Isn't this cute:

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
Re: Isn\'t this cute:

I purchased one of these based on the positive comments in this thread and I must say that I'm pretty impressed by this little light. It's small, inexpensive, uses aa's, and the overall light output blows away my Nuwai 0.5 Watt 2aaa. In fact, I am so smitten by this gem that it has replaced the 2aaa Nuwai as my EDC. Despite chevrofreak's comment about the head being to big for comfortable pocket carry, I find that it easily slips into the left rear pocket of my jeans. In this carry mode it is surprisingly unobtrusive, even while sitting down. The build quality is actually quite good for a low dollar Chinese light. Fit and finish are above average and the applied finish (anodizing?) is very handsome. I wasn't expecting much from the bare-bones twisty switch but with a little practice, I've found that it can be easily manipulated with one hand. The threads on the tailcap are also loose enough that the light can be operated as a momentary push switch when the tailcap is backed out about 1/4 turn from the "on" position. The beam profile is definitely spill-biased. Despite the impressive amount of light that comes out of this little light, this is definitely not the light to reach for when you want lots of throw. In this respect, the light is the complete antithesis of the Inova X1 in the 1xAA form factor.

For those interested in the mod-potential of this light, the entire head assembly on my example can be twisted off. However, I see no retaining ring or other obvious means of gaining access to the light's "guts". I suspect that the entire board / LED array is press fit into the head a la Inova X5/X1.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Kryosphinx said:
Linerlock,
Do you think the "freeze and pop" method would work for this too (like an X5 or X1?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Kryosphinx,

It's difficult to say if this light would be a good candidate for the "freeze & pop" disassembly method that has proven so effective with certain Inova products. It certainly seems like it may work. My only concern is that the "sloppy" threads that make the momentary switch action possible will "give" before the press-fit head assembly does. At about $9 shipped, I suppose it's worth a shot. Since I only have one, I won't be attempting it with mine.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know of a source for the 2xaa version of this light?

wei

Newly Enlightened

there are many kinds of these LED lights here, in China, works with 3AAA, 2AA, 2CR123A etc. there is no regulation circuit inside the light, some of them are good made, some not. $5 is a very good price, the same like here.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine today. To answer my own question, it's drawing 230ma from the battery. That means it's only driving each LED at about 6ma. This thing would be ridiculously bright if someone figures out how to crack it open and replace the LEDs with brighter ones and drive them at higher currents...

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anybody try a CR2 battery in one of these? There seems to be a little extra room around the AA. A CR2 with a spacer would double the output...

Turbo_E

Enlightened

just a note: beware as all north american AA batteries may not fit in these eBay lights as NA ones seem a tad too long

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Turbo_E said:
just a note: beware as all north american AA batteries may not fit in these eBay lights as NA ones seem a tad too long

[/ QUOTE ]

The spring in this light is pretty long...looks to me like a battery even 1/4" longer than a normal AA would fit. I've tried Energizer and Duracell batteries already, they fit with plenty of room on all sides.