is windows vista a big huge bug?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
thats why i like linux.there a lot better if ya ask me

It's one of the features that I like about Linux also. While it's harder to install and configure, and I really hate having to compile stuff from source code, once it's set up it just runs without whining or eating itself alive.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It's one of the features that I like about Linux also. While it's harder to install and configure, and I really hate having to compile stuff from source code, once it's set up it just runs without whining or eating itself alive.

Sounds like you're installing it old-school style. New distros can self-install in about 15 minutes using all the default settings and configs. 20 minutes if you need to dual boot with XP already on your computer...

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm goin' back to DOS - 3.3 maybe 5.0 - that and 1 meg (megs not gigs) of ram - maybe 4 megs if I want to load up a ton of TSR's. I'll bet I can run circles around any Vista machine - my word processor against yours, my spread sheet against yours :crackup:

Dawg

Enlightened
I run XP MCE 2005 and am happy with the performance. As ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Microsoft releases beta software and it will take at least a year to get it straight.

Got shafted on Win95, screwed on Win98, boned so bad with ME I removed it, fought XP. The definition of a fool is a person repeating the same act over and over expecting a different result.

I am with Raggie, SP2 and I'll think about it. Next computer is a laptop running OSX and Vista SP2 with boot camp. Yes, it will be a Macbook.
I never had a problem with 95, 98,98 2nd edition, or ME. I would still be using ME on one of my computers, but for asking my IT guy at work to change a hard drive that crapped out he thought he was doing me a favor and he loaded 2000 instead. I never ever had any problems with ME except a couple of blue screens in 5 years of use. I was so against XP when it came out, but I bought a box for the wife that came with it, and I never updated it. Not once, no service packs, nothing for 5 years. Never a crash or failure of any type. Just updated it last week. Took 10 trips to MS update and about 4 hours downloading.......It still works flawless. I will never own a machine with Vista till they trim the memory hogging. I see laptops for sale that have waaaay to little memory to run that OS and they should be shot for marketing them that way.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i do have problems installing programs on linux.thats one thing i hate.but i got ubuntu now to work with my mp3 player flash now works .everything works but my secity camera but ill probably just switch to a real camera that don't need a pc

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've dual booted windows (XP) and linux (Ubuntu) for several years: XP for games and linux for everything else.

I've never been a great fan of windows XP but with a bit of work it can be stripped back a bit and made to behave a little more linux-like in terms of resource usage, speed etc. To me it's still not as much fun to play around with as linux, you just never feel that you have as much control.

Personally I won't touch Vista with a 40 foot barge pole. An OS which needs such an incredible amount of computing power to do essentially the same as XP but with a bit more eye candy strikes me as a shining example of sloppy design.

Supernam

Enlightened
Honestly, if it weren't for MS's monopoly on all of the related software, I'm sure I'd have a Mac. Not as versatile, but definitely more reliable and efficient.

gorn

Enlightened
I have a small travel laptop that runs Vista. I didn't like it at all when I first got it. It appears that most of the "improvements" were eye candy. I have now gotten used to it and like it. I still like xp better.

The laptop came with 1gig of ram and it ran fine. Since I can't not screw with my computers I added an additional gig of ram. It runs Halo and World of Warcraft just fine. Those two games are real resource hogs.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
install compiz with screnlets on linux if ya like eye candy

Interesting how compiz doesn't require a core 2 duo and 4Gb ram to provide the eye candy...

Personally I use Xfce, which has things like drop shadows and border transparency built in, and like compiz doesn't require a supercomputer to pull it off.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I love this quote from that article (emphasis mine):
eliminate the need for users to buy a new computer just to use the faulty OS?

My bro's home network quit working once he threw Vista into the mix. Every Vista-"enabled" computer at my wife's company has been reverted to XP - they even paid extra for the additional XP licenses. Our IT guys won't even touch the stupid thing.

I'm quite happy with XP, but my next OS will be a Ubuntu box.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Given the number of screwups M$ has had with their OS's, it truly astounds me that they would have so screwed the pooch with Vista, and spending something like $4 Billion on development. It's like they operate totally inside of a "Redmund Bubble." These are not small, easily correctible issues that could not have been forseen either.

jezzyp

Enlightened
Took me 2 days to get my new laptop on vista basic to talk to my xp desktop!
The networking on vista is a nightmare.

My laptop was only available with vista but i'm seriously thinking of putting XP back onto it as its sloooooooow (even with dual core 2gb ram etc etc)

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slashdot article on this very subject. For me, I hate Vista for the many reasons stated above and won't be switching. With Leopard just a little ways away, I might just switch to a Mac.

P.S. At this point, it also appears Microsoft wants to end support of XP in late 2008...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Slashdot article on this very subject. For me, I hate Vista for the many reasons stated above and won't be switching. With Leopard just a little ways away, I might just switch to a Mac.

P.S. At this point, it also appears Microsoft wants to end support of XP in late 2008...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Gotta love people that can't be arsed to look back 4 posts.

da.gee

Enlightened
Vista really irks me. I do home network/pc consulting as part of my business and I have run into many individuals fresh from the local Best Buy with their shiny new Vista machines, usually laptops, that absolutely are painful to use. Not enough RAM coupled with generally slower hardware make for a big frickin' frustrating mess. I never recommend anyone get Vista. If asked I advise getting a Mac and dual boot if you have to get into Windows world. For what most people do (Internet, e-mail, word processing, digital pics and music, the Mac is simply a better bet. Vista is practically forcing one to look at other operating systems including IT managers and CIOs. For a few years there we were at the point in the computing world where the hardware had finally blown away software but Vista has turned back the clock.

P.S. I have a mixed Mac and Windows XP household. Can't remember the last time one of the Macs froze up. XP has been largely stable but has its moments!

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on being vista free period. After having too many tech issues with XP Pro interfacing with a stable Visual Basic program that ran on platforms from a 166 Mhz Pentium with WIndows 95 thru 30 some odd Win 98 boxes. Each install on XP is a different incremental upgrade bug in the API. After nine months of "try this" by the un-tech support at MS they admitted that the XP was broken and would not be fixed. Over on the VB forums, it is generally admitted that the old running VB apps have a 10-20% chance of running in Vista.

Fortunately my computer in my machine can run Linux and I am switching over to VB.net so I can port the code to Mono and be done with Windows all together.

I picked up a recent computer magazine for the articles on PDA's They had three flame-o-bomb commentaries on how much of a piece of pigware Vista is.

I have been using Linux at home now exclusively for three years and don't miss any of the commercial programs I used to run on WIndows. Open Office dot Org is as good or better than Office and is ISO certified. I even hacked my old first gen Ipod Photo to Linux so I can play OGG files.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with some of the Vista release candidates, and decided I would not be using Vista for quite sometime. Bloated comes to mind... as does the word dictatorship. I don't want an operating system that tells me what I'm allowed to play, or tries to do tings for me automatically. The operating system''s job is to allow me to use my hardware... in any way I choose.
I would like to think of myself as a Linux user, however I tend to spend more time on my windows installation due to games than I do on Ubuntu. I am slowly working my way out of my ignorance and hope to be windows free someday.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddies are split on Vista. Some have minimal issues while others have gone back to XP or gone to Mac's. I'm not about to consider it till SP2. XP is running fine on my boxes.