ITP SA1, SA2, SC1, SC2 Round-Up Review (XP-E R2): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the hard work here selfbuilt.

It is quite incredible that the SA2 compares in brightness and has a longer running time than the Quark 2AA. I wonder how those graphs would look now the Quark 2AA uses an R5 emitter. What would your thoughts be?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It is quite incredible that the SA2 compares in brightness and has a longer running time than the Quark 2AA. I wonder how those graphs would look now the Quark 2AA uses an R5 emitter. What would your thoughts be?
Hard to say without directly testing the new Quark lights. If drive currents remain un-altered, then I expect output levels will have gone up slightly with the R5s (otherwise, runtime could have increased further). But since Vf typically has the greatest effect on runtime (which is not reported), hard to know how they would compare exactly. I'm sure new Quarks perform quite well ...

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
How would you compare the overall build quality to the C-series, say SA1 vs. C7? I feel like the C7 is a little tank of a light, and was surprised for the price.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How would you compare the overall build quality to the C-series, say SA1 vs. C7? I feel like the C7 is a little tank of a light, and was surprised for the price.
The new SA/SC lights are still very solid ("tank-like" ;)). Not sure about longevity - they are a little more complicated with the double switch design. Hard to say more - they are quite different lights.

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Fenix was on to something with the TK-series naming :). Incidentally, my first serious torch was a TK11, and I tend to use it as my build quality reference point.

Thanks for the impressions! I think I see an SA1 in my future.

pounder

Newly Enlightened
awesome review! I ordered an sa1 a couple of days ago with 6 14500 batteries..was going to get the sa2 but your tests showed that the sa1 is just as bright with a 14500 battery in a smaller package..I love aa/14500 lights because of the option to run aa's in power outage situations..aa's are everywhere and very cheap..thanks for the good work selfbuilt!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: ITP SA1 , SA2 , SC1 , SC2 Round-Up Review ( XP-E R2 ): RUNTIMES , BEAMSHOTS and more !
Written by DEERSLAYER on 01-10-2011 02:48 PM GMT

Apparently my problem is a misinterpretation of the ^ symbol. What action does it represent? This noob is still not coming out with the right answer.

Re: ITP SA1 , SA2 , SC1 , SC2 Round-Up Review ( XP-E R2 ): RUNTIMES , BEAMSHOTS and more !
Written by selfbuilt on 01-10-2011 04:32 PM GMT

DEERSLAYER said:
Apparently my problem is a misinterpretation of the ^ symbol. What action does it represent? This noob is still not coming out with the right answer.
It's the power symbol. So, 86^1.48 means 86 raised to the power of 1.48. It's the power symbol. So, 86^1.48 means 86 raised to the power of 1.48.

If you don't have a scientific calculator with exponents, you can just pop the whole equation into your google search bar - it will return the right result.

Written by DEERSLAYER on 01-10-2011 07:44 PM GMT

selfbuilt said:
It's the power symbol. So, 86^1.48 means 86 raised to the power of 1.48.

If you don't have a scientific calculator with exponents, you can just pop the whole equation into your google search bar - it will return the right result.
Now I remember that symbol. It's amazing what Google can do. Didn't need to dig up the scientific calculator. It worked out perfectly. Thanks again selfbuilt! Now I remember that symbol. It's amazing what Google can do. Didn't need to dig up the scientific calculator. It worked out perfectly. Thanks again selfbuilt!
Written by popedandy on 01-20-2011 09:05 PM GMT

Thanks for the thoroughreview. I'm very new to flashlights and had been looking for reasonably simple flashlights for general use by my family when the power goes out or on the rare occasions when we go camping. Based on this review and some other posts I settled on the SA2. It will be a significant step up from what they have been using, but was inexpensive enough that I could buy one for each family member. The lights should be here in a couple of days and I'm looking forward to seeing their reactions.

Written by selfbuilt on 01-21-2011 07:22 AM GMT

popedandy said:
Thanks for the thorough review. I'm very new to flashlights and had been looking for reasonably simple flashlights for general use by my family when the power goes out or on the rare occasions when we go camping. Based on this review and some other posts I settled on the SA2. It will be a significant step up from what they have been using, but was inexpensive enough that I could buy one for each family member. The lights should be here in a couple of days and I'm looking forward to seeing their reactions.
:welcome: Although not the latest and greatest release in the flashlight world, the SA/SC family represents good value for the money. The SA2 fits into the "sweet-spot" for general use in my opinion (i.e. the form factor is very familiar to the general user, with a good trade-off in size, output, runtime and battery availability). It's a good light to introduce non-flashaholics to world of LED lights. I am sure they will be amazed at the brightness and range of features.

For those looking for something a bit higher quality with a similar interface, there is also the Klarus series of lights to consider. But the low price and decent quality of the SA/SC series is compelling.

Written by DrJekyll on 02-14-2011 05:06 PM GMT

Just got myiTP SC2 R5 in today. I know this is a budget light, but this is my first step above incandescent mag lites and multi led stocking stuffer flashlights, so needless to say I am impressed. I really appreciate the information given in this review and throughout the forum in helping me make my decision on this purchase.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you remove the supplied tail cap boot for replacement with the one that allows tail standing?

Thanks in advance.

Written by selfbuilt on 02-18-2011 11:51 AM GMT

DrJekyll said:
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you remove the supplied tail cap boot for replacement with the one that allows tail standing?
:welcome:

You need to unscrew the switch retaining ring, located on the inside part of the tailcap. You will see two indentations in this ring. You need to use snap-ring pliers (or really fine needle-nose pliers, or very sturdy tweezers) to loosen and remove this ring. The switch and boot cover will then fall out of the light - replace the boot cover, and re-assemble and tighten the retaining ring again.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The thread discussions for the last few months have been partially restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!). I was able to capture original p.2 cache data, but couldn't find the missing posts from the end of p.1. If anyone has a copy, let me know.

Please carry on! :)

Unfortunately, I could only track down search engine cache data up to the bottom of p.7 (i.e. Dec 16, 2010). Anything posted after that has been lost. If you happen to have cache data after that, please let me know and I will re-post.

AIC

Newly Enlightened
Why do companies ruin a good design with a memory function!!!!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It should. But at the time these lights came out, the ANSI FL-1 standard had only recently been developed, and was not in common use. As such, there was no reported impact resistance for these lights. But I would expect them to do as well as any other light (i.e. 1m drop isn't that stringent).

And :welcome:

MacNCheese

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much! Didn't really expect a reply after 2 years since the last post. I'm planning to buy the SA2 as my first light and your very comprehensive review has enlightened me very much. I plan to buy this because it's cheaper yet has as good as something more expensive (such as the Fenix LD22), and I hope it'll be sufficient for general use.

Latest posts