Is there a 1W headlamp that uses AAs?

mercanucaribe

Newly Enlightened
I can't find any except some freakishly expensive ones at REI, and I don't think they even use Luxeon 1W emitters. I bought a Craftsman 1W headlamp that uses 3xAAA today and was going to mod it to use four (nimh) AAs. Will that work or do I need to return it?

Last edited:

bpfsu

Newly Enlightened
mercanucaribe said:
I can't find any except some freakishly expensive ones at REI, and I don't think they even use Luxeon 1W emitters. I bought a Craftsman 1W headlamp that uses 3xAAA today and was going to mod it to use fou (nimh) AAs. Will that work or do I need to return it?

Have you priced the Princeton Tec EOS? Uses a 1 Watt Luxeon but uses AAA's, not AA's.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec Apex. Regulated, multi level, 4AAs, very bright. Uses a lux III which is a Lux 1 with better thermal characteristics.

not2bright

Enlightened
The Princeton Tec Matrix 2 used a Luxeon I side emitter running on two AA's. Got mine on closeout from REI-outlet for $17. That has been one of my best light values to date. I don't use it all the time, but when I have, it sure was nice to have the headlamp!

mercanucaribe

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez:The Princeton Tec Matrix 2 is probably the best option but I don't have time to order one and wait, if I can even find it. The Craftsman is nice because it has two light levels plus a red LED. Will a 3xAAA lamp work with 4xAA or will it burn out? I'll put the AAs on the back in a battery pack.

That sucks that the PTM was discontinued.. There isn't an affordable 2xAA 1W headlamp in existence anymore. I despise AAAs!!! There's nothing AAAs can do that fewer AAs can't do better.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello mercan...:)

Welcome here:grin2:.

I have tried the same with a 1W Lux LED-Lenser and it burnt out:thumbsdow.

So if you need your light - don't try it.

If you will have the chance to get a Silva L1 get it. It's a 3Watter with 3 brightness levels and blink funktion. Runs with 4xAA or 4x Baby cells in a batteriecontainer for a belt, included.

Best regards

____
Tom

mercanucaribe

Newly Enlightened
Hmm.. I do have some resistors. How do you calculate what resistance I would need to get to 4.5V? I measured the 4 AAs with a multimeter and got 5.5v with a full charge.

Is this right? http://www.muzique.com/schem/led.htm
I entered 5.5v, and 4.5v as the LED forward voltage at 2000milliamps (1W/4.5v).. and it spat out "1". Too bad my resistors are 10ohm.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Princeton Tech Yukon HL is a 1-watt Lux using 4 AAs, and well rated by FlashlightReviews. It's given me years of good service. It also has three 5mm leds for battery conservation. Good water resistance also. The switch can be hard to operate w gloves on, but if the "caribe" part of you name is any indication, gloves probably won't be a part of your wardrobe.

I've never used a Princeton Tech Apex, but that gets great reviews. Neither are inexpensive, but they are good values and very good quality.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing your amperage is a little high. But there are a couple of things.
1) If you are keeping the guts intact and running your 4AA into the 3AAA battery bay, then you will have up to 6V with fresh batteries (1.5V ea) and don't need to limit the current too much, but still should some since AA's have a higher current capacity than AAA's. One or two ohms may do the trick.
2) But if you are bypassing the guts, you need to use around 3.2V Vf and lower amperage.

mercanucaribe said:
Hmm.. I do have some resistors. How do you calculate what resistance I would need to get to 4.5V? I measured the 4 AAs with a multimeter and got 5.5v with a full charge.

Is this right? http://www.muzique.com/schem/led.htm
I entered 5.5v, and 4.5v as the LED forward voltage at 2000milliamps (1W/4.5v).. and it spat out "1". Too bad my resistors are 10ohm.

mercanucaribe said:
I can't find any except some freakishly expensive ones at REI, and I don't think they even use Luxeon 1W emitters. I bought a Craftsman 1W headlamp that uses 3xAAA today and was going to mod it to use four (nimh) AAs. Will that work or do I need to return it?

Get the 4AA yellow Eveready headlamp from Home Depot and install a 4 cell drop in(but not the MagLED, because its fat and it won't fit). It has a textured reflector and an adjustable focus. It's moderately priced at $10 and whatever the drop in might set you back.

mercanucaribe

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Get the 4AA yellow Eveready headlamp from Home Depot and install a 4 cell drop in(but not the MagLED, because its fat and it won't fit). It has a textured reflector and an adjustable focus. It's moderately priced at $10 and whatever the drop in might set you back.

Actually, if it takes the standard bulbs, I can buy one of these for $20 and take out the bulb. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/craftsman_endurable.htm

mercanucaribe said:
Actually, if it takes the standard bulbs, I can buy one of these for $20 and take out the bulb. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/craftsman_endurable.htm

I have the Mag 4D xenon bulb in my Eveready headlamp and it is as bright as the Mag 4D running on 4 NiMH.

I had the Craftsman 4AA, but be careful, the polarity is non-conventional on that one. The body is positive, center is negative. You'll have to modify the battery contacts to allow them to fire up with batteries installed backward or you'll have to reverse the polarity on the lamp module.

Here's what the Eveready 4AA looks like
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/113248

Last edited:

mercanucaribe

Newly Enlightened
I modded the Craftsman. I soldered the wires to the appropriate contacts on the 3AAA carrier and drilled a hole in the cap to run the wires out to a battery carrier. If I can find a good 4xAA carrier to replace this 8xAA one, I'll attach it to the back of the strap. Next I'm going to try a rheostat to control the brightness. I've searched but can't find any info.. would a 25 ohm 3W rheostat work?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062299&cp=2032058.2032230.2032275&pg=2&parentPage=family

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
bit late and a bit more money, but a Stenlight can use a 6AA pack.....has 2 VERY regulated 3W luxeons.....

Played with one at PhotonFest, was very impressed.........I'm currently planning a bank robbery to finance one....

dragoman

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't have a problem finding 1W Lux headlamps with AAs, but the selection is small. I got a Pelican 2630 HeadsUp light (about $41.95USD at Battery Station) which uses 3xAA in a rear box, has multiple levels and a battery level indicator. Uses a 1W side emitter, not a great beam.

And I got a Black Diamond Xenix IQ ($47.95USD at REI) less 20% members sale, which uses 2xAA and a 1W low dome Lux with NX05 optic and 2x5mm white LEDs. Multiple levels, battery level LED.

Neither is extremely waterproof.

I decided not to have the cost, size and weight of the PrincetonTec Apex (4xAA) although they are highly recommended.

Latest posts