Is the AW 18650 battery worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiteCoreAddict

Newly Enlightened
Im new at using 18650 batterys and I have a UltraFire "gold/black" which works pretty good for me. Someone told me that the AW 18650 batterys are very good but their $30.00 a pop! Are they worth the price? Im using them in my Nitecore MT-26 and my Nitecore EC2. Thanks...

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW batteries are good, but overpriced. Go XTAR (Sanyo, Panasonic cells), Intl-Outdoor (Sanyo, Panasonic cells), Keeppower (Panasonic, Samsung etc), Fenix ARB-L2 (China BAK), Nitecore NL186 (Samsung) or Enerpower, Spark, AmpMax are also good brands.

I don't recommend UltraFire and other similar, cheap ***Fire batteries.

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned
$30 a pop? Seriously? You can get pair of Keeppower 3400mAh batteries for that price, and they have higher capacity than top-of-the-line AW's.

Samy

Enlightened
Wow i think you might need to look around. I uually pay about $18 per 3100mah AW 18650.

cheers

Shadowww

Banned
Just ordered AW 18650s from Lighthound at $12.99 ea.
Those are 2200mAh ones, they're worthless, they perform even worse than TrustFire cells (which cost less than that for a pair, so 2x cheaper).

326575.png

NiteCoreAddict

Newly Enlightened
AW batteries are good, but overpriced. Go XTAR (Sanyo, Panasonic cells), Intl-Outdoor (Sanyo, Panasonic cells), Keeppower (Panasonic, Samsung etc), Fenix ARB-L2 (China BAK), Nitecore NL186 (Samsung) or Enerpower, Spark, AmpMax are also good brands.

I don't recommend UltraFire and other similar, cheap ***Fire batteries.

So any Panasonic or Sanyo with a high mAh will do the trick, correct?

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
So any Panasonic or Sanyo with a high mAh will do the trick, correct?

Definitely are a lot better than any XXXXfire

Check in ebay for the sanyo 2600mha if I dont recall wrong you can buy a pair for less that 16$ shipped, I have some and their are great...

For me AW is overpriced... Others are the same of good.

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
There's is absolutely no reason what so ever to buy AW. They charge more, a lot more, for the same thing as Intl Outdoors, Xtar, Keeppower etc. The thing is they contain the same Panasonic cells wrapped by the same company (usually Keeppower) using the same protection board with the only difference being the name on the label. AW is way overpriced comparitively.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's is absolutely no reason what so ever to buy AW. They charge more, a lot more, for the same thing as Intl Outdoors, Xtar, Keeppower etc. The thing is they contain the same Panasonic cells wrapped by the same company (usually Keeppower) using the same protection board with the only difference being the name on the label. AW is way overpriced comparitively.

I have saying the same two o three years ago...

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Keeppower 3400 are a good price but make sure they can fit your light, I've already read 2 reports of them not fitting into lights.

According to HKJ's battery comparer, they are 18.7mm fat so check the ID of your tube before getting them.

Tuikku

Enlightened
I have used Xtar 2600mAh cells in my single cell flashlights for long time.
Ordered probably over 30 of them, yet to discover a single dud in them. Solid performers BUT they are pretty long in size.

If used in 2 x 18650 lights, make sure first, you can fir 2 of them in one light ;)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I like AW cells. They aren't that bad in price. You can get 3100 mAh protected cells for under $20. However, since they don't yet make 3400 mAh cells yet, I've ordered Orbtronic 3400 mAh protected cells. These are still under $20 each with free shipping. Whatever cells you purchase, make sure they are made with Panasonic 3400 mAh cells. These are currently the best cells and most good protected 3400 mAh cells use them and just add a PCB.

Shadowww

Banned
Personally, I like AW cells. They aren't that bad in price. You can get 3100 mAh protected cells for under $20. However, since they don't yet make 3400 mAh cells yet, I've ordered Orbtronic 3400 mAh protected cells. These are still under $20 each with free shipping. Whatever cells you purchase, make sure they are made with Panasonic 3400 mAh cells. These are currently the best cells and most good protected 3400 mAh cells use them and just add a PCB.
All, not "most". Panasonic is the only manufacturer who produces 3400mAh cells (at least for now).

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW should actually price their batteries more competitively, the competition has caught up and im sure they feel the pinch of losing customers to the other protected cell brands.

Shadowww

Banned
AW should actually price their batteries more competitively, the competition has caught up and im sure they feel the pinch of losing customers to the other protected cell brands.
Yup.. pair of AW 3100mAh = $44.5 (19.75/cell + $5 shipping), pair of Intl-Outdoor 3100mAh = $25.95, and I-O ones actually perform better:
e54a4f.png

Status
Not open for further replies.