JetBeam JET-I PRO (Cree R2) 1AA Review: Beamshots, Runtimes, and more!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I did notice that JetBeam changed the specs for this light immediately prior to shipping, so it is quite possible they hadn't detected the problem in time. I would suggest that recipients of first generation Jet-I PRO lights who feel strongly about the matter contact JetBeam directly.

In case I didn't thank you before Selfbuilt, this was a great review thank you. :thumbsup:

With regards to the info quoted above I think it's complete horse poop for them the adjust the specs and send the light out. It seems that Stereodude, CandleFranky and others are correct about the way they do things at JetBeam. I also did some research and learned of the manufacturer badgering that was mentioned. Unfortunately I don't foresee and JetBeam ownership in my future unless I hear of some big changes.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems jetbeam are doing it all over again with the Jet1 PRO,sending out bad lights (internally) they did it with the JetII MK3 on this one under powered.

Then will come the cheeky bit,a V2 will be announced once all V1's are sold.This happened within one week of me getting my JetII MK3 V1 and there was no offer of a free LE upgrade.

The thing is they make great lights ,but they could be brilliant if they could get the electronics sorted out first time round IMO.

I guess if I buy Jetbeam in the future,I will wait for the V2's.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I guess if I buy Jetbeam in the future,I will wait for the V2's.
I guess if they do not offer a free "repair", I will not buy any more lights from JetBeam, because I have to recognize that they are not serious with their "lifetime warrenty". :thumbsdow

Let's wait and see ...

redbird

Enlightened
I just received an email from BOG that says mine is on the way. So, a lot of us here will be watching this very closely and reporting back for everyone to be in the loop.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
i'm not sure if you missed this but any info on this?:naughty:
I'm not ignoring you :) - it's just that I don't normally give battery current draw data. Even on my DMM's 10A port, I've noticed that actual output can be affected, calling into question the accuracy of the data.

In this case of the Jet-I PRO, I know that if I hook up my DMM with NiMH I get slightly reduced out on low mode, and Med and Hi are basically the same (and both reduced from normal). So the current draw data would be misleading.

However, I have just verified with 14500, and I get the full expect output. So I think it's fair to report my 14500 battery current draw results (on 1A readout scale, leads on 10A port):
Lo: 0.23A
Med: 0.84A
Hi: 0.69A

Interesting result: the Med mode is pulling more current at the battery than HI, which is entirely consistent with the lower runtimes.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, I have just verified with 14500, and I get the full expect output. So I think it's fair to report my 14500 current draw results:
Lo: 2.3mA
Med: 8.4mA
Hi: 6.8mA
That can't possibly be correct. Those currents are way too low. They should be close to 1A on high.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That can't possibly be correct. Those currents are way too low. They should be close to 1A on high.
Sorry about that - DMM was off by a couple of decimal points on mA output scale for some reason. Re-ran on A output scale, and have re-posted the numbers in the post above.

Note however that these are only current draws taken at the battery. Emitter current draw should be close to 1A at the maximum, but that would require desoldering one of the leads to test at the emitter contacts.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note however that these are only current draws taken at the battery. Emitter current draw should be close to 1A at the maximum, but that would require desoldering one of the leads to test at the emitter contacts.
Yes, but P=iV and the circuit isn't 100% efficient. If the Vf of the LED is 3.7V and you want 1A on the LED you'll need to pull about 1.1A from a battery at 4.2V because a buck-boost converter can't be more than about 80% efficient. My estimate is that the JET-I PRO has no more than 600mA on the emitter in high. (.69A*4.2V*80%/3.7V)

marc123

Newly Enlightened
I guess if they do not offer a free "repair", I will not buy any more lights from JetBeam, because I have to recognize that they are not serious with their "lifetime warrenty". :thumbsdow

Let's wait and see ...

Me too.

MiniLux

Newly Enlightened

Let's wait and see ...

+1

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of what I might add to this concise and authoritative review is difficult, but here goes.

I received mine from BOG yesterday. It's very impressive. Compared it with several others for throw in pre-dawn comparo reaching out about 100 meters to a line of trees.

The Jet-1 has a tight beam, almost as bright at that reach as the Taskforce 2C. Beats the Romisen RC-F4 (2xCR123) easily, and within the beam pattern, brighter than the Fenix L2D Q5 (2xAA).

The low light level "throws" nicely for interior sweeps into corners and adjacent rooms. It's a bit brighter than you really need for most dark house tasks (where is that pair of black shoes in the back of the closet, are these socks black or blue?). The pattern has enough spill to fit those needs, though.

Selfbuilt's data indicate I can get 3+ hours use on low (and a pretty bright low) from one Eneloop. Wow. An hour of really strong output on high! Apparently the "medium" setting suffers from poor circuit design.

If this uses pulse width modulation, I cannot see or hear (if I put my Fenix L0D up to my ear it's obvious, a audible tone in the kHz range being the result in either low or medium. It must be very high frequency - above 20 kHz? My other test is to shine on an intermittent stream of water from the faucet, PWM strobing produces a very noticeable motion freezing. I see no evidence of PWM, either (?).

Materials, workmanship and finish are as good as any light I have seen. Nothing I can find to fault. I'd bet this will handle rough service and be quite reliable - I like the spring loading on both ends of the battery. The fit tolerances are great, and the square thread mating is near perfect.

The user interface is quite workable, and I like the "memory" feature a lot. Mine will likely be used mostly indoors, and stay in low. Easily bumps up to high with a couple of presses on the clicky.

Great pocket clip. Rides on my nylon mesh belt securely, and has a thin enough profile that is still feels fine in my hand. I'm leaving mine in place.

The lanyard is just OK, mainly because the metal attachment clip is just stamped spring/hook. Easily improved, though. You'd have thought for $80 they could provide a nice lobster claw/pivot. I don't figure to use it much. This light is easily pocketable in jeans.

The shelf packaging is a bit cheesy - they might as well have used a plastic clamshell (although some of those are pretty hateful). This is surprising because they have put some effort into the thin cardboard box, it even has magnets to hold the top closed - all the fiberboard is diecut and folded/tucked. BOG shipped mine a USPS priority box, and it arrived unhurt. Shipped in a padded envelope it would likely have been squashed as Selfbuilt's (very nice) photos indicate.

I'm very pleased, overall. The inefficient medium setting won't concern me, wouldn't have likely used it much anyway.

I doubt I will be buying many CR123's now even at a buck. High output and efficient LED's (thank you, Cree) combined with the Sanyo low discharge AA's and effective (well, 2/3) boost circuits yield a really nice package, and Jetbeam has put this together well.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the support everyone - glad you are finding the review useful. :).

I especially appreciate that you use a Quickbeam style lightbox, as I do. My figures for the lights you test are very close to yours. Very usefull for me when contemplating a light purchase. Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thinking of what I might add to this concise and authoritative review is difficult, but here goes. ... High output and efficient LED's (thank you, Cree) combined with the Sanyo low discharge AA's and effective (well, 2/3) boost circuits yield a really nice package, and Jetbeam has put this together well.
Wow, thanks for excellent additional comments and observations. :thumbsup:

I agree completely, it's a nice light in its own right. Part of the problem is that suffers in terms of runtime compared to other AA lights. But as you point out, that may not matter to those running on rechargeables (thank you LSD technology!).

I especially appreciate that you use a Quickbeam style lightbox, as I do. My figures for the lights you test are very close to yours. Very usefull for me when contemplating a light purchase. Thanks!
The poor man's low-tech integrating sphere. :grin2:

Seriously, while this is a useful tool, it also has its limitations. For one, positioning of the light is critical (I strive to be as consistent as possible in that regard). More significantly, I've noticed really bright lights and very strong throwers tend to be under-valued at their highest settings (i.e. the box reports less than I would expect). This is where I think a ceiling bounce test is probably more useful.

Still, as long as you don't worry too much about the actual number and compare only relative differences, it is a pretty useful ad hoc solution. We all owe Doug (Quickbeam) a continuing debt of gratitude for setting the standard. :bow:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... I've noticed really bright lights and very strong throwers tend to be under-valued at their highest settings (i.e. the box reports less than I would expect).

I ran across this when testing the Fenix T1 and P3D Q5. Both showed about 170lm in my box. Chevrofreak's test showed about 200lm for both. Of course he has a better setup.

copperfox

Enlightened
I think this is one of the best looking flashlights of all time. It's a shame it suffers from circuitry problems (read: poor design and/or testing) and that it has such a small, well-defined hotspot. Am I the only person who things such a small flashlight should be oriented to provide good illumination at short distances (read: floody beam) rather than long distances? Sheesh. If I want to see 100ft away at night, I'll use a bigger flashlight. A textured reflector would be a start.

psyrens

Newly Enlightened
In original post;

Efficiency on Med-Lo mode is significantly lower than the competition. Further, there's an issue with 14500 on Med having both lower output and lower runtime than Hi - this needs to be fixed.
EDIT: JetBeam has informed me that they plan to fix the Med-14500 issue for the next batch of lights.

I wonder if it apply for the current Jet pro in stock in BOG?
Can anyone recently ordered this light confirm it's fixed? ...:thinking:

I hope they also fixed weird performance on alkaline batteries.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Jet-I Pro. Pretty neat light, shame about the poor circuit design (would ours be replaced under warranty with a new light engine?). You can focus it and get a floodier hot spot as opposed to a tight hot spot. It throws well for a light its size.