Is there an "Upgrade" to the H1R2's?

Dyluck

Newly Enlightened
Hey Hey

Been lurking here for a few years. You guys have always been a great resource. The information on here has helped my see SOOO much better at night.But! With that said I am in need of a clarification.

I have a 2012 Abarth. Comes with a pojo housing with the, what I call H1N1(H1R2 in reality) bulbs. I've been reading up on here and from what I gather, albeit I'm sure incorrect, is that the H1R2's will out perform the "equal" 9012 bulbs when you replace them with either a NiteHawk or Xtra Vision bulb(Although I'm not sure if either offers a 9012). I was blown away when I swapped from 1 year old standard Slyvania's to the Nitehawks in the past. So naturally I am looking to get the most out of my headlights.

To be honest between the projo housing and the H1R2's I do have a really good beam pattern, it's more or less that I feel like it, and based off the huge difference the upgrade has made in the past, I could be illuminating the ground in front of me better. It just seams like it's a bit faint compared to the output of street lights.

My voltage drop test showed a .25 drop in Voltage, this is with my DMM having a natural .3 Ohms of resistance, so I'm not concerned about that particular piece of the puzzle.

Anywhosen I'm simply looking for an upgrade, if such a thing exists. I would love to get either the Xtra Vision or the Nitehawks again. Reading up on here it seams the the Phillips have a slight edge.

One final note, I know that my head lights shine slightly upwards, and I'll be addressing that soon. So that could be my issue with the faintish lighting on the ground.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
9012 and HIR2 are two designations for the same bulb. The only legitimate 9012/HIR2 bulb on the market presently is from Philips, and it is a very good quality bulb. There is no legitimate upgrade from it.

Dyluck

Newly Enlightened
Awesome thanks!

I'll have to invest in re-aiming the headlights then, as I'm sure there isn't a significant advantage to replaceing the OEM's with Phillips. Of course assuming that they run Osrvania(Osram/Slyvania) bulbs like the Fogs.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm sure there isn't a significant advantage to replaceing the OEM's with Phillips.

No matter WHAT headlamps a car has, or what bulb they use, it seems like nobody's ever satisfied with them :)

Making sure they're aimed properly, even on a brand new car, is always a good place to start.

Of course assuming that they run Osrvania(Osram/Slyvania) bulbs like the Fogs.

The fog lamps in your vehicle use the H11; the best H11 is the Philips X-Treme Vision. I wouldn't worry about "upgrading" the fog lamp bulbs any time soon-- factory fog lamps are often just toys; properly designed and aimed low beam headlamps render them all but unnecessary.

If you MUST have a fog lamp, get a rear fog lamp. It'll keep the person with the front fog lamps from rear-ending you in the fog.

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
If you MUST have a fog lamp, get a rear fog lamp. It'll keep the person with the front fog lamps from rear-ending you in the fog.

How many people really use fog lamps for fog? Most drivers seem to use them as an extra source of light at night since most headlamps are so poor.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many people really use fog lamps for fog? Most drivers seem to use them as an extra source of light at night since most headlamps are so poor.

Some do it because they think it "looks cool"; some do it thinking it improves upon their headlamps. Both are wrong, and are worsening their night-driving experience (and for others, due to the extra glare).

Fog lamps are neither auxiliary low beam headlamps nor auxiliary high beam headlamps. They are meant only for thick fog or extreme rain-- and in either of those conditions, at very low speeds.

See this and this for starters.