Is the Surge supposed to be focusable?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light came with the head not completely tight and I keep it backed off about a half a turn for a smoother hot spot but is this supposed to be a focusable light? The web site just calls it "wide beam." Am I compromising the water resistance integrity by doing this?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Actually, I've wanted to ask that same question. I've used my Surge focussed tight, wide and in between, though its purest and most impressive beam is a tight focus. I got caught in a pretty strong downpour with it in "wide position" (partially unscrewed) and it didn't affect its performance. I've been tempted to give it the bathtub treatment at wide focus but I haven't quite worked up the nerve. Hopefully another flashaholic will weigh in on this.

Regards,
Brightnorm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the tight focus being the best for the light but at least on my light, the tightest focus is backed off about a half a turn. If tightened down all the way, it starts to widen out again. Still no Surefire but an impressive usable light. With AA alkalines ten dollars for 48 at Costco, an economical light as well.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came completely screwed in, so I never thought of trying to focus it, but it works! Gives a really bright spot beam this way. It's brighter than the Tec 40 at the center with a smoother beam. I don't see why it wouldn't still be waterproof, since the bezel still completely covers the o-ring.

funk

Enlightened
It is focusable and that is in the design. They told me that they don't specify it, becuase it was designed as a dive light initially, and you can imagine some guy under water trying to focus the beam and going just a shade too far - followed by the flood.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
The Surge is a great light...I never even thought about tweeking the beam...Is there any loss of reach/ brightness when spotting it down?

Brock

Flashaholic
Nope, the beam gets brighter as you tighten the beam down. I did take the light to 10 feet and ran it from flood to spot, then took it apart (out of the water) and there wasn't a drop in it. I was a bit hesitant going to flood, but it didn't leak at all. Granted it was only 10 feet.