Is the Powerex MH-C9000 and LaCrosse BC1000 still among the best NIMH chargers?

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have both of the chargers mentioned in the thread title. I'm looking to add another to my "collection" as the number of batteries I have seem to be steadily growing. I've noticed the LaCrosse gets much hotter while charging, but I've read that the Maha might not charge eneloops entirely. They both seem to have pros/cons but I prefer the Maha.

I was considering just getting another C9000 (since I don't like how hot the LaCrosse's get), but was wondering if there any other equal or superior options on the market now. I've had my Maha for years so am wondering if it is still "the best", or if another model has come along and offers a better charging algorithm.

Thank you!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought both the C9000 and the BC-700 back in 01/12 and I still use them. I don't need to charge up a lot of batteries at once, so my Maha gets most of the work, but I recently brought the BC-700 over to my GF's place, along with my SWM D40A light and Duracell Ion Core AAs and used it the other day. I have a NiteCore i4 v.2 and an Xtar VC4 if I need a lot of things charged up at once.

As you note, it gets hot and things were hot over at her place, but I don't think they got hot enough to suspend charging, which has happened many times with my BC-700.

I would not personally buy another LaCrosse charger for that exact reason, but otherwise, it has worked well.

Chris

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
The nitecore and VC4 are pretty affordable, do they charge just as well as the Maha or LaCrosse? I've noticed propping up the back of the LaCrosse helps alot, also.

Thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nitecore and VC4 are pretty affordable, do they charge just as well as the Maha or LaCrosse? I've noticed propping up the back of the LaCrosse helps alot, also.

Thanks

I have a NiteCore i4 v.2 and an Xtar VC4 and they both do adequate jobs of charging up NiMH and li-ions for not a lot of cash, but with four slots filled, they're a bit slower and in the case of the Xtar VC4, it needs a good and solid 2.1A wall wart to get the fastest charging out of it and something like the Apple 12w 2.4A wart.

Both can work well with 12v and 5v USB solar panels, if that matters?

Neither is a sophisticated as the Maha and LaCrosse NiMH chargers, as they lack the analysing features, but the Xtar will measure how much capacity is put into the batteries/slots.

Chris

hammerjoe

Enlightened
My opinion is that although they are very capable chargers they are old and nimh batteries have evolved with new chemistries and functions (like lsd).

Does that mean that the Maha and lacrosse don't work? No, they will work but are they charging the batteries properly without damaging them? I am not so sure.
That's why i would invest in the new crop of chargers available. Check their technical reviews and choose one that suit your needs.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion is that although they are very capable chargers they are old and nimh batteries have evolved with new chemistries and functions (like lsd).

Does that mean that the Maha and lacrosse don't work? No, they will work but are they charging the batteries properly without damaging them? I am not so sure.
That's why i would invest in the new crop of chargers available. Check their technical reviews and choose one that suit your needs.

The Maha is still a great charger, no doubt about that.

The LaCrosse chargers are very good as well, but due to their smaller footprint and size, they don't do well with transferring heat away from the batteries, so we get a thermal shutdown until they cool.

There are other good chargers out there, many multi-chemistry versions, like the Opus BT-3100/3400 v.2.2, but they're not quite at the level (for NiMH batteries at least,) as the Maha C-9000 Wizard One.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know LSD NIMH's needed to be charged any differently

I think that the problem is with chargers that trickle charge them constantly. They don't self discharge all that fast and so they get filled up too much.

The Maha has a topping off process that requires 2 hours, but you wouldn't want your Eneloops to be on there for another 24 hours.

Chris

roadwarrior

Newly Enlightened
I was considering just getting another C9000 (since I don't like how hot the LaCrosse's get), but was wondering if there any other equal or superior options on the market now. I've had my Maha for years so am wondering if it is still "the best", or if another model has come along and offers a better charging algorithm.

Thank you!

Get another Maha....

I guarantee you will not regret it, it is the best AA/AAA charger investment I have ever made and to top it off, Maha has excellent customer support!

Just be mindful of the 2 hour top off after "DONE" and your batteries will work great and last a for a long time. Currently running/rotating 7 AA quads through mine and they are all within minimum or at maximum capacity after charging.

The experts on here are who recommended it to me and I have been happy since the day I took it out of the box. :D

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the continued replies =)

I wasn't aware of the 2 hour top off after "DONE". I read HKJ's review stating that the Maha may not charge the cells entirely, is this related?

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
I see, I've been taking them off when the charger says done. Do you think this could have damaged my batteries? Or is it simply undercharging them?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see, I've been taking them off when the charger says done. Do you think this could have damaged my batteries? Or is it simply undercharging them?

Yes, you've just undercharged them by 100-200mAh, nothing to worry about.

After they say done, set a timer for 2 hours and remove them once it goes off.

Chris

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
That would explain why my cells read consistently low..

Thanks a lot for the help!

clintb

Enlightened
Only undercharging, nothing more.

The MH-C9000, while a bit long in the tooth, was designed around the time Eneloop's came out. At the time of MH-C9000's release, there was speculation around the default 1000 mAh charge rate, and that being 0.5C of a AA Eneloop. Coincidence? Not likely.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C9000 is definitely better than the BC1000. The BC1000 isn't a bad charger and it will charge high resistance cells but the trickle charge can be bad for LSD cells. I prefer the C9000 as the trickle charge is better and it's not a big deal if you leave the cells in the charger overnight.