Jeers to people who don't control their dogs!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is the exact trap I'm using;

610b.jpg

...the dogs have been staying away, and it's been much quieter barking-wise lately.. I wonder if many dogs are still there..and how long will AC let me keep the trap? When I didn't catch a dog they wanted it back after 1 week, when I caught one, they said I could keep it another week.
well that week is up.
if they want it back, I'll try to buy one from them used/broken cheap...
if not, I'll have to get/build another somehow because I'm fairly certain the neighbors won't control their dogs unless they both are under that constant threat..

I haven't re-baited the trap in days, I'll do that next..

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just fashion some device out of chicken wire the neighbors might 'think' it is a cage. Make a funny sign that says 'dog cage' incase they don't get it.

Or just buy a used dog cage, it doesn't have to be a trap to scare the neighbors, just think that it is.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol. I thought of that... how about a little fake "doggie guillotine" ??

It would be easy to mock up; a couple of uprights, a painted blade, dish of food under the head hole.. a little springboard device to trigger it.. a basket to catch the head... ho ho ho

think it would upset the neighbors? :crackup:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a source for that? Those pics came from a story posted on some sort of a news site, the "Tombstone Tumbleweed." Pics might have been photoshopped or misleadingly posed - I have no idea if they are authentic.

Here's a Snopes page about it. The pictures are real, but the cat was already dead when the mule bagan playing with it.

DM51

Flashaholic
this is the exact trap I'm using;

610b.jpg

...the dogs have been staying away, and it's been much quieter barking-wise lately.. I wonder if many dogs are still there..and how long will AC let me keep the trap? When I didn't catch a dog they wanted it back after 1 week, when I caught one, they said I could keep it another week.
well that week is up.
if they want it back, I'll try to buy one from them used/broken cheap...
if not, I'll have to get/build another somehow because I'm fairly certain the neighbors won't control their dogs unless they both are under that constant threat..

I haven't re-baited the trap in days, I'll do that next..
Keeping it baited is important, otherwise there's no reason for a dog to go into it.

If Animal Control take it away, you could probably make one quite easily - that sort of trap isn't very complicated.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to make your own trap, you might do it while the animal control one is still there, for use as a pattern or guide.

:buddies:

DM51

Flashaholic
Lol you could make it out of an abandoned supermarket trolley - most of them look quite like that anyway, and I've seen more than 1 dumb mother in a panic with her baby stuck in one of those fold-down seats, so they're pretty similar lol.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh yeah I know it has to be baited -- it is, it's just old and dried out -- still plenty appetizing to dogs..but why not make it really irresistable with a little fresh added..?-- so anyway I went down to the trap and waddaya know the food that I thought would be still stuck like cement to the trip-paddle was scraped off, I could see the scratch marks of the utensil that was used to scrape it off..
what I'm gonna do is point my motion alert detector at the trap..if anyone or thing comes near it it'll alert -- and I'll have the cylops ready..

my brother suggested setting the fake doggie guillotine up near the property entrance with an added feature; a realistic replica of the neighbor's dog's head in the bloody basket...

isn't he too much? ya think?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting story Ted, you should make another thread.

WhatMACHI

Newly Enlightened
Lol, they have the nerve to reduce their uncontrolled dogs to thread by going onto YOUR property and doing that.

It'll be a laugh when the motion detector catches them red handed. Why dont they just learn and control their damn dogs.

Valolammas

Enlightened
I have a distant relative, who used to have a rottweiler, that was a real obedience champion. This guy was single back then, and took real pride in training that dog. Then that dog passed away, the guy got married, had a kid, started his own company... and got another rottweiler. As you can guess, it turned out that he somehow didn't have as much time to train it. That dog was in control, when he was around, but when he wasn't... holy #¤& that dog was scary! Those rottweilers are HUGE! Luckily they got rid of it before anything bad happened.

I mean, this guy knew how to train a dog properly, he just didn't have the time to do it right. It's not always just because of laziness or lack of brains.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a deputy sheriff assigned to civil process. Part of my duties include posting legal notices on properties for evictions. A couple of summers ago I get an eviction notice to serve on a trailer house that had recently been the subject of a search warrant for narcotics. When I got to the residence I had a city cop with me to assist due to the previous history at the home. We got out of our vehicles and my attention was suddenly drawn to a Pit Bull/Mastiff mixed breed dog. It was secured to a small log chain, but I still stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it. "Fluffy" got up from the step near the door of the trailer and without growling or barking he was on me very quickly. The log chain was so long that it allowed him quite a bit of travel room as I wasn't even on the lot for that trailer yet. I was actually still on the sidewalk of the trailer park community. Unfortunately for "Fluffy" he died very suddenly and unexpectedly due to lead poisoning from my Glock Model 22 .40 S&W caliber pistol. Ironically. my left hand is still bleeding onto the sidewalk when a neighbor stops by and chastises me. I couldn't even answer her for fear that whatever I would have said probably would not have been pleasant. If there is any lesson to be learned here, I guess it is to not have a false sense of security even if you see the dog chained up. In retrospect, I did everything that I was supposed to do before going to the residence, including getting the assistance of a local officer. I guess the bottom line is sometimes when people don't control their dogs bad things can happen to the dog, the dog's owner, or others. Please keep in mind that when I say this I am not bragging, because I a, too, am a dog lover and dog owner. But despite that, given a similar set of circumstances, I would take the same action again.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've had it with the neighors dogs crapping all over my property.
In the past I hired a lawyer, involved animal control and the police, even the DA called the pound and told them to 'do their jobs..'
The people left the property, and left the dogs behind, animal control eventually was convinced to come and get them..
after a couple years of the place being vacant, a new group of people moved in, about a year and half ago, with no dogs. then it wa 2 dogs. then it was 4..now it's 12, all continuing to bark half the day, invade my property and defecate everywhere..animal control does nothing, the police do nothing..
I'm getting a large trap and will start disappearing the dogs..I'll bring them to the pound. What ever happens after that; too d bad..I've had it with them.

As a dog owner/lover that made me laugh. While I pick up after my own dog (use baggies), we have tons of Seagulls & Canadian Geese that seem to overstay their welcome. Those two birds alone produce 10 times the amount of crap as an average dog, but you never see anyone "go ballistic" except over dog poop. I get a kick out of it....especially thinking that someone would go to the extent of paying some attorney many hundreds/thousands of dollars to get involved.

I think if people feel that strongly, they should put up a fence. It would be a lot cheaper and resolve the rage.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I have a distant relative, who used to have a rottweiler, that was a real obedience champion. This guy was single back then, and took real pride in training that dog. Then that dog passed away, the guy got married, had a kid, started his own company... and got another rottweiler. As you can guess, it turned out that he somehow didn't have as much time to train it. That dog was in control, when he was around, but when he wasn't... holy #¤& that dog was scary! Those rottweilers are HUGE! Luckily they got rid of it before anything bad happened.

I mean, this guy knew how to train a dog properly, he just didn't have the time to do it right. It's not always just because of laziness or lack of brains.

All I have to say is "Tsssst."

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
lux, I'm glad you get a laugh out of it. a fence you say? not an option since I live on 10 acres and they have 200..the money I spent on the lawyer I feel was worth it, if only for the year and half of blissful tranquil quiet in the canyon..
it also bought me a little more consideration from the authorities, I believe..

as for why people get more upset over dog poop than bird poop I think the amswer is fairly obvious once you step in some dog poop and drag it into your house and car with your cleated boots..

I know you meant well and compassion probably motivated your suggestion, but if that is not the case I will console myself with images of you gettting bombarded with buckets of 'gull yogurt' -- hehe.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a Snopes page about it. The pictures are real, but the cat was already dead when the mule bagan playing with it.

Thanks for the pointer, LukeA.

I'm not sure about Snope's conclusion that "A lion is a powerful and lethal predator and can easily kill a mule..."

I've read that some mountain lions won't attempt to kill deer above a certain size, because instinct tells them that a kill is uncertain and that they may be injured during the attack.

Adult mules are typically heavier and stronger than adult deer.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about Snope's conclusion that "A lion is a powerful and lethal predator and can easily kill a mule..."

I've read that some mountain lions won't attempt to kill deer above a certain size, because instinct tells them that a kill is uncertain and that they may be injured during the attack.

Adult mules are typically heavier and stronger than adult deer.

Yeah. Just look at the size difference between the mule's neck and the cat's mouth. That mule would win in a fight, and the mountain lion would know enough keep its distance.

DM51

Flashaholic
African big cats, including lions (which are a lot bigger and stronger than cougars) avoid zebras as prey unless they have no alternative. The zebra's defensive weapon is a very effective kick, which can break a lion's ribs, jaw or skull. There are numerous documented cases of lions dying of starvation because their jaws had been broken by zebras.