Is it worth getting a Fisher Space pen?

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
For my cars, I like the Cap-o-matic M4B Military at $7.50 each. Pretty cheap and as others have pointed out, it works in wet or freezing weather.

While I really liked the pocketable form factor of the bullet, it was not very comfortable to hold. The cap wouldn't stay on the tail for long when writing and removing the cap from the closed position kept causing the main body to separate. It was a pain to keep pushing it together every time I used it. I finally stopped carrying it.

Recently I started carrying an X-750 Explorer. At $22.50, it was a little more than a bullet, but it is tremendously better ergonomically. It is about 3/8" longer than a bullet and not as tapered at the ends. This allows the cap to stay on the tail when writing for long periods. Most importantly for me, it has a rubber cushion grip that is very comfortable. It is now my favorite pocket pen.

I did look at the Trekker, which is the competitor to the Inka. The Trekker has the same cushion grip as the Explorer, but no place to put the cap when writing. It is about 1/8" shorter than the Explorer with a key ring attachment.

None of my newer pens have had the blobbing problem even in the medium point. My older medium point pens blobbed all the time. Maybe they have fixed it. However, I still plan to try a fine point when I need a refill.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yep worth it. I have 3 Space pens and an Inka powered by a pressurized ink cartridge. I pretty much use them exclusively to write nowadays, especially given the cold weather. Try writing with a normal pen against a wall in freezing cold weather, and you'll soon come to see why the Space pen is so much more practical.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: how do the Space Pens perform on receipts? My Inka can't start up on a receipt; it needs to kick in on ordinary paper first.

Mike V

Enlightened
I had a bullet with a medium point refill in it.

I liked the design of the pen but the ink used to smudge and sort of blob out and get ink everywhere.

Interesting that they may have fixed this or the fine points are better.

rmzalbar

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a black bullet pen I won as a door prize clipped in my jacket for 2 years now. The cartridge is medium black, and has never smudged or blobbed. Use it all the time.

I would say that if you have one doing this, ask Fisher about it, as at least one of them does not.

BTW, it writes on slick receipts without issue :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Having worked as a high-end Pen Salesman a few years ago, I didn't find them to be great pens. They do write every which way and underwater. But so what? How often do you need a pen capable of that?

The ink in the cartridges makes you feel like you're using a piece of chalk. Even by ballpoint standards, the ink comes out very rough.

I use pens that take standard ballpoint Cross or Parker cartridges. Very smooth ink flow, never had one leak on me, and replacement cartridges don't require a special trip to a pen store.

For $30, you get a quality pen. If you want a very smooth-writing ballpoint; look elsewhere.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Monocrom, pens are like tools to me (the ole' you can't do all jobs with one screwdriver analogy).

I rarely use the Space Pen at home, but in the "Great Alaskan Outdoors" (working, hiking, hunting, fishing, in extreme temps, weather, & such) - it's certainly been a worthy tool!!

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like'em... we have been ordering spacepens for 4 years... however recently they've slacked some in quality. We got a batch where 3 didn't work...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sigman said:
Monocrom, pens are like tools to me (the ole' you can't do all jobs with one screwdriver analogy).

I rarely use the Space Pen at home, but in the "Great Alaskan Outdoors" (working, hiking, hunting, fishing, in extreme temps, weather, & such) - it's certainly been a worthy tool!!

Like I said, it's a quality line of pens. In extreme temps, weather, or conditions; I can see how they'd come in handy.

But under normal, day-to-day conditions, there are better choices. I've never had a Parker or Cross refill fail on me. Even in extreme cold, the way it is now in NYC.

I think of my pens with a standard Cross or Parker ballpoint refill not as one screwdriver, but as one of the thicker Multi-tools on the market. :grin2:

Shur

Newly Enlightened
Quick question: how do the Space Pens perform on receipts? My Inka can't start up on a receipt; it needs to kick in on ordinary paper first.

I know it's an old thread but after reading this I had to reply.
It is great at writing on receipts, I do it all day. One of the few pens that never needed a kick start and wont smudge on the receipt or the labels I use at work. (The other being the Pentel RSVP series).
I find I have to hold mine more vertically than other pens though.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I had a Bullet Space Pen for years, and hated it because the ink oozed out of the nib - whenever I wanted to use it, I had to wipe the nib first.

I recently had another go with the pen, got myself a new fine point black refill, and it was totally different, no leaks !

I now have 4 bullet space pens, 3 chrome, one old 2 tone brass and black, and a retractable space pen on the way. The Bulet Pens are the perfect fit for my Filofax pen loop.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, it is worth it. I use my full size all the time and it has a huge reservoir. Same size as Parker. Writes on most surfaces.

Bill

Gizzy

Newly Enlightened
If you want to keychain carry(so that you can always have one in case you forget to bring your bigger pen)
go with Inka :thumbsup: the ink cartridges are pressurized so they can write anywhere also.
You wont notice it at all if you already have a couple things on your keychain

CLHC

Flashaholic
I did have a black one once, but the clip kept slipping off even after I've Loc-Tite it! Maybe it's just my manner of handling it. Now if they ever come out with a Gel version with more girth.

Latest posts