Is it worth it?

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a light with some throw for spotting. Should I stay inexpensive and pick up a Propolymer 3c or go all out and get a Elektrolumens Long Throw? Any suggestions? My only problem with buying the Long Throw is the cost for a light that won't see much use.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProPoly Lux in 3C is an excellent choice. You could also consider the MagLED. I own and enjoy both lights.

What purpose are you hoping to fulfill?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
nmiller, welcome to cpf. You didn't really state your intended purpose other than throw. The Porpoly C would be an excellent light that should give you years of service and provide very good throw all at a great price. There are better throwers but I don't know your budget or intended purpose.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll use it at my friends farm out in the field to spot animals and people. With my limited experience, most LED lights don't have much throw. If I could get something that will throw a decent spot for about 200 to 300 feet I'd be happy.

Thanks,

Nick

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 EL lites, they are most excellent. I like long throw, but don't have that one yet.

My 4D MagLite throws farther than anything I have. I don't have that "Long Throw " lilte..

MagLEDs are very good bang for the buck, but basically cr@p compared to better made, custom lites like E.L.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm going to recommend that you get a 3D (or 3C, whichever) MagLED. Those things have truly excellent throw for a truly excellent price.

X Racer

Enlightened
Magled is not bad for the money, but a nice maglite mod would probably be a better choice. You can read a little here and build one, or buy one from someone like Icarus here on CPF...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
nmiller said:
...My only problem with buying the Long Throw is the cost for a light that won't see much use.
Everyone is different, but speaking only for myself I can state that that would not be a valid reason for me.

Anyone who has read many of my posts will know that I'm really a dim light guy but I know that when I need bright, nothing else will do. This long post touches on the fact that 'throw kings' may be very worthwhile if that's what you need, no matter how briefly you use it.

If you are considering the light just to show your friends for the 'WOW factor' your reasoning makes perfect sense -- if, on the other hand, you have a real need for a bright light once in a while when all of your chips are on the line, it won't matter how few minutes or even seconds you use it for if it saves the day.

It's like the spare tire most keep in their car. We don't judge it's worth by how much time we actually use it -- we judge it by the fix it gets us out of.

Last edited:

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys. I think Sub_Umbra has a point. I guess if I'm will to spend the cash on a nice custom knife why not a flashlight??? I guess being a new flashaholic I never realized what lights can cost. Its a shocker, but I don't want to repeat my error in knife collecting by starting off saving the money and buying numerous lights only to work my way up into the expensive lights I really want and have the need for. That costs a lot more in the long run. May as well get the right tool for the job first.

Thanks,
Nick

Gnufsh

Enlightened
I like the SL Survivor LED, nice throw, and a very tight hotspot. I haven't tried it in smoke yet, but I may this week. Looks to be good for search & rescue type work. It is a little bright for walking out to my car in the dark, though. I think my mini mag with a wah wang led is about right for that.

X Racer

Enlightened
nmiller said:
Long John,

What do you think of the Black one. The #4.

#4 is very nice and one of the lights built by Icarus that I had posted about already. You can learn on the forum here how to build one yourself or just purchase one from someone who builds them like Icarus. The modded 2C maglites have excellent thow for a good price, and I think they will fit the bill for a decent thrower without breaking the bank.

If you want great throw and aren't on a budget, the McLuxIII-HD45 is awesome and Surefires L6 is nice...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
nmiller said:
Long John,

What do you think of the Black one. The #4.

nmiller:)

If you are willing to spend the money.....take it:). It's a bargain.

It has my prefered bin-X1J, so the beam is not blueish (I don't like bueish tints). It's more a warmer tint with the tendency to yellowish (great for outdoors).
It has a driver, glaslense, very good heatsink and it's perfect build (like all lights from Freddy), so not comparable to a stock Mag.

IMO the light you are looking for.

I hope that helps:)

Best regards

_____
Tom

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John,

I'm taking your advice so I'm assuming if I don't like it you'll pay for it:lolsign: . Thanks for the help. I claimed it on the thread hopefully I'll hear from Freddy soon.

Nick

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
nmiller said:
Long John,

I'm taking your advice so I'm assuming if I don't like it you'll pay for it:lolsign: . Thanks for the help. I claimed it on the thread hopefully I'll hear from Freddy soon.

Nick

Hello Nick:)

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure, you will not regret this decision:).
In the last time, I have spend a lot of money for lights (seems normal here:lolsign:), so I don't want to engage in the adventure to say, if you don't like it, I will take it, but I'm sure you will keep this light:).

BTW my lights: nearly all of my lights (1 exception) I got from Freddy, since I'm a member here and I have never seen a better building quality.

Enjoy your light,

Very best regards

_____
Tom

pilou

Enlightened
nmiller said:
I'll use it at my friends farm out in the field to spot animals and people.

How often will you do that? Every night or maybe once a month when you are visiting your friend? How about size, does it matter?

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou - I go every couple weeks. Other than that, I'm a big beleiver that size must be reasonable otherwise I won't carry the light. That is why I chose the Mag 2c mod per Long Johns advice. Its a bigger light (in my opinion), but its not too big.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're thinking of a 2C M/\G mod you should read this thread, about an IsaacHayse creation. I was so impressed I had him build me a DD 3C M/\G LuxIII Cyan throw king after Katrina -- I couldn't quite afford the 2C boosted, regulated version. He does nice work and I found his prices very fair.

Last edited: