Is there a way to wake up a dead Pila

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running Pilas in several flashlights for a while now. Recently, on separate occasions and with different flashlights, I went to use a light that worked fine the last time that I used it. When it wouldn't turn on, I figured the batteries had shut down from undervoltage so I stuck them in the charger.

When I stuck the first battery in the charger, the light stayed green. The other battery charged normally. I measured the voltqge on the first battery and it read 0.0v. I can't figure what would make it go dead just sitting in the flashlight for a few days.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know what might be going on, or know a way to reserect the battery. I've had this happen on two Pilas in different flashlights, and it's starting to get expensive.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
I have been running Pilas in several flashlights for a while now. Recently, on separate occasions and with different flashlights, I went to use a light that worked fine the last time that I used it. When it wouldn't turn on, I figured the batteries had shut down from undervoltage so I stuck them in the charger.

When I stuck the first battery in the charger, the light stayed green. The other battery charged normally. I measured the voltqge on the first battery and it read 0.0v. I can't figure what would make it go dead just sitting in the flashlight for a few days.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know what might be going on, or know a way to reserect the battery. I've had this happen on two Pilas in different flashlights, and it's starting to get expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
They read zero when the low voltage cutoff is reached but sometimes if you just let them sit a bit, they'll read some voltage. I don't always check the voltage but just put them in the charger but I'm using a Triton not a Pila charger. Seems like your saying that it stays at zero and this isn't the first time, correct?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
Seems like your saying that it stays at zero and this isn't the first time, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
Seems like your saying that it stays at zero and this isn't the first time, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you let your cells shut off by themselves while in your flashlights? Sometimes they might not even turn ON! I've had that happen as opposed to having them shut OFF while in use.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
Do you let your cells shut off by themselves while in your flashlights? Sometimes they might not even turn ON! I've had that happen as opposed to having them shut OFF while in use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I used the flashlight 10 - 15 min on fresh charge. I turned it off. Several days later I go to use it and one of the Pilas has zero volts. The other pila(s) are fine.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I used the flashlight 10 - 15 min on fresh charge. I turned it off. Several days later I go to use it and one of the Pilas has zero volts. The other pila(s) are fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your others that are fine, how do you normally use them? Do you charge them once a week or do you wait till the light stops working which means that the Pila has hit it's low voltage cutoff(LVC) point.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
Do you charge them once a week or do you wait till the light stops working which means that the Pila has hit it's low voltage cutoff(LVC) point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always try to charge them before they reach the low voltage cutoff. I've only reached the LVC once, and those batteries are fine.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
[ QUOTE ]
wptski said:
Do you charge them once a week or do you wait till the light stops working which means that the Pila has hit it's low voltage cutoff(LVC) point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always try to charge them before they reach the low voltage cutoff. I've only reached the LVC once, and those batteries are fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your better off not letting the Pila go to LVC. Unless you know somebody with another type of charger that'll do Li-Ions? If you got them from J.S. Burly, you should contact him about your problem.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

It sounds like the protection circuit will not reset.

If you put it in the charger and it will not charge, there is little you can do.

Tom

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SilverFox said:
Hello Jim,

It sounds like the protection circuit will not reset.

If you put it in the charger and it will not charge, there is little you can do.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]
Tom:

Yep! Doesn't sound good!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be there Jon. Looking forward to seeing you again. I'll bring the dead Pillas.

I've never met a real chick magnet before. Had I known, I would have shown you more respect at Cambria. Don't let that Oakie chick back out - she's part of the family now.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you seem to have done a great job of winning them over, or you wouldn't be bringing them. I suspect maybe you blew a little magic smoke up their skirts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two of jons protected 123 cells that have suddenly come up dead yesterday but I haven't had the chance to check them out yet.
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif