Is Zebralight planning on releasing any USB-C rechargeable lights anytime soon?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Thrunite H01cw in orange. It's small as it takes 16340 /RCR123 cells and also has USB-micro charging. Years ago when Thrunite was new they seemed they were a distant second to the innovation of Zebralight. I went to Zebralights page and it seems they most recent light they released was in 2019!!!! What happened to Zebralight and them being on the bleeding edge?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously though, what happened to them? I see random no name Chinese named headlamps on Amazon for example that have USB-C recharging capabilities.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I dont think they ever have released a light with in built charging. And I doubt they will. Doesnt really seem like a zebralight thing to do considering the lengths they went through to take away length from their 18650 lights in the past. They offer a pretty niche product, always been plenty of brands offering other feature sets while they focused on what they thought was more important, namely regulation and ui. The products still stand pretty well in these departments imo. Id like to see another 16340 size though. Litteraly an sc33 copy paste of the sc53 but with even better hi cri emiters. Still pissed I lost my sc32w. That thing was great.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
An updated sc80 would be great or a system like the streamlight 1l-1aa. Again with nice hi cri emiters.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
What other brands have a UBC-C charging circuit that can be recommended? 18650 size would be great. I see Armytek has in built charging but the older (in my mind obsolete) micro USB port.

overload001

Newly Enlightened
What other brands have a UBC-C charging circuit that can be recommended? 18650 size would be great. I see Armytek has in built charging but the older (in my mind obsolete) micro USB port.

Some USB-C charging headlamps that I own, but there are a lot more on the market...

18650:

Nitecore HC65v2, Fenix HM60R, Fenix HM65R,Wurkkos HD15,Jetbeam HR30,Acebeam H50, Acebeam H60

16340:

Sofirn HS10

21700:

Acebeam H30, Wurkkos HD20

The Sofirn HS10 is my favorite edc headlamp atm;)

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
you doht like magnetic charging??

it's the blast!

overload001

Newly Enlightened
The 2 magnetic charging armytek headlamps I've got charge very slowely , around 350mA max.
Dunno how fast the newer magnetic armyteks charge?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happened to Zebralight and them being on the bleeding edge?
i read dis on the www:

A few people contacted Zebralight in late 2020 when there was the usual annual speculation they were going out of business, because of lack of availability as well as the looming international shipping restrictions. They claimed they would finally be releasing one of the "budget" models that have been in their spreadsheet for the last few years, with some kind of ultra-efficient driver using SST-20. They also claimed the regular line-up would be receiving a refresh, starting with the headlamps in late 2021, adding built-in charging.

Obviously none of that happened, and in fact Zebralight has discontinued quite a few of the less popular model variants this year. They seemed to have some major manufacturing issues at the beginning of the year, and popular models like the SC64c LE were unavailable for 4-5 months, plus there was that whole screw-up with the CRI 70 LH351Ds they barely acknowledged. With the XHP35 end of life, the remaining inventory of their well-respected CRI 80 4500K XHP35 HIs were apparently reflowed to SC64w HI drivers in the summer, and it recently received two price increases from $79 to $88. They're also running out of LEDs like the hideous 90+ XP-L2 EasyWhites they originally used for the SC64c. Overall it seems like their main issue is just the general chip shortage exactly like they told Firelight2. I regularly work on several of their models, and many of the major components like MCUs, voltage converters, and MOSFETs I can identify have factory lead times over a year at major suppliers right now. I assume they're mostly just focusing on being able to manufacture existing designs with available inventory rather than deal with potential supply volatility when they need tens of thousands of units for new components.

I don't think they're "winding down". Almost every year there is speculation they're going out of business, but they keep chugging along. They have a fairly unique place in the market with their compact designs, and it's telling that even 4 years later a lot of their current line-up is highly recommended against newer competition. That also means they don't have much motivation to innovate or update, and they seem to be completely uninterested in increasing their production capacity to meet demand, but that's a separate issue…

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I don't mind the current charging but Zebra isn't as innovative to me anymore. Decade passed and still no headlamp where you can swap lenses between true flood and spot so you don't have to carry two separate lights. No headlamp with primary spot and secondary flood or color LED, which by now I don't expect will ever happen. They got too comfortable with their obsession with shrinking a model by a few millimeters.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still do not get what is the fascination with usb C, how is it better than micro usb in 9 out of 10 cases, Yes i know they go in either way, and they can carry more current, but pretty much every generic usb c cable i tried have too much resistance due to thin cheap wires. only few cables are capable of more than 1-1.5A. My xstar 8 bay charger charger uses usb C, it came with a cable, but it is short, so i tried several cables, it would not charge at more than 1500ma, as soon as i plugged oem cable, i had 3000ma charge current available.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I still do not get what is the fascination with usb C, how is it better than micro usb in 9 out of 10 cases, Yes i know they go in either way, and they can carry more current, but pretty much every generic usb c cable i tried have too much resistance due to thin cheap wires. only few cables are capable of more than 1-1.5A. My xstar 8 bay charger charger uses usb C, it came with a cable, but it is short, so i tried several cables, it would not charge at more than 1500ma, as soon as i plugged oem cable, i had 3000ma charge current available.

I guess you've never had the plug physically wear out or break. USB-C is better at every single level and since I've gotten rid of most of my mini/micro USB devices, I'd never purchase another.

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you've never had the plug physically wear out or break. USB-C is better at every single level and since I've gotten rid of most of my mini/micro USB devices, I'd never purchase another.
I only have 1 flashlight so far that uses USB-C, I hope the iPhone will make that change at some point, as I've also installed outlets that support both USB-C and USB-A just in case for now as I get tired of having to have those power bricks everywhere. Really digging 1 cord to power everything. Makes packing a lot easier as long as you pack the USB-C that can handle powering a laptop.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you've never had the plug physically wear out or break.
I do vaguely remember 1 lose micro usb, out of hundreds i've used. but i never had one brake, or wear out yet. i had more issues with i phone plug than micro usb,

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer Alpg88: the problem I have with micro USB is the plug design and orientation is hard to see in low light, so I basically need a headlamp shining right over the USB port to see the shape of the opening and even when it is correctly oriented, the plug didn't just plug in you have to fiddle with it ever so slightly. Problem with that is eventually the USB port will loosen and be toast.