JETbeam JET-1 MK IBS Comparison Review - UPDATE full Production model

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a pre-production JETbeam JET-1 MkII IBS on loan from BugOutGear_USA -
who also very kindly supplied a JETbeam MkII-R for comparison.

Please see these threads for details -

** 2008 JETBeam Models **

Introduction to JETBeam's innovative UI I.B.S. driver circuit and related new models!

Size -
JETbeamMkII_IBSsz.jpg
JETbeamMkII_IBSszC.jpg

Head -
JETbeamMkII_IBShd.jpg
JETbeamMkII_IBShdC.jpg

The specs say the JETbeam MKII IBS uses a Cree XR-E Q5 bin and achieves 225 lumens - that is really bright!

Of course this is on 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 -
BUT the JETbeam MkII IBS is designed to run on 14500 - so retains all of its functionality.....

225 lumens for a single AA flashlight - that is pretty serious brightness....

vs. JETbeam MkII-R both on 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 and Max brightness level -
JETMkIIibsHiLi_MkIIR.jpg
JETMkIIibsHiLi_MkIIR2U.jpg

The MkII-R is not as bright - it is using a Q4 vs. the Q5 of the MkII-IBS.
Notice the difference in beams - the MkII-R has pretty obvious Cree dark-halo - the MkII-IBS seems to have reduced that - but also seems to have gained a bright ring in the side-spill.

vs. Fenix L1D-Q5 both on 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 and Max brightness level -
JETMkIIibsHiLi_L1Dq5Li.jpg
JETMkIIibsHiLi_L1Dq5Li2U.jpg

pretty close - perhaps the JETbeam MkII-IBS just has it.
But again notice the difference in beams - the JETbeam's LED protudes its silver colored surround into the reflector whereas the Fenix has that just behind the reflector - the Fenix still has a hint of the dark-halo - but overall its beam is smoother - however although the Fenix will run on a 14500 - it really wasn't designed to do so, as all the other levels are at high.

225 lumens - well I know a couple of flashlights that claim that -

vs. Fenix T1 on primary CR123s - both on max brightness
JETMkIIibsHiLi_T1.jpg
JETMkIIibsHiLi_T1U2.jpg

call it a tie?
But that is impressive for a single AA light......

OK what about the IBS? It stands for Infinite Brightness Setting - but the flashlight has only 3 modes accessed by tapping th reverse clicky tail-switch - huh?

The modes are A, B and C - and each mode can be set with any brightness level or special function (like SOS or strobe) - for these tests I set them to be Max, medium and lowest brightness levels.

To set/program - select the mode - then tap the switch 3 times quickly (it's not that easy - and often I could not get the light to go into programming mode - but there is no harm done - keep trying until the light enters programming) the programming is easily seen as the light will continuously brighten from Min to Max - to select the brightness level switch off the light and wait at least 2 secs before turning the light back on and that mode is set to the level the light was switched off at. The light flickers 3 times ar Max, twice at Medium and once at the lowest level - that's how I identified the Max and Min levels.

To select/set a special fuction is a bit easier - once in the brightness level programming - tap the switch once and the light enters the special functions programming this is mainly strobe and SOS modes including a stand-by low blink every 8 seconds mode.

Next up performance on NiMH battery.

EDIT to ADD -

Index to follow-up parts -

NiMH performance comparison - Post #3
Current draw and GUESStimate of runtimes - Post #7
Stairway beamshot - Post #12
Minimum Low comparisons in Posts #17 & #18
UPDATE full-production model compared in Post #29

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JETbeam MkII IBS Comparison Review

Thanks, that's bright enough for me!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JETbeam JET-1 MkII IBS Comparison Review

Comparisons using NiMH batteries (this Jet-1 MkII-IBS is spec'd at 130 lumenson max) -

vs. Jet-1 MkII-R
JETMkIIibs_MkIIR.jpg
JETMkIIibs_MkIIR2U.jpg

this set kind of looks similar to the set using 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 - so the ratio of relative brightness stays about the same.

vs. Fenix L1D-Q5 (spec'd at 120 lumens)
JETMkIIibs_L1Dq5.jpg
JETMkIIibs_L1Dq5U2.jpg

close again - and again I think the JETbeam just has it - once again this set of comparison beamshots look similar to the ones using 3.7v Li-Ion 14500 - ie: the ratio of relative brightness looks about the same.

vs. Dorcy K2 3x AAA (spec'd at 120 lumens)
JETMkIIibs_DorcyK2.jpg
JETMkIIibs_DorcyK2U2.jpg

the JETbeam looks brighter - but the Dorcy has a very concentrated and bright hotspot, and much warmer tint.

I'm a bit surprised that the 10 lumens spec'd difference can be that easily seen - so perhaps this sample of the pre-production Jet-1 MkII-IBS might be giving out just a bit more than spec? (that's not a complaint....:p :eek: )

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice Review Vincent :thumbsup: . it's Impressively bright on single 14500.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened

how about vs p3dq5?

psyrens

Newly Enlightened

UnknownVT, Thanks for the nice review, as always,
How about the runtime?
Does it still have efficiency problem at lower settings?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about the runtime?
Does it still have efficiency problem at lower settings?

I don't have the necessary equipment to do meaningful runtimes.

However these are the current draw readings at the tailcap with GUESStimates of runtimes.

3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 - 3.84V o-c
Hi/Max 1.80A; Lo/Min 0.01A (on 10A scale) 12.9mA (on 200mA scale)
GUESStimate runtimes: Hi/Max ~20min; Lo/Min ~45- hrs

NiMH (Kodak Pre-Charged) - 1.312V o-c
Hi/Max 2.21A; Lo/Min 0.06A (on 10A scale) 86mA (on 200mA scale)
GUESStimate runtimes: Hi/Max ~55min; Lo/Min ~24-35hrs.

The specs are:

Rechargeable lithium Battery
Max output: 225 lumen, lasting for half an hour;
Minimum Output: 2 lumen, lasting for 50 hours

AA battery
Max Output: 130 Lumen, lasting for one hour;
Minimum Output: 2 Lumen, lasting for 45 hours

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened

hi... stairway shots vs the P3D q5 pls?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Is the emitter less 'through' the reflector in the I.B.S.?

If so,..this will give you brighter spill, but slightly less center Lux and throw.

JETbeamMkII_IBShdC.jpg

Tubor

Enlightened

Nice birghtness on 14500! Any chance of a NiMh/14500 brightness comparison with a Nitecore DI?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the emitter less 'through' the reflector in the I.B.S.?
If so,..this will give you brighter spill, but slightly less center Lux and throw.

Yes both JETbeams are through the reflector - you may have missed this in my opening post/review -

But again notice the difference in beams - the JETbeam's LED protudes its silver colored surround into the reflector whereas the Fenix has that just behind the reflector

The closest light I could compare to was the Fenix L1D-Q5 - although they may not be the same brightness, the Fenix (behind the reflector) did not seem to give a more concentrated hotspot.
Of course the comparison with the 225 lumens Fenix T1 is harder since it has a much larger reflector.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened

thanks!!! looks like the p3d has more throw! will be getting the jet-II then.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

thanks!!! looks like the p3d has more throw! will be getting the jet-II then.
Thanks for the stairwell pics Vincent (and all the comparison beamshots, very useful as always!). :)

I will have to try to take some distance pics as well, but my subjective impression is that the throw of my MKII IBS is as good as my P3DQ5 (my P3D has the textured reflector, and has a brighter spill with less focussed hotspot than the IBS).

Also, I wonder if my MKII IBS isn't brighter than yours. :thinking: Although hard to see in the beamshots, my subjective impression is that my IBS is clearly brighter than my L1D Q5. Quantitatively, both my lightbox and ceiling bounce test confirm at a 30% greater output of the IBS max compared to my L1D (both on 14500).

Full output and runtime comparisons to the L1DQ5 (and NDI and Jet-I PRO) are available here:
JetBeam MKII IBS Review: Runtimes, Beamshots, Pics, & Ramps - UPDATED!

Thanks again for the pics! :wave:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, I wonder if my MKII IBS isn't brighter than yours. :thinking: Although hard to see in the beamshots, my subjective impression is that my IBS is clearly brighter than my L1D Q5. Quantitatively, both my lightbox and ceiling bounce test confirm at a 30% greater output of the IBS max compared to my L1D (both on 14500).

Many thanks for the comments.

That's the limitation of beamshots - even side-by-side direct comparisons - sometimes they are just hard to judge - and sometimes open to the interpretation/opinion of the viewer.

But generally if it is hard to see a difference, then it is probably fair to say there probably isn't that much difference for any real practical use.

However if we put the same two stairway beamshots from above - next to each other - then I think we can see that the JET-1 IBS is brighter than the Fenix L1D-Q5 both using 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500?
StairJET1ibsLi.jpg
StairL1Dq5Li.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

However if we put the same two stairway beamshots from above - next to each other - then I think we can see that the JET-1 IBS is brighter than the Fenix L1D-Q5 both using 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500?
StairJET1ibsLi.jpg
StairL1Dq5Li.jpg
Yes I agree, when you put them side-by-side like the that, the IBS definitely looks brighter than the L1D.

Of course, the other confound is the monitor/graphics card settings of the user. I regularly use a number of systems, and I know beamshots can look VERY different depending on your config. This is why I also always do multiple exposures - hopefully everyone can see something relevant that way.

That is also why I tend to trust my lightbox and ceiling bounce for overall output estimates. :) But it's great to see actual beamshots taken in the same location. Thanks again!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jet-1 MkII IBS on Low/Minimum -

using NiMH vs. Fenix L1D-Q5 NiMH Low
JETMkIIibsLo_L1Dq5lo.jpg
JETMkIIibsLo_L1Dq5lo2U.jpg

using 3.7V rechgargeable Li-Ion 14500 vs. Fenix L1D-Q5 NiMH Low
JETMkIIibsLoLi_L1Dq5lo.jpg
JETMkIIibsLoLi_L1Dq5lo2U.jpg

The Jet-1 MkII IBS's minimum low is indeed a very useful low - substantially lower than the low of the Fenix L1D-Q5.

I don't quite understand why the minimum low on NiMH and Li-Ion look about the same brightness - as the JETbeam's low is achieved by (very fast) PWM so should be a percentage of the max brightness - since max on Li-Ion is rated at 225 lumens and max on NiMH is rated at 130 lumens - there should be a ~73% difference in brightness yet compared to the Fenix L1D-Q5 Low on NiMH (only - so a constant - ie: the same brightness in both sets of beamshots) the levels of the JET-1 on Li-Ion or NiMH look about the same ......?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

The comparison of the JET1 MkII IBS on minimum Low with the Fenix L1D-Q5's Low was not very satisfactory - since the Fenix Low was quite a bit brighter than the minimum low of the JET-1 MkII IBS.

JET1 MkII IBS minimum Low vs. classic ArcAAA (circa ~2003) both on NiMH
JetMkIIibsLo_ArcAAA.jpg
JetMkIIibsLo_ArcAAA2U.jpg

This more like it as they are more comparable....

Jet1 MkII IBS minimum Low using 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ion 14500 vs. Arc AAA NiMH -
JetMkIIibsLiLo_ArcAAA.jpg
JetMkIIibsLiLo_ArcAAA2U.jpg

These sets of beamshots with a more comparable level of a classic ArcAAA do confirm what I said above - that the minimum low on NiMH or 14500 Li-Ion are about the same

Last edited:

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

Anyone else having issues with their IBS? Mine exhibits a mode memory, even though the manual states it should have none. BOG says all the ones they've checked do the same thing and think the "no memory" statements are a misprint.

Also, I cannot program this thing with any degree of competence. I enter the brightness setting mode and turn the light off when the desired brightness is on. But when I turn it back on (even waiting for an hour or more) it has some strobe or signal assigned to it - even though I never entered the special functions menu.

In addition, I cannot get this light to reset no matter what I do.

Do I have a bad light or is this model just that crappy?

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I leave mine off for more that 5 sec. no memory, less the 5 and it comes on in the next mode from where I was.

I did have some trouble setting the modes. I just kept at it and got to where I wanted it.