is is still not allowed to talk about maryjuanna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
good point chauncey thank god ive never seen them drugs well that i know of. they did presrbie me opioids when i was injured last year i was to afraid to take them after a few days and they didnt even work for pain
Your post is valid, as alcohol is the most abused drug in America. I didn't mean to minimalize the pain and suffering abusing alcohol causes every day.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Titus Chapter 2 of the Bible tells us to be sober or sober minded.
Don't need religion to keep me sober. In my case I just don't like to lose control. I'll have an occasional beer or glass of wine, mostly for the taste, not the buzz. Besides, too much alcohol just makes me go to bed.

Never touched anything besides alcohol. When I was a kid I puffed on one of my father's cigarettes. That was enough to turn me off to smoking. Just disgusting. Never tried pot or anything stronger. I don't like the state recreational drugs might put me in. On top of that, I generally react badly to medicinal drugs. Most of the side effects, none of the benefits. It probably would be the same with recreational drugs. I'd be the only person to get withdrawal without also getting high.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
weed is way safer if you vape it it just heats the plant up to the point it releases thc but it dont burn

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.

In Genesis 1:29, "God" says that any herb that produces seed and any tree that produces seed can be eaten from. (Italics mine)
In Genesis 2:7, "God" now states that any tree can be eaten from, but now, not from the ToKG&E. (Italics mine)

What tree does not produce seed to continue on? Further, what herb does not produce seed?

I'd posit that a truthful and honest read of these passages would lead anyone to the logical conclusion that using weed as we know it is not unbiblical. Rather, it is the false interpretation that leads some, if not most, religious folks to be against it.
I quoted Titus chapter 2 which says we are to be sober minded. That is my Biblical argument against using weed, not whether or not it was in the Garden of Eden.

Genesis 3:6-7 says: "And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasing to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons."

No mention of apples in the passage referring to the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. We don't know what fruit it was because the Bible doesn't say. We can speculate that it may have been a fig tree because Adam and Eve rushed to cover themselves up with nearby fig leaves.

You can get in a strawman argument all you want about whether or not God made weed and if he did if there is anything wrong with smoking it. I'll stay with my argument. Stay sober minded so you don't ruin your life.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think we can use a single book as a moral pedestal. If you're doing something you enjoy and it doesn't hurt anyone else, knock yourself out. Even legality doesn't mean much. Alcohol and oxy-codon are by far the worst offenders. And they're fully legal. Much worse than a little grass.
If the bible says we must stay sober, the Catholic Church sure has a lot of ceremonies involving wine. Let's try to be serious here.
But I don't use pot and I barely drink. Not for any moral reason, just don't feel like it

i do agree sobriety is the smartest choice

When our oldest was about five or six years old, he asked me what I was drinking. I answered, "It's called beer. You can have a sip, but you probably won't like it." 20 years later, neither of our children drinks alcohol except for communion wine. If asked, they'll both reply - "I've never had the desire." I think part of the reason for them is there was never a forbidden fruit connotation attached to alcohol.

As to being smart, the oldest can solve a 12 x 12 Rubiks Cube.

I don't think we can use a single book as a moral pedestal. If you're doing something you enjoy and it doesn't hurt anyone else, knock yourself out. Even legality doesn't mean much. Alcohol and oxy-codon are by far the worst offenders. And they're fully legal. Much worse than a little grass.
If the bible says we must stay sober, the Catholic Church sure has a lot of ceremonies involving wine. Let's try to be serious here.
But I don't use pot and I barely drink. Not for any moral reason, just don't feel like it

A lot of people can and do. Live and let live.

ledbetter

Enlightened
The problem with all drugs, alcohol, substances, etc. is all the weak, over indulgent people who become addicts and ruin it for people who just can take it or leave it.

Mind altering substances are as old as food. Uptight members of the Temperance League should go have a meeting at church while normal folks can go have a good time.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The problem with all drugs, alcohol, substances, etc. is all the weak, over indulgent people who become addicts and ruin it for people who just can take it or leave it.
Eh, addiction is a complex thing with weakness and indulgence being but two of many elements.

Mind altering substances are as old as food. Uptight members of the Temperance League should go have a meeting at church while normal folks can go have a good time.
Agree. And maybe they can simply let the other faction be while they're at it, seeking to understand rather than judge.

My understanding of Prohibition is it produced positive results for the general population at large. Consider speed limits. Law-abiding people following them. The same thing happened during Prohibition, law-abiding people respected the law and followed it. Therefore, there were far fewer ill effects from the use of alcohol.

Perhaps your use of the phrase normal folks was an unintended slight.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Prohibition" also started organized crime. Laws don't stop people from doing what they want to do. Most people don't follow speed limits either. They drive at the speed they feel comfortable at

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding of Probation is it produced positive results for the general population at large. Consider speed limits. Law-abiding people following them. The same thing happened during Probation, law-abiding people respected the law and folllowed it. Therefore, there were far fewer ill effects from the use of alcohol.
*Prohibition
Also, have you not heard of organized crime? Prohibition practically *created* it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Organized crime being practically created does not take away from the fact that Prohibition did reduce the ill effects of alcohol.
It's likely as little more nuanced than that. I've read that alcohol consumption fell to 30% of its pre-Prohibition era level, but recovered to 60% to 70% by the end of Prohibition. That doesn't tell the entire story. Probably occasional drinkers were more likely to not indulge in alcohol once it was made illegal. These were law-abiding people for whom an occasional drink was no longer worth the trouble. Heavy drinkers, who suffer most of the ill effects of alcohol, likely didn't slow down at all. They were addicted. Hard to control an addiction. Speakeasies popped up like mushrooms. My maternal grandfather played the horn in one as a side gig. Heavy drinkers are far more likely to frequent such joints than occasional drinkers who might enjoy alcohol socially in their home.

Even if some small number of lives were saved from not drinking, the sheer numbers of deaths caused by turf wars due to organized crime made up for it. The 50 year war on drugs created much the same situation. Drug cartels virtually run some countries. They're often better armed than the military. Whatever harms making these substances legal might create, it pales next to the criminal activity keeping them illegal has caused.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This one is still open? :eek:

1 Corinthian 10:23. NIV
"I have the right to do anything," you say—but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"—but not everything is constructive."
As a recovered addict I live these words everyday.

Legalize or not legalize? As long as 20%+ Americans smoke that stuff it really does not matter.

Last edited:
It's likely as little more nuanced than that. I've read that alcohol consumption fell to 30% of its pre-Prohibition era level, but recovered to 60% to 70% by the end of Prohibition. That doesn't tell the entire story. Probably occasional drinkers were more likely to not indulge in alcohol once it was made illegal. These were law-abiding people for whom an occasional drink was no longer worth the trouble. Heavy drinkers, who suffer most of the ill effects of alcohol, likely didn't slow down at all. They were addicted. Hard to control an addiction. Speakeasies popped up like mushrooms. My maternal grandfather played the horn in one as a side gig. Heavy drinkers are far more likely to frequent such joints than occasional drinkers who might enjoy alcohol socially in their home.

Even if some small number of lives were saved from not drinking, the sheer numbers of deaths caused by turf wars due to organized crime made up for it. The 50 year war on drugs created much the same situation. Drug cartels virtually run some countries. They're often better armed than the military. Whatever harms making these substances legal might create, it pales next to the criminal activity keeping them illegal has caused.

Yes, a little more nuanced. Good post. 👍

I think some are reading more into my posts than intended.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put down the weed and pick up a barbell.
Weed doesn't help when you're engaged in hand to hand combat

chip100t

Enlightened
I don't know about the stuff you smoke in the states but here in the uk it's all skunk.
If my neighbours want to smoke weed that's up to them but I don't want to smell it. I know people who's neighbours are daily smokers of skunk and the smell is constant, and they can't open their windows in the summer without the smell of weed coming into there house.

Status
Not open for further replies.