is is still not allowed to talk about maryjuanna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duster1671

Enlightened
Eh, addiction is a complex thing with weakness and indulgence being but two of many elements.
Yes, and those are, imo, two of the least important factors in addiction.

Look at a group of people with serious addiction problems and you'll find a group of people with a high incidence of other mental health issues. Peel back that layer and you'll find childhood trauma. Peel that back and you'll find poverty, racism, and other systemic issues.

Yes, the individual who gets addicted is somewhat to blame. But treating it as an issue of individual weakness and lack of discipline is just a stunning but all-too-common mischaracterization of the problem.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes, and those are, imo, two of the least important factors in addiction.

Look at a group of people with serious addiction problems and you'll find a group of people with a high incidence of other mental health issues. Peel back that layer and you'll find childhood trauma. Peel that back and you'll find poverty, racism, and other systemic issues.

Yes, the individual who gets addicted is somewhat to blame. But treating it as an issue of individual weakness and lack of discipline is just a stunning but all-too-common mischaracterization of the problem.
Mine was lack of self control and nothing but. Same with all my addict buddies. We all liked to get high.

Now I want some ice cream and donuts……

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this isn't a joke it's very sad. There must be more to life than being an armchair tough guy
Oh don't pity me…I'm very happy and blessed to be completely fulfilled….you see, I don't thirst for more.

This entire thread except for a few posts is sad.

Jesus + cardio + muscles

I don't sit in an armchair.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not trying to make anyone's decisions for them. This subject just hits really close to home. When my brother was a teenager, his best friend went to a party, got drunk and was involved in a car crash driving home. He didn't survive. The other passengers and the driver survived. Another friend was the driver who was on the hook for a manslaughter charge because he was drinking. A pastor at my church had a wild childhood before he was saved, got drunk, and crashed his car off a cliff. It was a miracle he survived. One of the men my Dad works with at a Christian drug recovery home (who now helps run the home) was a drunk driver who was paralyzed from the waist down in the accident. My Dad's last renter, while his wife was pregnant, started doing drugs. He ended up hitting her and she ran away. They divorced. I have seen and heard a lot of firsthand stories of how drugs and alcohol have totally destroyed a person's life. I grew up hearing people's testimonies from the drug recovery home when invited on their camp outs with my Dad while growing up. If you look at California, they legalized marijuana, but it's heroine and crack cocaine you hear about people on the streets overdosing on. Pot is a gateway drug. Once you start down that path, what is to prevent you from trying stronger drugs?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
fenix because the risk hect today alone in my state we will have so many needless deaths from herrion. but from what ive read no one ever died from weed

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a teenager, I got beat up by a gang of high school kids who smoked marijuana. After a severe beating, and running to the cops, I managed to get 2 of about 10 or 11 of the guys under citizen's arrest. One of the guys that got away was getting evicted from his home (Family wasn't paying rent. Probably spent it on drugs). Anyway, he stabbed the landlord through the heart with a screwdriver and killed him. I found out years later, he was out of jail and back on the street in my neighborhood. He had gotten a reputation for stabbing and killing someone with a piece of rebar. You think marijuana is safe? See how it affects people in finding hangouts to belong in places like gangs or how other drugs get pushed on them in social settings. Sometimes people who take drugs end up dealing to pay for their own habit. This may seem like an extreme case, but I actually had to deal with a gang war on my street during that time. It sucks to spend your evenings crawling on the floor calling 911.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I highly doubt cannabis was the cause of that violence. It's not that type of drug. You can't vilify something just because you don't understand it.
I'm getting out of this conversation. No one knows what they're talking about, myself included😁, and somehow religion got caught up in it. And tactical self defence.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
"When I was young you'd smoke a whole sack of grass, laugh until it hurt, munch on some twinkies and take a nap. That stuff they have now, you take 2 puffs and you're in a coma for the rest of the day"
- Dennis Miller

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It is a weirdly pungent smell, almost like an outgassing lithium smell, sort of fruity-metallic. I don't partake in any kind of smoking but I've been around people who do and that odor gets into clothes, carpet, everything. I stepped into an elevator at a hotel once where the carpeting smelled like weed and old beer. Yuk. 🤢

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for a member to cite examples of acceptable use of alcohol in the Bible.

Drink with a cheerful heart:

Drink wine to gladden the heart:

Turning water into wine:

Our family doesn't even drink coffee, much less alcohol. Cannabis not in a long time for me, but as long as others are not being hurt like children and family... let people be, seems like.

Empath

Flashaholic
The topic has been discussed enough to offer a sample of the opinions possible. The better topical place for the discussion is our Underground board. The variety of topics there offer an abundant variety of interesting subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.