Is the Logan QTC 17500 direct drive?

Wurkkos

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I just place an order for the Logan QTC w/momentary on at oveready.com.

I opted for the pocket clip and 17500 body since I have a handfull of those 17500 cells already. Plus; this size just fits the hand better.

Since there is no current regulation via traditional driver. Does that mean its essentially direct drive?????

Thank you,
bigC

Curt R

Enlightened
The boost circuit used in the small pocket lights limits the
current drive to one Amp at 4 volts of battery power. Higher
voltage would cause the circuit and the LED to go:poof:.

Curt

purelite

Enlightened
Hey Bigchelis I ordered the same light from Oveready. waiting to get it. where do you get the 17500 cells? I want an IMR but may have togo with a PCB cell.

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Hey Bigchelis I ordered the same light from Oveready. waiting to get it. where do you get the 17500 cells? I want an IMR but may have togo with a PCB cell.

Lighthound has AW 17500 (protected & unprotected) cells available now. I don't think I've ever seen an IMR 17500 though.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use AW 17500 cells. They are protected and at just 1A via the driver that should be no problem for those cells.

So, this Peak logan has a 1A driver but a faucit like QTC that makes the current variable depending on presure or how much I twist the bezel on.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Peak Logan 17500 with momentary on/off from oveready.com and I can tell you it is in fact look like its Direct Drive. Which is a big bonus for me.

The XP-G R5 has a super low vF anyways so, even at 3.7V input (depleted cell) the current should still be 1A or more.

With a fresh AW 17500 cell I get an awesome 1.6A at the tail. 10min later the current dropped and I get 1.4A at the tail, which is still really impressive.
Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbhGsJ6YGo

Curt R

Enlightened
A 1.5 Volt Alkaline AA battery will deliver 200 mA to the LED at
960 mA battery draw and 86 bulb Lumens.

A 3 volt battery supply will deliver 540 mA to the LED with 970 mA
of battery draw and 210 bulb Lumens.

At max power of 1000 mA to the LED the bulb output should be
about 350 Lumens.

With the 17500 battery you may get 1200 mA to the LED with about
400 bulb Lumens.

I will try to get the battery inserts on the machine this coming week.
There will be inserts for the 17500 battery compartment to use AAA,
AA and CR123A/RCR123A size batteries.

We also have a few battery compartments that use two AA batteries
in series for 3.0 volt operation. These can be had with the Judco tail
switch without the QTC or a key ring tail that can use our momentary
tail switch and the QTC pill. Never use two 14500 batteries.

Curt

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
This sounds like a great and close to perfect EDC for me too.

Yesterday i read about it in BigChelis review, and im a big fan of the L1 interface, i know that the momentary wont be as exact as the 2 mode L1 one, but the infinite ramping would more than make up for that, specially with the precision of a twisty also available on the same flashlight.

I tried to contact Peak via the website asking to buy a QTC El Cap, but that was before knowing of the existance of this model, as the page is not updated i assume my message might be lost, Oveready is the only intl. option i have i guess? are there any others?, its out of stock there and they only have one with a stainless head, which makes it a bit more expensive i assume, still deciding if i would buy an Al or SS head one. Do you take international orders Curt?

QTC plus momentary AND the choice of ubiquitus AA(Alks or NiMh) or more power with a 14500 or 17500 Li-Ion? definitely would like one, in fact i would like 2, but hey gotta save some pennies before i get the backup.

After seeing the beam and how smooth the light works i am definitely in for one, now if anyone can give me a hand on how to get it please let me know.

This seems like a very portable intuitive and versatile light, and efficient to boot with a good driver and QTC preventing much loss,

how has it been after some days of use BigC?, thanks for the review btw.

Last edited: