Is the Post Office stealing my lights???

reptiles

Enlightened
[Every so often someone will send me a light that requires a signature.]

First time I "lost" a package, I thought it was a fluke.

Then my Peu titanium E body "disappeared."

Now another light is missing.

It seems this is what's happening: I'm home (work at home) during the day. Mail is delivered to my curb side box. I have a sensor that beeps when it arrives.

I go out and find a pink "Sorry we missed you" slip. The lazy @&*#! mailman never came to the door to have me sign for the package.

I go to the post office same day ("its on the truck, come back tomorrow"). Next day, stand in line again for 40 minutes... they can't find it. They tell me it will be "re-delivered tomorrow."

Tomorrow --nothing. I go back and they tell me it "must have been returned to sender" as unclaimed.

And the insurance I bought, doesn't cover the "return trip" WTF?

Of course, nothing ever gets retuned. The mail monster just eats it.

So you're thinking... he should talk to the supervisor at the PO.

That is like talking to a brick wall. Here is a typical transcript of a recent conversation:

me: (pink slip in hand) I was home, but the carrier never came to the door.

PO Supervisor: Well if you're not home they leave form 3849.

me: I was home. He never attempted to deliver.

PO Super: Form 3849 is a delivery attempt.

me: Wouldn't the doorbell work better if he needed my signature?

PO Super: You can sign form 3849

me: I did sign the form, but you can't find the package.

PO Super: We can't hold all packages forever.

me: Maybe you should try delivering them.

PO Super: You can call 800-ASK-USPS for a redelivery.

me: and they will forward that request to this office?

PO Super: yes.

me: but I'm here now. Can I request it in person?

PO Super: I'm sure it will turn up tomorrow.

(cycle repeats)

Very frustrating. Happy my Gatlight came via DHL.

Any advice most appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you just speak with a supervisor or the Postmaster? How expensive were the lights? If it was just a supervisor I would ask to speak with the Postmaster. If that doesn't help the I would ask who the next higher person above the Postmaster is. Hope this helps. I was in customer service for about 13 1/2 yrs in the military and still am as a LEO. Poor customer service upsets me badly and I usually ending up ranting about it..

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one package sit at the post office for two weeks because I didn't even get an "attempt to deliver" notice. While asking me about my lack of that form, I happened to mention that I've watched the Postman drive up to my box, put mail in, then drive off. Then ~1 minute later when I put on shoes and go out to the box, there's the "attempt to deliver" notice. This actually upset the guy at my local post office and he said if it ever happened again, to call them immediately. I was surprised he actually seemed to care, and he was very insistant that I call the next time it happens. More people like that and maybe USPS wouldn't lose so much business to the private companies.

Pistolero

Enlightened
If you get the run-around at the lower levels ask to talk to the Postmaster about filing a complaint. Usually the Postmaster will chew the dudes out for not verifying if someone is home... and that'll take care of that.

If things don't ever get resolved either threaten or go straight to the Office of the Inspector General. They don't take that sheeit lightly over there.

I always wondered why Mail theft/tampering is a federal offense. To me, it seemed like overkill. But now, when I realize what we and others ship, and how important it is to business sometimes... it makes sense. I have a buddy who is serving as a Doctor in some Paraguyan village. He's told the homefolk to stop sending stuff because it just gets taken from the packages. Batteries, FLASHLIGHTS(grrr...), tools, toys, non-prescription drugs, etc. And this does hamper his ability to help people in the surrounding area. All because someone decided to help themselves to the goods in the goodie bag.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I recently had a Fenix "lost" in the mail. It was even scanned as being delivered, but it never showed up in my mailbox. It wasn't a case of someone stealing it out of my mailbox either, because you need a key to get into it. Cheers to Gary over at Fenix for taking care of the problem and sending me a replacement. I hope he chewed out USPS and got some compensation. At least someone in the line of custody has good customer service, and has earned a repeat customer. Now I'm just waiting for an updated L2P....

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome ot my PO.

I was home all day waiting for a package and i received a 3849 slip!!! My doorbell was not rung!!

My packages also go missing sometimes. They blame it on someone stealing it off my stoop... mail box etc...

long story long.. I feel your pain!!!

luigi

Enlightened
There are only three professionals you should not mess with:
- The dentist
- The hairdresser
- The mailman

So whatever you do make sure you have a nice relationship with the guys that deliver your mail.

Luigi

Marduke

Flashaholic
There are only three professionals you should not mess with:
- The dentist
- The hairdresser
- The mailman

So whatever you do make sure you have a nice relationship with the guys that deliver your mail.

Luigi

You forgot your surgeon. You never want to make your doctor annoyed at you.

aerosimon

Newly Enlightened
Those surgical scissors are reasonable value arent they? Id upset em, have the op, keep the goods, then pull them out using a hex key just like an old magswitch(dream bubble pops).. but anyway, then put it up on ebay and let the bidding go nuts:)for story and items:)

Ok, i wouldnt really, (well no poop!), but I sympathise to the first time, and had a recent experience not 2 weeks ago... Not the medical kind, but a package not delivered.. No knock, no note, nothing.. Im a bit out of abililty so always home,, but nothing.. And these are things that keep me going... I was hanging for a LF700 Lumen, to play with in a mag.. I got it about 3 weeks after initialy expected, becauses Glen C:thumbsup: resent.. Shame that someone here is trying to help Aussie cpfers by having a base in country, but then for it to get flogged by postie or whoever.. Unfair. And again a big cheers to GlenC on the second send. I was happy to wait his suggested time, then gave it a bit more and yep got it second time round. Wonder 'if' the postie knocked it off, delivered the next one and what was he thinking about it?? Nextime i answer il have a torch in hand being worked on and see what he looks at/asks.. Then again, its just advertising to a potential crook whats on offer at this address.

Forgotten where i started, but thanks cpf, yous are 'mostly' all great:)

FASTCAR

Banned
I feel you pain !
I have been shipping lots of boxes for 15 years or so.

The worst ever was when FEDEX ( at the newark hub..bad bad bad crime in this area) LOST a full race stage III motor and trans.This was on a skid and 500LBS or so.It made me look like a jerk when it never showed.

Countless phone calls and Emails later..NADA. It just went POOF so it seems.

Sadly thugs work at hubs.They must see certain names ..perhaps stereo or TV or car related MFGs..and they just jack the box.

Makes me sick.

Over the years I have had dozens lost, broken or was just outright scammed.

I might make a thread about how the last scam worked..and actually "got" me.I THOUGHT I had seen it all at this point.Seems not.

My 2 cents

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow! ..... I now have a new reason for being happy that all my lights are from Brick & Mortar stores, including my Surefires.

reptiles

Enlightened
somehow you have to avoid retaliation from your postal carrier.

I thought of that. If I **** him off, I'll never get anything again.

One of my neighbors down the street (an eBay junkie) removed her mailbox from the curb, to make him deliver to her house.

All she got was a notice that no mail will be delivered until she replaces her mailbox.

Good try, though.

=Mark

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
My box is attached to my house but I have to be quick to catch him because he does not wait very long.

As fas as the pink slips, I have not had a problem. I live in a smaller town with less mail traffic so maybe that has something to do with it. Larger city, more traffic and more mass confusion at the PO??

Marduke

Flashaholic
Try using a bigger mailbox that can hold some of the small-medium sized packages. I like this one
1e%20My%20mailbox%205-21.jpg

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I had one package sit at the post office for two weeks because I didn't even get an "attempt to deliver" notice. While asking me about my lack of that form, I happened to mention that I've watched the Postman drive up to my box, put mail in, then drive off. Then ~1 minute later when I put on shoes and go out to the box, there's the "attempt to deliver" notice. This actually upset the guy at my local post office and he said if it ever happened again, to call them immediately. I was surprised he actually seemed to care, and he was very insistant that I call the next time it happens. More people like that and maybe USPS wouldn't lose so much business to the private companies.

This happened to me EVERY time! The guy would NEVER walk the 1200 feet to my door! :D I finally got a PO Box, problem solved! :nana:

Mad1

Enlightened
An odd thing about my post office.

When I send something in the UK they get it next day yet whenever anyone sends me anything it takes 3 or 4 days.

It's bizzare and really annoying.

Latest posts