Is it really worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BT1324

Newly Enlightened
I've been wondering, is the LS really worth the price? How many times it brighter than the arc-AAA?

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think you should compute price in terms of brightness. The LS is about 10x as bright as the AAA, but it's about 0.5x as bright as a 99 cent 2D household light from the local discount store. The LS is like a small bottle of a really good single malt Scotch. The 99 cent light is like a 2 liter bottle of Barf Cola. They are not designed for the same set of tastes and requirements. If you want an LS and don't mind the price, buy an LS. Don't worry about the dollar to lumen ratio. That's not what it's about.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roughly 10x the brightness of the AAA and IMHO it is worth every penny.

It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't seen the LS in person but to see so much light from such a small flashlight is just amazing.

The LS is waterproof and just about indestructible (just like the AAA) so it could be the last flashlight you ever buy (although now you've found CPF I seriously doubt it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

E

EchoSierraTwo

I would have to agree with both statements made here. In my opinion It is worth what I paid for. It is really, REALLY hard trying to explain to a person why the LS is such a great light. To most people, not all it's just a god!@#$ flashlight. They look at me in, I don't know if it is confusion, sheer stupidity or if they think that I am an !@#whole for spending upwards of $100+ for a flashlight. I did my research after getting caught with my pants down during the blackout. I swore to myself that niether me nor my family would be caught dead with out a light. So to me it is and was the best investment for both my family and I to get them (them meaning me: LSH-P, wife: AAA-P and daughter: AAA-P). And speaking of investment, Peter if you ever decide to go public and seek VC money. I hope that you will allow us to invest in founder shares. I would most certainly like to invest a few of my hard earned greenbacks in what i believe is a great light and a great company. I did it with Apple. I'll do it with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Its worth every single penny! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Excellent quality light.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
for the blend of innovation, quality, customer service, reliability, and overall coolness factor, the ls is one of the best lights you are likely to find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
I hope so . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

(it must or I wouldn't own half a dozen of them!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

They are bright, of very high quality and score very highly
on the "cool guy-gadget" test.

You should own at least one!

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
It's 8-10 times brighter than the AAA, in a package only 4 times the volume. And mine compares in output to an $8
2-D cell light I have. And much whiter too with consistent output for 2 hours. And no worries about the bulb burning out. And of course there's the quality construction and materials and excellent manufacturer support. And it is a cool light!

For me, the biggest value is in its small size, which allows me to EDC it, discretely at that. It's there when I need it. That makes it worth even more than, say, a brighter $300 light that's too big to carry conveniently and thus is at home or elsewhere when you need light. A big light has it's uses and does them well, but if you want a decently bright light that's a constant companion,
GET THE LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LS is also waterproof and built very solidly...can't say the same for other lights that may be bigger or brighter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
"What you pay is what it's worth." If I'm not willing to buy an LS because of the price, then it's not worth my money: but if I'm willing to pay the price then it's worth the money.

Since I bought three LS1's and will buy the new LS4's, they are definitely worth the money, for me.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well I'm sure there are those that have me beat, but I only own 12 of them! Now two of them belong to my teenage sons, so I just wanted you to know that I'm not "hogging" all of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I "should" reduce the inventory a "little" but they are like a good dog! They are part of the family and I just can't "let them go"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Therefore, I think you know what my answer would be as far as are they really worth the money!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have been thinking about letting 2 go (selling/trading/using as gifts/or letting my sons have them...)...but they would be missed!

BT1324

Newly Enlightened
wow...if you guys own that many ls's, then maybe i should get atleast one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

robk

Enlightened
Here's my experience:
During the July 4th sale, I bought a LSH-S. When I got it, I thought it was ugly, short, stubby, fat, not too bright, and it used expensive batteries. I also got a AA TSP, which effectively made it a $100 mini mag with an LED. Well, after almost 2 months, it has grown on me as I have used it almost every day. It has become the most carried light I have (other than an ARC AAA). I now see it as a bright, handsome, well made, useful tool that I never knew I needed until I started using it! A true work of art, and functionality in a small package that is very hard to beat. I got used to the CR123 batteries from my Surefires, just have to buy in bulk. You can't go wrong - it is a *fine* light.
Rob

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
Another resounding YES!

If it wasn't so small and light I wouldn't have carried it outside with me last night... and would have walked right into this guy:

fb39d685.jpg

Web was a large as a grabage can lid - right at eye level. Wasn't there earlier in the evening.
fb39d683.jpg

Eeewwwww!
fb39d67e.jpg

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yikes!

i was in my garage a few days ago...had just got done teasing my wife about being afraid of one of our squirrels that got sassy with her...

it was dark...i had the ol arc aaa out...fished a bucket from behind the grill, and heard a skittering...

it was a HUGE spider! nearly ran over my foot...and i nearly crapped myself!

re-read that description: i could HEAR it on a concrete floor. gives me the willies just thinking about it!

Bob<--not fearful of much--but big spiders and big snakes creep me out.

BT1324

Newly Enlightened
ugh...luckily im in nyc so i dont have to worry about big spiders and stuff. ll the bad mouthing and pollution and scared em away

Status
Not open for further replies.