Is this about as good as it gets?

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying at least one of the Fenix L2D-CEs, I may buy one for each of my 3 kids. None of them have worthy lights and always go searching for mine. I hate that... they get left all over the place and not put back where they were before.

For the price and size, this little torch seems to be about the brightest thing I can find. I'm not real excited about spending $55 on each one, but it seems to be very well made and would be a great light for general home/camping use.

If you guys can recomend something cheaper, in the $25 - $30 range that seems a better fit, I would appreciate it.

I've been around here for a while and have some nice lights, but I never seem to know very much. Are there really LED lights out there, in any small size that exceed 150 lumens?

Thanks Guys!

Rob

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad option with the Fenix, except for the price in case they'd lose it. Most kids I know would barely be able to handle a MiniMag LED, much less a Fenix..

And I'm pretty certain there are small (albeit expensive) LEDs that will achieve 150 lumens. I'm not up on them all, but I bet somebody will be able to link to several right quick..

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
$26 Cree from DX doesn't take AA batteries. For the kids, I'd think AA cells would be a must.

Get them a $25 Minimag LED from the local Home Depot, Lowes, Target or Walmart. It'll be plenty good for what they need, and half the price of the Fenix.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great replies!

AAs are kind of a must. They are cheap and can be swapped easily. I wanted to stay away from the mag stuff, just very common if you know what I mean.

Do you think the Fenix is worth getting? I may order 1 of them just so I can mess with it.

My other option is I have two Scorpions and could get another one fairly cheap. Swap out the lamps and get some rechargables and it would be a good light for them. It would also thin my collection too, but the lamps, charger and batteries will push up the price to where it makes sense to start over from scratch.

Thanks again!

Rob

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a L1D-CE sent to my son. He`s 25. After showing it to his buddies at work...they were so impressed they ordered 3. Guess if my kids were younger...and if I was going to buy for three...does get a little pricey. Maybe contact your dealer...ask if you could get a discount on a purchase of 4?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meduza said:
Yes i think the fenix is worth getting if they is old enough to handle the UI...

Otherwise, i think this may be worth getting from DX, not 150 lumens but surely about 60-70 on one single AA and $20 pricetag.

I havnt tried one yet tough...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1370
Yeah, this is the exact light I was going to recommend too. Or, if you had to have a Fenix, you could post a WTB Fenix L1 for around $20 on BST.

crewcabrob

Newly Enlightened
Dang! that is a lot of light for fairly cheap. I went and looked, but they are sold out at this time. I even liked the center body section as I wanted to have thier names engraved on them. It looks like there is a nice flat surface for that.

Yeah, my kids are 12, 12 and 10 so they think personalization is cool! I may look at this light when it comes back in stock.

Thanks again!

Rob

DM51

Flashaholic
doc_felixander said:
all the modes might be too confusing for your kids, though....
Are you serious? That's the one aspect of flashlights they will be able to figure out far better and quicker than adults.

But what they will also do, and just as quickly, is drop them, lose them, swap them, break them ...

Get them something tough and cheap.

defusion

Enlightened
DM51 said:
Are you serious? That's the one aspect of flashlights they will be able to figure out far better and quicker than adults.

But what they will also do, and just as quickly, is drop them, lose them, swap them, break them ...

Get them something tough and cheap.

I totally agree, kids learn anything new super fast, but they are also careless (these two facts are related, as getting older means you get afraid of breaking new things if they are more complicated)

I don't know about how tough a fenix L2D-CE light is, haven't dropped mine nearly enough to be sure it's kid-proof. But it's thick enough aluminium, and leds don't break as normal light bulbs would. Electronics are very shock-proof aswell, they just don't like water (but with the O-rings in place, you don't have to worry about that). Only possible fragile part is the lens, and i the rear clickie feels delicate aswell, though i don't know for sure how long they should last. I do think you can get spares though.

Last edited:

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
When is Streamlight coming out with a propoly 4AA cree???

Apart from the yellow and black color combo which may not impress everyone this may be quite a light if they ever release it. Tough, durable, and relatively bright and one hell of a long runtime ... and that's just the Luxeon version.