and drive current affect the LED junction temperature.
* These lifetime ratings are based on the current ENERGY STAR Solid State Lighting Luminaires V1.1 (December 12,
2008) and ENERGY STAR Integral LED Lamps V1.0 (December 3, 2009) lumen maintenance criteria.

35000 hours with 1000mA is like using your flashlight 2 hours at max EVERY DAY, for around 48 years if you skip a day 96 years and if you use QTC to regulate and just use the amount needed then... well you get the idea :D

If we dont go with the ENERGY STAR rating 25000 hours at 1000mA is same situation for around 34 years, twice if you skip a day (68) etc.

i dont know how would Peak Logans heat management rate Curt should know

Interesting and helpful post. Thank you for that. Its great to know its safe to run the logan is a single mode pocket rocket without fear of destroying the LED from the heat.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat is definitely an issue.

I completely melted the base of the plastic dome that covers the LED. The beam pattern is weird and unrecognizable in my cool XP-G head.:( I only run my Logan on an AW 17500, no IMRs. The cool XP-G head definitely gets hot, and becomes too hot to handle after 2 minutes. I kinda suspected something was going to give with temperatures of this magnitude in a light this small.

This is the second time this has happened. The first time around it wasn't so bad, in fact I thought the reflector was starting to deform like my Vesuvius did. Fortunately Oveready took care of the problem no questions asked. I hope can exchange for a warm white head or get a full refund.

At $58 just for the Logan head I'm very disappointed.:shakehead Peak has a lot of tweaking to do.:ohgeez:

I experimented with the IMR 10440 in my warm white head, but didn't like the runtime and excess heat produced. No problems there.:shrug: If a more temperature resistant plastic dome was installed, this would eliminate the problem. The proof lies in the Vesuvius. At some point in time mine got so hot it started to wrinkle the reflector, but the dome remained intact.